Guided hikes in Ketchikan

Mare10

I'm hoping some of you have taken guided hikes in Ketchikan. We aren't comfortable venturing out on our own and have enjoyed going with a guide on other cruises.

Thanks for any ideas. We'll be there next May but only have the morning in Ketchikan.

Marilyn :)

I realize you said you wanted guided hikes, but thought I'd answer anyway... I have done self guided hikes in Ketchikan, and used the US Forest Service trails guide: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5413489.pdf. The guide has descriptions, ratings for difficulty, and maps. Some trails are accessible by foot from the dock, whereas others require a ride. I generally rent a car from Alaskan Car Rental, a local rental agency.

Edited by RSF Cruiser

I realize you said you wanted guided hikes, but thought I'd answer anyway... I have done self guided hikes in Ketchikan, and used the US Forest Service trails guide: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5413489.pdf. The guide has descriptions, ratings for difficulty, and maps. Some trails are accessible by foot from the dock, whereas others require a ride. I generally rent a car from Alaskan Car Rental, a local rental agency.

Thanks for your input!

There are numerous trails to pick from and most are well marked and traveled. Unfortunately what you are going to find with anything "guided" is going to be pretty basic and worthless to anyone but a very beginner. I'd suggest you arrange something private, contact the visitor center for recommendations.

General information for those going on your own. the Deer Mt trail is right in the downtown areas, and very popular, well marked trail. it can be challenging, but easy to just do, what you consider "half way", then return. With a car rental, I really like Perseverance Trail out by Ward Lake. Ward Lake trail , is also excellent. If out there, keep going and at least take a look at Settler's Cove area. Great opportunities there too. Easy to add a stop at Totem Bight.

For those going "guided", frankly, I would know where you are going, ahead of time and do some homework on that hiking area. You are paying a lot of money, for something, otherwise free, so be certain it is exactly what you are looking for. My opinion only, it is a mistake to just leave the location unknown, until you get there. At the least, know a narrowed down list of a couple trails, since selection may need to be flexible. I, frankly, don't find this a good option, if you are committed to a guided tour, with no regard to weather. Id suggest verifying the terms of the tour and what if any cancellation conditions apply. It's miserable hiking in pouring cold rain.

• 1 month later...
We are taking one in 2 weeks with Wild Wolf Tours. We too wanted someone "in the know" to take us. They came highly recommended. Will post after we return the pros and cons.

We LOVED (repeat LOVED) Tracy's tour from Wild Wolf Tours. Tracy gave us a great history of Ketchikan (she's a native) as we drove to the Totem Village . We learned a lot about totems and the symbols and history/legends behind them. The ride to Tongass Nat'l Park was not too long and again, Tracy shared a lot of information about the area and history. The hike along the Lunch Creek Trail was great-full of info, beautiful spots for pictures and lots of lovely nature. She even had info (and swaps to share) about geocaching for our 13 yr old Girl Scout to do. She went at a pace that was good--we had a few folks who straggled behind--and we never felt rushed nor too slow. After the hike, Tracy had some wonderful salmon spread for us to taste and shared more information about her clan and some blankets, drums and other native pieces.

I feel we got so much more out of this hike than if we had just gone on our own-even with a map/info guide. Tracy is wonderful and very knowledgeable. Wild Wolf Tours is a family owned business and they were very accommodating to us when we had to cancel last year (cruise cancelled when I went into the hospital). Would highly recommend them to anyone visiting Ketchikan.

We LOVED (repeat LOVED) Tracy's tour from Wild Wolf Tours. Tracy gave us a great history of Ketchikan (she's a native) as we drove to the Totem Village . We learned a lot about totems and the symbols and history/legends behind them. The ride to Tongass Nat'l Park was not too long and again, Tracy shared a lot of information about the area and history. The hike along the Lunch Creek Trail was great-full of info, beautiful spots for pictures and lots of lovely nature. She even had info (and swaps to share) about geocaching for our 13 yr old Girl Scout to do. She went at a pace that was good--we had a few folks who straggled behind--and we never felt rushed nor too slow. After the hike, Tracy had some wonderful salmon spread for us to taste and shared more information about her clan and some blankets, drums and other native pieces.

I feel we got so much more out of this hike than if we had just gone on our own-even with a map/info guide. Tracy is wonderful and very knowledgeable. Wild Wolf Tours is a family owned business and they were very accommodating to us when we had to cancel last year (cruise cancelled when I went into the hospital). Would highly recommend them to anyone visiting Ketchikan.

Thank you for the good review! We have booked with wild Wolf Tours as well and we are looking forward to it. I've done guided hikes before and I enjoy them a lot and have not been disappointed yet!

We are just back at the ship in Ketchikan- did a hike this morning with Tracy of Wild Wolf Tours. We are a group of 4 active seniors; there was also a family with two school aged boys. I echo the comments above! The your was wonderful and nicer than if we'd done it on our own.

We do plenty self - guided, but loved the 3 hour excursion with Tracy!

Mary