Which mainstream line is more upscale?

sophiemarigold

I wrote earlier this year asking for people's advice, trying to choose btw Crystal and Silverseas.

Sadly, I am now not in the financial position to cruise either line. My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Alaska this summer. The no-brainer mainstream cruise line would be Celebrity (I have a good friend who has cruised all of the luxury lines and was pleasantly surprised by Celebrity). However, their itinerary has very little Glacier cruising.

The two best premium lines' itineraries, not surprisingly, are Princess and HAL. Can anyone tell me which line is more refined and low key? I don't want a mass market, theme park atmosphere and I'm worried about Princess.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

I wrote earlier this year asking for people's advice, trying to choose btw Crystal and Silverseas.

Sadly, I am now not in the financial position to cruise either line. My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Alaska this summer. The no-brainer mainstream cruise line would be Celebrity (I have a good friend who has cruised all of the luxury lines and was pleasantly surprised by Celebrity). However, their itinerary has very little Glacier cruising.

The two best premium lines' itineraries, not surprisingly, are Princess and HAL. Can anyone tell me which line is more refined and low key? I don't want a mass market, theme park atmosphere and I'm worried about Princess.

I have done 3 Alaska cruises (2 on Hal - 2007 and 2009 and 1 on Princess - 2008) and aslo 4 cruises totalling 41 days on Crystal (2007 to 2009) - so I guess I can speak to your question!

One thing to know is that all Alaska cruises are very low key. There's not as much activity on the ships - everyone is there for what's around the ship - Alaska. The night life was just as dull on Princess as it was on HAL. The HAL ships are smaller (Volendam and Ryndam) versus the Island Princess. The HAL ships are also much older (especially the Ryndam that is in dire need of work - which I understand is coming soon). There are things that are a little nicer on the HAL ships - even including cloths to dry your hands in the public restrooms versus paper towel on Princess. The food is about the same (I thought there was a decline on HAL from 2007 to 2009). The service on HAL is much superior to Princess, but the service on the Ryndam in 2009 was no where nearly what I experienced on the Volendam in 2007. The food and service issues are well discussed around Cruise Critic and seems to be a result of the economy.

I would probably go on HAL again as I prefer the smaller ships - and I think HAL has better itineraries for Alaska - especially the round trips from Seattle and Vancouver. I think HAL is a wee bit "better" than Princess - but there's probably not that much difference.

Good luck making a decision - Alaska is fabulous!

Thank you so much, Tillie. By the way, I am dying to go on a Crystal Cruise! Where have you traveled with them?

So far my Crystal cruises have sailed from US ports. I did a 7 day out of Miami to the Yucatan and Key West, a 7 day Mexican Riviera out of Los Angeles, a 14 day Panama Canal from Miami to Los Angeles and a 13 day Amazon River from Miami to Manaus, Brazil. Have a 9 day round trip out of Lisbon booked. Also have deposits for 2 cruises in 2011 - an 18 day Antarctica (Santiago to Buenos Aires) and a 12 day Alaska round trip from San Francisco. The "problem" is that after you've sailed on Crystal, lines like HAL and Princess are SO disappointing!:)

Of the three lines you have mentioned--Celebrity, Princess, and Holland America--I found Holland America to be the most upscale. There were a lot of luxury/premium touches that weren't found in the other lines--cloth towels in the restrooms, cool towels at the gangplank when returning from an excursion, flatscreen televisions in the cabin with DVD player, the ability to order room service off the main room dining menu during dinner hours, for example.

I haven't sailed to Alaska, so my cruises were in the Carirbbean (HAL's Eurodam and the Celebrity Summit) and New England (Caribbean Princess), so I don't know how the specific ships in Alaska would compare to each other, but I was surprised by all the extras HAL provided. I enjoyed cruises on all three lines and they all did a great job, and everyone has their favorites for different reasons, but if your focus is which line is most upscale, I would say Holland America.

I've done more than 25 cruises with Celebrity, and one of the trips was to Alaska, and I think they do a fantastic job. They are more upscale, are quite low key and have a very elegant ambience. Their specialty restaurant is incredible, and I honestly feel the food and service in there is akin to the experience you'd have every night in Crystal's main dining room. I recently completed my 18th Crystal cruise (most of those cruises were 17 days or longer with the longest being a 35 dayer), and they cannot be beat in my opinion. I used to pretty much cruise only Seabourn or Crystal, but my sister talked me into taking a Celebrity cruise a few years ago. She was a little afraid that I wouldn't like it because of what I was used to on those lines, but I was very pleasantly surprised. It was very, very good.

