Eurodam: steel, step and slide

Boytjie

The board is a better barrier than there was at the missing slide opening. That had only a strip of yellow caution tape. A bad slip, right as you walked by it, could have resulted in a terrible injury. As it was I stubbed by foot on the wooden pilings in the water.

So the stairs were damaged since 2/12? We were there then--no slide, but stairs. We were told the slide had been damaged and was being repaired..in Holland.

I can't believe we missed the slide by a week or so!!:eek: Better not tell the six year old...:D

Thanks for the pictures, Peter. I notice that the slide is back, but now the stairs are gone! (am I seeing this correctly?) How does one get back up??? :eek:

Walk all the way around, I guess. :D Maybe that is why I did not see anyone use the slide. Or was it because the water was rather chilly?

Actually, that's the "Ruth Step." The "Rev Step" (the one I tripped over) is on the right side, not the left. :D ;)

We both tripped over the starboard side step. I went first; you were second. I can't recall who was third, but that was starboard, too.

Kind of a stumble hat trick (in honor of the hockey game just being tied up :D).

Here's a photo of the Grand Cabana at HMC back in November (when we were there aboard the Rotterdam at the end of her Transatlantic crossing):

web.jpg?ver=12661133600001

Note ... no slide, but a nice set of steps.

Here are my photos from HMC from that trip. :) Ruth and all!

http://web.me.com/revneal/RevNeals_Photos,_Vol._2/Rotterdam09-9.html

We both tripped over the starboard side step. I went first; you were second. I can't recall who was third, but that was starboard, too.

Kind of a stumble hat trick (in honor of the hockey game just being tied up :D).

True. But, then, I didn't claim that you tripped over port side. ;) :D

I proclaimed the starboard side to be the "Rev Step" just to be contrary. :D

Earlier -- a few weeks back, at least -- I tried to get them to start calling it the "Ruth Step" but they refused. So ... we each get a step named after us, an I claim the starboard side, leaving the port side for you. I don't think there's anything theological in that, but there might be something political. ;):eek:

Hmmm, maybe next time we'll spring for the Grand Cabana! Don't know when we will get there next though. We are doing the RSVP Hawaiin cruise in October on the Pride of America and with a trip back to South Africa over the holidays there will not be an annual RSVP Caribbean cruise for us next February (and they are not going to Half Moon Cay anyway, calling on Costa Maya, Puerto Cortes, Roatan and Cozumel)

So who will claim naming rights for the steps on the Neuwe Amsterdam (assuming they have the same raised threshold)

I will not be aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam for her maiden voyages ... so, someone else get's the honor of naming them IF they exist. Frankly, I hope HAL figures out that those steps are a hazard and doesn't use similar steps on the next Damship. :)

Here's a photo of the Grand Cabana at HMC back in November (when we were there aboard the Rotterdam at the end of her Transatlantic crossing):

web.jpg?ver=12661133600001

Note ... no slide, but a nice set of steps.

Greg,

Out of tradition on the newly improved Nieuw Amsterdam they will be called the Rev Ramp and Ruth Ramp respectively ;)

Must say that Ruth, the Water, The Shark & The Crab are all looking HAPPY :cool:

R.

Must say that Ruth, the Water, The Shark & The Crab are all looking HAPPY :cool:

We were happy. Very happy. :D

IIRC, I read that there will be ramps on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Yea!

Can the so-called "Ruth Ramp" be on starboard this time? I really do kind of list to that side. ;)

We were happy. Very happy. :D

IIRC, I read that there will be ramps on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Yea!

Can the so-called "Ruth Ramp" be on starboard this time? I really do kind of list to that side. ;)

:eek:LOL:eek:

Absolutely, my dear Ruth! I'll be the "Left Reverend" this time. :D

So what happened to the slide ?? :confused:

It's not been posted what went wrong with the slide that it had to be repaired. Perhaps something to do with the wooden pilings? They may rot sitting in the water.

And what's that stuff floating in the water?

:confused: Maybe I'm going daft, but the only thing I see floating in the water is more water.

Originally Posted by Vic The Parrot viewpost.gif

So what happened to the slide ?? :confused:

It's not been posted what went wrong with the slide that it had to be repaired. Perhaps something to do with the wooden pilings? They may rot sitting in the water.

The slide was gone before but was back on February 19, 2010.

Originally Posted by Vic The Parrot viewpost.gif

And what's that stuff floating in the water?

:confused: Maybe I'm going daft, but the only thing I see floating in the water is more water.

There are various things that float on the water - its mainly the kiddy beach area: a shark, a crocodile/aligator, a big yellow float etc.

The slide was gone before but was back on February 19, 2010.

The slide wasn't there when I was there 11/17. The stairs were.

There are various things that float on the water - its mainly the kiddy beach area: a shark, a crocodile/aligator, a big yellow float etc.

I played with some of the toys; I just don't see them in your picture. They're out as far as the Grand Cabana. Some of them are too far out for little kids, although I remember some toys in closer to the kids' beach.

After I posted I took a look at Greg's pictures. I see the crab and the platform there.

Archived