Just Back

Rylee123

We just got back from our 5 day cruise. We had a great time. When we docked in Havana the power was out in the terminal. Couldn’t exchange our funds to Cucs. Kind of worried about what we would be able to do but most places took our Canadian funds and just did the exchange. We did the 4 hour walking tour and got to see a lot of interesting sites. The next day we did the two hour Old Car Tour. We had a convertible and toured the city. After the tour we wanted to go to a restaurant to have lunch. Our tour guide walked us over to has favorite restaurant. Most of the Cubansdid speak English. Just a reminder....take your own toilet paper.

We just got back from our 5 day cruise. We had a great time. When we docked in Havana the power was out in the terminal. Couldn’t exchange our funds to Cucs. Kind of worried about what we would be able to do but most places took our Canadian funds and just did the exchange. We did the 4 hour walking tour and got to see a lot of interesting sites. The next day we did the two hour Old Car Tour. We had a convertible and toured the city. After the tour we wanted to go to a restaurant to have lunch. Our tour guide walked us over to has favorite restaurant. Most of the Cubansdid speak English. Just a reminder....take your own toilet paper.

Thanks for the review. Question: did you check P2P or SFTCP on the form for your visa?

Thanks again-chris

Our tour guide walked us over to has favorite restaurant.

Just realize that when they do this, they are getting a cut from the owner for bringing in business, not that the guide necessarily has eaten there often and thinks the food is terrific. That's just the way it works in Cuba. If he actually led you to one you liked, so much the better for you, though.

So, that brings me to my question, the power outage. We here in the US can not exchange money prior to the cruise for CUCs (as we can with Euro's Pounds, etc.) So I was thinking about exchanging my USD for CAD. To confirm, Cuba takes CAD's with no issue? Just wondering what the best way to hit the streets of Havana are. I don't want to get stuck in long lines to exchange USD for CUD's at the port. I have private tours scheduled and need cash upon entering.

Appreciate you take on the matter.

No, they don’t take ANY foreign currency with “no issue”. Some people/places may take them and some may not. Anyone who takes them will have to wait in line to exchange them and will pay the exchange fee.

There’s is a 10% penalty for exchanging US and Canadian dollars to CUC. my advise is to get Euros for your bank and exchange it in Cuba for CUC, only a 3% exchange penalty.

I thought the 10% was just for US, not Canada

There’s is a 10% penalty for exchanging US and Canadian dollars to CUC. my advise is to get Euros for your bank and exchange it in Cuba for CUC, only a 3% exchange penalty.

There hasn't been a 10% penalty on CAD ... ONLY USD. When did the 10% penalty on Canadian Dollars start? I was there a year ago and there have been MANY people on CC talking about their trips to Cuba and no one has said anything about the 10% fee for CAD. Just curious if there might be a mix up.

There are many currency exchange places in town, so don’t worry if the cadeca in the terminal is not operational when you are there. We went to one right off of San Francisco square (across from the terminal) and bypassed all of the lines. The rates are the same, so better to head outside and exchange your money elsewhere.

This may seem stupid but, if you have leftover CUC's can you exchange them back or are you just stuck with them?

We will be on 7/23 cruise and have tour booked for 1st day but just planning on exploring old Havana and souvenir shopping on our own the second day. Read some other reviews that said people had no problem going off on their own. See that you toured both days. Did you every go on your own or talk to anyone else that did?

This may seem stupid but, if you have leftover CUC's can you exchange them back or are you just stuck with them?

We will be on 7/23 cruise and have tour booked for 1st day but just planning on exploring old Havana and souvenir shopping on our own the second day. Read some other reviews that said people had no problem going off on their own. See that you toured both days. Did you every go on your own or talk to anyone else that did?

We were able to exchange the CUC’S back at the terminal. My husband and I did go off on our own. Never felt afraid walking around. Went to a hotel that Hemingway stayed in and had drinks in the bar overlooking the city

For those who also might like to do this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Ambos_Mundos_(Havana)

The Ambos Mundos is actually on the restricted locations list. Americans are not permitted to do business with them, as they are owned by a holding company connected with the Cuban military.

https://www.state.gov/e/eb/tfs/spi/cuba/cubarestrictedlist/275331.htm

Fair warning, math is not my strong suit so please bear with me.

As of this moment in time

117 USD gets you 100 Euros

100 Euros gets you 117 CUCs

So therefore 117 USD = 117 CUC

Looks like I would save 10% by going this route. But is that 10% savings going to be eaten up in fees/costs to initially convert the dollars to euros?

I will need 100 CUCs for my tour plus lunch and tips for them, tips for the Tropicana, taxi fare to/from the show, plus souvenirs (for 2 people to purchase). I was therefore estimating needing about 500 CUCs. So if I get it at the cruise ship terminal, I would need to have about $600 to make 500 CUCs. With this little amount being exchanged, does anyone think it's worth the hassle?

You'd have to consult your bank or exchange place to see what fees they charge or include for changing USD to Euros. And of course, the rate for Euros to CUC fluctuates slightly, while that for USD to CUC is fixed.

You might save, maybe, about US$20 on changing US$500 to Euros at home and then to CUC in Cuba. Worth it? Depends on how much time, effort and fees it takes to do the exchange.