Uniworld and Viking comparisons

Viktoria

Have cruised on Uniworld twice. Now are considering changing to Viking for a Duoro river cruise. Will we be disappointed with Viking after being on Uiworld? We usually book a level 2 cabin.

Have taken several Viking river cruises. Now changed to Uniworld for a Duoro river cruise. I do not expect to be disappointed. We booked a L2 on Uniworld and book Veranda B on Viking.

One big change is the decor. Viking's clean Scandinavian look gets disparaged as "looking like a cafeteria" and Uniworld's ostentatious decorations as "reminiscent of a funeral parlor". Get by these and you're good to go.

You will need to bring euros and get change on Viking for 2 euro tips per person to guides and 1 euro per person for bus drivers. If you want to drink liquor in quantity or have access to better wines on Viking, buy their Silver Spirits package at ~30 euros per day per room. We don't since our bar bill for a couple wine upgrades and a couple martinis has never been over 50 euros.

Consider the recommended end of cruise tip suggestions for Program Director and crew as part of the cost of a Viking cruise. Can put on credit card.

• 1 month later...

we have been on several viking river cruises. they have been from good to excellent. AMA to Russia was not better, actually, not as good. Booked on uniworld to Egypt. We choose by date and itinerary. There will not be huge differences, in my opinion. Decor does not matter to me. Room size is always small. Food and wine and tours are the important factors. Bordeaux to Bordeaux on Viking long ship could not have been better. Viking requires payment too early, that is my biggest issue.