Packing Cubes

I think it depends on how you pack.

I use a packing cube for organization rather than space saving. It holds together the small stuff. I use a tube cube for all electronic charging cords, our travel alarm clock and a tap light for the bathroom.

I don't use them for packing clothes necessarily. If we have an over night stay before a cruise I will use a packing folder for everything we need for that first night and the next day. That's so we don't have to disturb the rest of the suitcase.

However, if you pack in a duffel or large backpack, I can see how they would be invaluable, since there is no structure to the duffel. My sister has Rimowa luggage (polycarbonate, some people call it hard sided) that opens up to two halves. She likes the packing cubes so her stuff doesn't fall out when her case is opened.

If I use them I use one per suitcase, I don't try to fill my suitcase with them. We sell all shapes and sizes at the luggage store where I work and I don't encourage people to buy too many. They do add a bit of weight, probably the same as a shirt.

OK, tried to edit but for once it wouldn't let me.

As far as space saving, not so much, not like a compression bag. They may compress a bit but not so much you could tell a huge difference.

The great part about them vs. plastic zip baggies is that they will last forever if you take good care of them. Unlike plastic baggies, I wouldn't pack wet or smelly things into them. So I use the plastic zipper baggies to line the bottom of the case on the outbound trip. Other than underwear, pajamas or bathing suits I'd not pack clothing into plastic zip baggies for outbound travel, the cubes would work better to prevent wrinkles.

I found some packing cubes that compress on Travelsmith. Once the contents are in and zipped closed, there is another zipper that squishes the cube down a couple of inches or more depending on how tightly packed it is. They work well with knits or softer fabrics that don't hold wrinkles.

FYI, another thing that works well for saving space is the Eagle Creek pack-it folder. I have one that I think is 15" that I can pack up to six cotton shirts/blouses in and it compresses them pretty flat. I use it on every trip we take.

FYI, another thing that works well for saving space is the Eagle Creek pack-it folder. I have one that I think is 15" that I can pack up to six cotton shirts/blouses in and it compresses them pretty flat. I use it on every trip we take.

Just love these. I always have one for tank tops, another for shawls and my small purses.

I love the ones I bought green for me and red for DH...I like to keep underwear and shapewear in one , sox and workout clothes in another. DH does the same mostly.

I too like them so I can keep like things together but not sure it really saves too much space.

Hope you like them if you decide to buy but at least they aren't terribly expensive.

I like to bundle fold outfits together in packing cubes so that I can just take out one cube and know that I'll have everything I need for that pre/post-cruise hotel stay, without having to completely rifle through my entire suitcase looking for everything. From underwear to pajamas and everything else I'll need for that period of time, one cube will contain those items. It's like a mini suitcase within a suitcase! :)

We have Eagle Creek, Rick Steves and some generic version. They are all just fine, but I like getting the sets of three sizes. We pack DH's dress shirts in the packing folder and they stay relatively wrinkle free. Otherwise, he just puts everything in a suitcase without much thought or organization. Not me!!! I LOVE being organized! Oh, and I'm not the one that went of vacation without underwear one time! :rolleyes:

I have several brands as well, Eagle Creek and Tumi are my favs. I have some cheaper ones I purchased at Target, those always get left behind and I should probably just throw them into the Goodwill bag so someone else can use them. I do have the advantage of my employee discount, so these things don't cost me as much, but I still try not to buy many, you don't really need more than 1-2 per suitcase. I even get them as promos from the managers meetings, we win them during sales contests...I have a bunch of them.

Just an FYI, if you are concerned about added weight from the cubes and folders, Eagle Creek carries a new line that is almost weightless now, called Specter:

http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/dept.asp?s_id=0&dept_id=3074&page=2&mscssid=1UXG8QWGRQ2M8JPEE0PJS23838500439

I don't have any of them (yet) but they sell out like hotcakes when we get them in.

Along with too many cubes/folders, you should see my collection of luggage tags :rolleyes:, some are just too cute to pass up. And then there are the Vera Bradley cosmetic bags and the Kipling and Baggalini cross body bags...I have too much of all of it.

I have several brands as well, Eagle Creek and Tumi are my favs. I have some cheaper ones I purchased at Target, those always get left behind and I should probably just throw them into the Goodwill bag so someone else can use them. I do have the advantage of my employee discount, so these things don't cost me as much, but I still try not to buy many, you don't really need more than 1-2 per suitcase. I even get them as promos from the managers meetings, we win them during sales contests...I have a bunch of them.

Just an FYI, if you are concerned about added weight from the cubes and folders, Eagle Creek carries a new line that is almost weightless now, called Specter:

http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/dept.asp?s_id=0&dept_id=3074&page=2&mscssid=1UXG8QWGRQ2M8JPEE0PJS23838500439

I don't have any of them (yet) but they sell out like hotcakes when we get them in.

Along with too many cubes/folders, you should see my collection of luggage tags :rolleyes:, some are just too cute to pass up. And then there are the Vera Bradley cosmetic bags and the Kipling and Baggalini cross body bags...I have too much of all of it.

You should have a CC "yard" sale! :D

I recently discovered them on CC and LOVE them. They are great for organizing, which makes for easier unpacking. I pack some night clothes and underwear for our overnight hotel stay precruise. I also put our "embarkation" clothes in a separate bag.

I am kind of thrifty, so I just look for them at TJMaxx.

I have a few I bought from Sierra Trading Post (Eagle creek, discontinued fabric I think - no flaws, but cheap:p) I use a couple for organization mostly - underwear, socks, other small things. I have other bags I use for cords or toiletries or....Just not the packing cubes. Guess they don't really fit my packing style.