BTW, Celebrity has a lot of upscale amenities. They have the cloth towels in the public restrooms, the cold towels awaiting when you return from a shore excursion, the ability to order off the main dining room menu for dinner, and their M Class ships are starting to go through multi-million dollar face lifts beginning this April. They will put in upscale linens, flat screen TV's in all cabins, and a lot more higher end amenities.

Hi Kittie,

Thank you. Yes, Celebrity seemed like the most upscale and that was my choice until I saw how lacking in glacier cruising they are this year. Only a few hours of the hubbard glacier. No glacier bay, because apparently the parent company, RCCI, dumped waste illegally in Alaska so their permit for Glacier bay has been revoked. I'm just afraid that such limited glacier viewing will be a disappointment compared with the full day and a half you get on HAL and Princess.

:)

Hi Kittie,

Thank you. Yes, Celebrity seemed like the most upscale and that was my choice until I saw how lacking in glacier cruising they are this year. Only a few hours of the hubbard glacier. No glacier bay, because apparently the parent company, RCCI, dumped waste illegally in Alaska so their permit for Glacier bay has been revoked. I'm just afraid that such limited glacier viewing will be a disappointment compared with the full day and a half you get on HAL and Princess.

I agree with you as to the glacier experience. I've seen the Hubbard twice (HAL) - both days exceptional weather - so that helps. It is a much shorter experience than Glacier Bay, but can be just spectacular - because of the SIZE of the Hubbard. However, my recommendation for a first time cruiser is to do Glacier Bay. I'll be back to Glacier Bay in early July, 2011 on the Crystal Symphony.:) (Unless rates get really cheap like last year - doubtful - and I get to add a "quicky" in 2010!!:D)

Which cruise are you taking in July. We are going to be on the Symphony July 20 to Alaska. 2011 cannot come fast enough!

I'm going on the one that leaves San Francisco on June 26th. Wanted to be in Alaska as close as possible to the summer solstice. My first 3 Alaska cruises were Aug 10-17, Aug. 18-26 and July 10-17. Can't wait to sail on the Symphony under the Golden Gate Bridge!:)

The experience of sailing on the Harmonsy under the Golden Gate Bridge with the band playing and a glass of Champagne in my hand sold me, a cruise cynic, on Crystal! I can't imagine sailing on another line, except the other luxury lines.

• 4 weeks later...

I, too, have the "problem" of having sailed on Crystal --- I sailed with HAL to Alaska and loved it, but realized even before I boarded my first Crystal cruise that I was entering an entirely different world! Can't imagine ever going on another line, which means I won't be going as often. :-( I looked into Celebrity, but it seems that their food and service declined this year (re: cruise critic).

It's funny you should mention Crystal. It is the only cruise line that we've traveled on. In fact, our first cruise was to Alaska on the Harmony and we are booked to go back on the Symphony in 2011. It's a long time to wait between cruises, but Crystal in an experience that can seriously spoil you. I imagine that my wife an I will try other luxury lines, but the large size of the mass market lines really turns us off.

I'm not sure if we are answering the question here. Most of the ships discussed on this thread are "premium" rather than "mainstream" cruise lines. Celebrity, HAL, Princess, Oceania and Azamara are "premium" (by most -- not all definitions). Crystal of course, is luxury - along with Regent, Silbersea, Seabourn, etc.

If the OP wants the most upscale mainstream cruiseline, shouldn't we be looking at NCL, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, etc.:confused:

I'm not sure if we are answering the question here. Most of the ships discussed on this thread are "premium" rather than "mainstream" cruise lines. Celebrity, HAL, Princess, Oceania and Azamara are "premium" (by most -- not all definitions). Crystal of course, is luxury - along with Regent, Silbersea, Seabourn, etc.

If the OP wants the most upscale mainstream cruiseline, shouldn't we be looking at NCL, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, etc.:confused:

Oceania and Azamara probably are premium, but I don't think you could classify HAL, Princess and Celebrity as that - anymore. I saw a drastic decline in HAL from 2007 ro 2009. Food and service (still nice Indonesian and Filipino crew - just so many fewer to serve the same number of passengers) aren't what they used to be. One example of the mass marketing is the number of announcements pushing things. UGH!

