Mercury

meow!

We haven't been watching for a while. Does anyone know what will happen to the lovely ship Mercury? We had been on her to Alaska a few times some years back.

She is going to Germany. The same company that bought Galaxy is

getting Mercury too. TIU (that is the name of the company).

she is the mercury no more and ended her sailing in baltimore on sat, 2/26. she is under german rule and will be sadly missed by all who sailed her...................

look back on the main page and read tuggers live from the mercury the final two...............she has a lot of information about the final two sailings..........

we are all very sad:(

Thank you, at least she will still have an "after life" with another company. She was our first cruise ship, the one which introduced us to crusing in her first year. We had been in an inside cabin, a regular balcony cabin and a sky suite on her. We also met her a couple of times when we were aboard other vessels. Wish her good sailing, even under another brand name.

P.S. With the Middle East the way it is, Mercury's new owners just may have to find her a new home port than Dubai !

I was traveling Southbound on I-95 thru Baltimore today (Sunday Feb. 27, 2011) and I think I saw the Mercury. The Carnival Pride was to the left (at the cruise port) and the Celebrity ship was to the right (in Locus Point). I even took a video.

I was traveling Southbound on I-95 thru Baltimore today (Sunday Feb. 27, 2011) and I think I saw the Mercury. The Carnival Pride was to the left (at the cruise port) and the Celebrity ship was to the right (in Locus Point). I even took a video.

Yes, Mercury [or is it already Mein Schiff 2?] is still in Baltimore. She was moved to the Inner Harbor side of Locust Point and is docked at a pier very near the City of Baltimore Fireboats at Ft. McHenry. (Great views from Canton)

As your husband noted in the video, there appears to be three large cranes off loading something [furniture perhaps].

It is all too sad.

I know the shipyard conversion for her is going to be pretty extensive inside and out. I wonder at what point they will offload all the soft furnishings like mattress, curtains, all the furniture in the public spaces, etc. I also wonder what will become of all her art, the rotating sculpture in the lobby, etc.

Artwork goes to corporate, chairs and other furniture and soft goods were being 'disposed of' in Baltimore. Some of the things used in the productions was being donated to a new Little Theater group. The big, big rotating thing was to be torn apart and 'disposed of' in Baltimore. It all will be either trashed or incinerated. Same with dishes, etc. The ship will leave considerably lighter than it came in.

Artwork goes to corporate, chairs and other furniture and soft goods were being 'disposed of' in Baltimore. Some of the things used in the productions was being donated to a new Little Theater group. The big, big rotating thing was to be torn apart and 'disposed of' in Baltimore. It all will be either trashed or incinerated. Same with dishes, etc. The ship will leave considerably lighter than it came in.

Wish they could have saved the rotating art in the atrium....

That seems to be an awful lot of furniture to just throw away. I hope they 'dispose' of it to a local charity.

The Mercury is only 13 years old. If Celebrity is still expanding, why sell such a lovely ship? We like these "older", "smaller" ships, more than those oversized newer ones of the future!

According to remarks made by Dan Hanrahan earlier this month, X doesn't like the "older" ships as much as their customers do. It shall be interesting to see how much longer the Century will remain in the fleet...

"In a few weeks' time the 1997-built Celebrity Mercury is to be transferred to Germany's TUI Cruises, a joint venture operation part-owned by Celebrity's parent company Royal Caribbean. From May the 1,800-passenger ship will be sailing as Mein Schiff 2.

It was apparent that Hanrahan would be happy to see the 16-year-old Celebrity Century taken off his hands to become Mein Schiff 3, but it does not appear to be an option in the immediate future.

Later this year it will begin a season of cruises based in Australia, before returning to Alaska in summer 2012.

Hanrahan was quick to stress that the ship remains popular, has some of the line's best crew on board, and was still benefitting from investment in maintenance. But there are no plans to Solsticise the vessel and his pledge that it would be part of the Celebrity fleet "for the foreseeable future" hinted that he would welcome an approach from anyone with a fat cheque book prepared to take it off his hands."

Who made you the expert?:rolleyes:

Archived