Is the Westerdam running late tonight?

flip flop fanatic

My hubby has been online watching the webcam- Inletcam.com and noticed that the Westerdam is running very late.

She was supposed to depart at 5pm and now the FLL- Harbor Schedule is showing that she is due to depart at 1am now.

Has anyone heard anything?:confused:

We are booked for next Friday and hope that all is well.

My hubby has been online watching the webcam- Inletcam.com and noticed that the Westerdam is running very late.

She was supposed to depart at 5pm and now the FLL- Harbor Schedule is showing that she is due to depart at 1am now.

Has anyone heard anything?:confused:

We are booked for next Friday and hope that all is well.

There was an earlier thread on the Westerdam departure for today. As some posters stated, the ship has been out of the US for an extended period and must go through inspections. There may also be a wholesale crew change. It happened to us last year on the Eurodam where we left over four hours late because of a crew change of 200 and they all had to be processed, which took longer than expected. The departure had been changed earlier to 7 PM.

Earlier thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1297087&highlight=westerdam

There was an earlier thread on the Westerdam departure for today. As some posters stated, the ship has been out of the US for an extended period and must go through inspections. There may also be a wholesale crew change. It happened to us last year on the Eurodam where we left over four hours late because of a crew change of 200 and they all had to be processed, which took longer than expected. The departure had been changed earlier to 7 PM.

Earlier thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1297087&highlight=westerdam

Ahhh, that makes sense!

What a pain for the people on board who are chomping at the bit to get the vacation on! Glad I booked for a week later!

Thank you! :)

I have friends on board who telephoned me several times earlier this evening.

During the USCG inspection, it was discovered that a generator was not working properly. Captain van Maurik announced that elevator service and toilets would be shut down for approximately two hours while working on the generator - they were, and service was indeed restored. Last I heard (around 10:45pm Eastern Time), an auxiliary generator was on a flatbed truck alongside the ship waiting to be hoisted on board by two cranes and placed on Deck 10 near the funnels. I've heard nothing since.

I believe repairs were to be done during the cruise.

Just got a call from my son onboard. The backup generator arrived last night but they couldn't get a crane operator in so its being done this morning. They have announced they will miss their first stop of Grand Turks. A compensation announcement will be forthcoming. Everything on board is normal. Grand kids have been in the Club and are now in the pool. Apparently the backup generator was working but not at full capacity. Given the Carnival Splendor ordeal and owned by the same company probably led to being super cautious.

They better get it fixed. We are on in 2 weeks.

I just got a call from friends of our who are currently on the Westerdam (11 a.m. EST) and they were still in Ft. Lauderdale. My friend told me that the first generator was too heavy for the crane to lift so they had to get another generator. Of course they missed Grand Turk and Caicos islands. She said that last night they grilled steaks on the Lido deck, had racks of ribs and side dishes. I asked her about the mood of the passengers and she said that the ones she had talked with were fine with all of this and she had not heard anyone complaining.

Archived