Oceania and Azamara probably are premium, but I don't think you could classify HAL, Princess and Celebrity as that - anymore. I saw a drastic decline in HAL from 2007 ro 2009. Food and service (still nice Indonesian and Filipino crew - just so many fewer to serve the same number of passengers) aren't what they used to be. One example of the mass marketing is the number of announcements pushing things. UGH!

Thank you for the information. It seems to be happening to all the cruise lines. There is a definite decline in food and service on some of the luxury lines as well.:(

Thank you for the information. It seems to be happening to all the cruise lines. There is a definite decline in food and service on some of the luxury lines as well.:(

You're a Regent fan, aren't you? From what I've read here, many are complaining that Regent isn't what it used to be. Come on over to Crystal, I've not seen any decline there in service, food quality, etc.!:D:):D:)

You're a Regent fan, aren't you? From what I've read here, many are complaining that Regent isn't what it used to be. Come on over to Crystal, I've not seen any decline there in service, food quality, etc.!

Oops, I can tell you've been "Crystalized". :eek::D Actually, I've had long discussions with a friend who loves Crystal.. . . we've been through the discussions of "I don't want to sign when I have a drink" and "there is enough OBC to cover tips, drinks, etc.". . . and the fact that I don't have to eat in the main dining room and therefore do not have to have set seating. I do believe that Crystal is an amazing cruise line -- has great food, service and entertainment. You know there is going to be a "however" in here somewhere. . . . we do prefer smaller ships where we can dine wherever we want, with large suites and where we do not have to sign for anything. We are not having any difficulty with Regent . . . but, have looked into Seabourn because of some enticing itineraries.

Hmmmmm, maybe you should try Regent and give us a comparison:confused::D;)

Oops, I can tell you've been "Crystalized". :eek::D Actually, I've had long discussions with a friend who loves Crystal.. . . we've been through the discussions of "I don't want to sign when I have a drink" and "there is enough OBC to cover tips, drinks, etc.". . . and the fact that I don't have to eat in the main dining room and therefore do not have to have set seating. I do believe that Crystal is an amazing cruise line -- has great food, service and entertainment. You know there is going to be a "however" in here somewhere. . . . we do prefer smaller ships where we can dine wherever we want, with large suites and where we do not have to sign for anything. We are not having any difficulty with Regent . . . but, have looked into Seabourn because of some enticing itineraries.

Hmmmmm, maybe you should try Regent and give us a comparison:confused::D;)

I travel solo - Crystal is just too perfect for those who travel solo. It starts with the 25% supplement and continues with all of the activities, classes, lecturers, entertainers, etc. I have never understood the problem with signing for your alcohol.....think you have to do that - or put down cash - anyplace else you drink in public.:p I've got my next 3 Crystal cruises already booked. Will say that most Crystal fans seem to think that Seabourn is the next best thing to Crystal.

Havent done Luxury. Mainstream I think of as CCL,RCL and NCL. But have done the other 3 you mentioned. Princess food is not as good as it was 10 yrs. ago. Did Masdam earlier this year, my first HAL cruise. Not to my taste, reminded me of Midwest 50s .Food was meat/pot./veg. every night. Their bigger ships may be better. Celebrity is a class act with same or less pricing. Solstice class ships especially. You can do a 7N out of FLA for $599. Hard to beat that.

But that is not the luxury experience, sailing with over 1500 of your closest friends! Luxury to me implies space, and that means smaller ships. What I like about Crystal are the great activities and the fact that the ship never feels crowded.

I recommend HAL for Alaska (we have been on Celebrity, SilverSea, Azamara). HAL knows how to do Alaska.

But that is not the luxury experience, sailing with over 1500 of your closest friends! Luxury to me implies space, and that means smaller ships. What I like about Crystal are the great activities and the fact that the ship never feels crowded.

True, but the OP is specifically saying she cannot afford luxury at this time and would like to know about mainstream (affordable) cruise lines she may be satisfied with.

I really don't like the behemoth ships of most of the mainstream lines. I have heard from my parents decent things about NCL, not-so-great things about a relatively recent HAL trip they took (but haven't sailed them myself).

NCL does appear to have at least one itinerary with fairly good glacier access, and I did find a Celebrity itinerary that had some glacier-related ports. Keep in mind you can tour more glaciers during excursions...

• 2 weeks later...

Azamara! (Note that I have been on SilverSea, HAL, Celebrity, Swan Hellenic.)

Archived