4 ships at Coxen Hole - will I have to tender?

Cafabi

If you're in port on the 19th of Dec., the Vision of the Seas is the largest passenger wise. And gets in before the 2 NCL ships. The Crystal ship arrive an hour before but being small may tender, thus you probably have a good chance of getting the dock.

Thanks! I read somewhere that the pier was owned by Royal Caribbean. Is that still the case? One would think that there ships would get priority if it is.

It amazes me how knowledgeable you are!:D

Thanks! I read somewhere that the pier was owned by Royal Caribbean. Is that still the case? One would think that there ships would get priority if it is.

It amazes me how knowledgeable you are!:D

This may help, although I see they are still calling Maya key, “Fins n Flippers”!

https://roatantourismbureau.com/port-of-roatan

It says three ships. Certainly I have been there on Liberty with Norwegian tendering.

This may help, although I see they are still calling Maya key, “Fins n Flippers”!

https://roatantourismbureau.com/port-of-roatan

It says three ships. Certainly I have been there on Liberty with Norwegian tendering.

Thanks for the link. Very informative. I'll be there for the second time on LIberty on the 29th.

So is Coxen Hole within walking distance of the ships? I've seen excursions that say they'll drop you off there after a tour, but getting back to the ship is up to the passenger. We're sailing on the Harmony next year.

So is Coxen Hole within walking distance of the ships? I've seen excursions that say they'll drop you off there after a tour, but getting back to the ship is up to the passenger. We're sailing on the Harmony next year.

Coxen Hole is the Town where the Port of Roatan is. This is the pier used by RCCL.

Not sure what sort of excursions you are looking at , most drop you off inside the port authority but you may have to walk outside the gates to meet them if it is independent.

If you went wish to experience Coxen Hole and your excursion will drop you off in town, getting to the ship is easy. The ship can be seen from about any place in town just follow the road along the coast. It may take 10-15 minutes.

Thank you!! That helps a lot.

I will repeat that I have never known an excursion drop you off anywhere in Coxen Hole other than inside the port gates unless you were to request otherwise. Not sure what excursion you are considering that would suggest otherwise?

Coxen Hole is not a town for random sightseeing unless you have some partícular place in mind and look like you know what you are doing.

I am guessing that may be out of date. I see at least two other sites listing the Gem at Nassau on that day.

NCL's website confirms that you are correct. There go two cruise calendars that I thought I could trust.

NCL's website confirms that you are correct. There go two cruise calendars that I thought I could trust.

Lol no problem, i like that one too!

However sometimes it is printed a long time in advance and schedules change so best to check one or two options.

Here's what some of the excursions state... "On the return bus ride you’ll venture through Coxen Hole, the Bay Islands’ capital town, where you can either stay on the bus heading back to port, or be dropped off in the city to explore further and arrange your own transportation back to the ship. RTE5" That's why I was confused. I wasn't sure exactly how close Coxen Hole was, or if it could be a problem getting back to the ship. Perhaps we'll just line up something through Victor Bodden tours. They seem to have a good rating here at Cruise Critic.

Here's what some of the excursions state... "On the return bus ride you’ll venture through Coxen Hole, the Bay Islands’ capital town, where you can either stay on the bus heading back to port, or be dropped off in the city to explore further and arrange your own transportation back to the ship. RTE5" That's why I was confused. I wasn't sure exactly how close Coxen Hole was, or if it could be a problem getting back to the ship. Perhaps we'll just line up something through Victor Bodden tours. They seem to have a good rating here at Cruise Critic.

I haven’t been with Bodden but I have had private drivers for the day with other companies several times. If there are two of you it will generally be $40pp for your own vehicle for the day to stop where you want for as long as you want instead of waiting for a group. If there are more than two there is a sliding scale so more than two you will do better than the cruiseline price.

In my opinion, I would just go back to the port at the end and browse the port shops, there is not much in Coxen Hole that you won’t see just driving through. Other people may disagree but I walked through Coxen Hole 10+ years ago and again briefly this year. It has improved slightly but I didn’t see anything to change my mind. Every other time I have just driven through en route to where I was going.

I think the appeal of Coxen Hole or not is purely personal. I have an almost pathological need to see what's around the next corner, wandering through the streets of Coxen Hole is interesting to me. It gives one a more authentic experience to island life than would the installation of an excursion.

To each their own, one must do what feels comfortable for them.

I think the appeal of Coxen Hole or not is purely personal. I have an almost pathological need to see what's around the next corner, wandering through the streets of Coxen Hole is interesting to me. It gives one a more authentic experience to island life than would the installation of an excursion.

To each their own, one must do what feels comfortable for them.

I have done it. I didn’t say I was uncomfortable I said it wasn’t particularly interesting to me - big difference. I also said others may disagree, as clearly you do.

However, for a first time cruise visitor, who is tired after an excursion I don’t consider looking round Coxen Hole is a “must-do”, compared to some other port towns, unless they have read about some place they actually want to check out.

As a land visitor I think you forget that cruise ship visitors sometimes have to prioritize where to spend their time.

I have done it. I didn’t say I was uncomfortable I said it wasn’t particularly interesting to me - big difference. I also said others may disagree, as clearly you do.

However, for a first time cruise visitor, who is tired after an excursion I don’t consider looking round Coxen Hole is a “must-do”, compared to some other port towns, unless they have read about some place they actually want to check out.

As a land visitor I think you forget that cruise ship visitors sometimes have to prioritize where to spend their time.

The question wasn't about must Do's, the question was can it be done.

I do understand time. I also understand if an individual wants to experience Coxen Hole after their excursion they can because the ship can be seen from town and it's walking distance.

I'm not in the business of telling people what to do with their holidays. I'm not in the business of telling people what to do at all. I simply post to answer questions, and I hope some of my answers are worthwhile.

It has absolutely nothing to do with you or your choices. I was simply answering a question.

I do hope everyone enjoys the island. I will not be posting to this thread again.