I've tried doing the packing where I put the pre or post-cruise outfit in one to isolate in my suitcase and that doesn't work for me:o It's better if I isolate those items in carry-on vs checked bag, etc.....

I sound like you. I call myself a luggage slut:p Speaking of luggage tags - do you have any of the Anne Taintor tags? Those are my absolute favorites. I think I have to buy more luggage just so I can get more places to hang those tags!!!

Eagle Creek does put theirs on sale at least once or twice a year, typically older colors, but who really cares?

I guess maybe us "luggage sluts" :)

I've not heard of Anne Taintor luggage tags, I'll have to look them up. I like unusual ones since #1 you can identify your luggage that way and @2 I always put at least 2 tags on each piece of luggage. I even put luggage tags on my carry on pieces (totes and rollaboards).

Eagle Creek does put theirs on sale at least once or twice a year, typically older colors, but who really cares?

I guess maybe us "luggage sluts" :)

I've not heard of Anne Taintor luggage tags, I'll have to look them up. I like unusual ones since #1 you can identify your luggage that way and @2 I always put at least 2 tags on each piece of luggage. I even put luggage tags on my carry on pieces (totes and rollaboards).

I'm also a "luggage slut". I just wish the store location I worked at is still in business. 13 years of my life I gave to the store. I did find out they recently re opened under "new ownership". okay sorry TMI back to topic..

I recently discovered them on CC and LOVE them. They are great for organizing, which makes for easier unpacking. I pack some night clothes and underwear for our overnight hotel stay precruise. I also put our "embarkation" clothes in a separate bag.

I am kind of thrifty, so I just look for them at TJMaxx.

I love TJMaxx, Marshall's, Ross, etc. I just have to drive an hour to find one. I didn't think to check there. I got my luggage there for a steal, but didn't even think about them having luggage accessories.

Absolutely love packing cubes. The whole family uses them and yes you can fit more into your suitcase packing with them. If you google packing cubes there is a video on how to best pack using them. Shows you how to roll your things, etc. My daughter went on a week long ski trip and she fit all of her clothes, including ski outfit (not the jacket) into a regular size rolling suitcase using the packing cubes. We used a cube for each type of clothing, jeans in one, shirts and sweaters in one, etc. It was also great on a cruise, all the kids had different colors and could keep their stuff organized. I also gave them as gifts and my friends are raving about them. Enjoy

About 6 years ago a local travel agency had an Eagle Creek reprehensive come in to their office to do a demo on their products and I have been hooked on folders and cubes ever since. This demo was tremendously helpful because I had a great insight on how to pack both the folders and cubes and just as important how to pack them in my luggage to maximize your luggage space. For me there was a definite learning curve on how best to use these packing aids and I am still learning. Once my clothing is in the folders and cubes I can easily add, reduce, or replace items to them in the packing process. I can also easily access any clothing at a pre cruise hotel.

On the ship I place the cubes and folders in the closet or drawers making unpacking a breeze. I either hand wash or have the ship clean my clothing and place them back in the folders and cubes so by the end of the cruise all I am doing is putting the packing aids back in the suitcase and I don't have huge pile of clothing to be cleaned either.

I take pictures of my suitcase and clothing just in case and this is my carry on for a cruise. After filling the voids in the handle hardware in this 20 inch carry on with clothing and an Eagle Creek Tube I placed a folder in next with cube on top. The other folder fits in the case lid. In the folders there is 2 pair of dress pants and 2 collared shirts and in the other there is 4 shirts with collars. In the cube there are 5 light weight athletic type t shirts, 1 golf shirt, and a pair of shorts all rolled. I also packed sandals and tennis shoes. I wore my dress shoes.

Shak

20100710_7-1.jpg

20100710_1-1.jpg

I agree, they don't really compress, but they keep everything organized. When flying out of Cabo San Lucas TSA opens your bags in the open before they're checked in. Nothing to see in my luggage, but the bags. In March this lady was mortified when they opened her luggage. I guess in their rush checking out of the hotel she threw her dirty laundry in last and that is what fell out first.

Edited by MsMot

Hi

I use the pack-it folder and a cube.

The pack-it folder is so nice for shirts, it comes with a "board" to assist with folding and it also helps keep wrinkles to a minimum.

The cube I use for socks and unmentionables. I zip open the cube, fold back the top and put the whole thing in a drawer.

Its so easy to unpack!!!!

:D

Cubes and folders are invaluable for any trip. They will compress items, but only if you're packing more items in the cube than would fit loose in the bag - hope that makes sense. My husband wears XL shirts and I fold them into 15-inch Eagle Creek folders without any problems.

Where these items are really important are in the following situations:

1) need compression for shirts (use folders)

2) multi-stop trips where you unpack and repack daily

3) when you have limited storage - where having loose items is just a pain - this is especially important in ship cabins

4) for people who want to stay neat and tidy, without "stuff" all over the place

5) when you don't want to put your clothing directly on hotel or ship shelves or drawers that others have used

I have at least 2 dozen assorted Eagle Creek folders, quarter, half, and double-sided cubes. Also have a number of short and long tube cubes. It took me several years to accumulate these. Like others, I pick them up when they're on sale. If I were buying now I also would consider the Eagle Creek Specter line (ultra lightweight and mentioned above) and packing aids from eBags.com . The Specter line doesn't have mesh sides, which are nice for viewing what's in each cube.

Some people color-code cubes for different members of the family. Another tip for packing is to use 2-gallon ziplock bags. I often pack that way with each day's outfits per bag. You really can compress using the ziplocks and it greatly simplifies how much has to be handled per day. The ziplock method is especially helpful for train travel or those single-night pre- or post-cruise situations.