Celebrity Reflection Ems River Conveyance

dmwnc1959

Received this email from Meyer Werft (translated from German to English):

Press Release

Ems - transfer of Celebrity Reflection

Transfer is expected to start Sunday morning

Papenburg 12th, September 2012 -

The Celebrity Reflection is expected to leave in the night from Saturday to Sunday (September 16, 2012), Papenburg and transferred to the Ems towards Eemshaven (Netherlands). After a brief stop in Emden, the ship will go on a short trip setting before it arrives in Eemshaven (NL).

The passage of the Celebrity Reflection on the Ems is expected to occur with a short stop at and with support from the Ems barrier. Further information on the barrage, the barring of the levees and the bird sanctuaries at http://www.nlwkn.niedersachsen.de

For the transfer, the following timetable, which according to the weather conditions can move further in the short term:

about 03.45 clock Passing the lock (Papenburg)

about 05.45 clock passing the Friesenbrücke (Weener)

about 07.40 clock passing the Jann-Berghaus Bridge (Empty)

about 10.15 clock arrival Emssperrwerk (Gandersum)

about 13.15 clock passing Emssperrwerk (Gandersum)

about 14.30 clock Emden (ship rotate)

about 16.00 clock Emskai / Emspier Emden

about 17.00 clock on the first shot drop ride

All specifications are subject to wind and weather conditions, the water levels

and subject to change. Time delays are possible!

The departure of the vessel in Papenburg harbor and the Passing the lock will be broadcast live on the Internet. The webcam is on the homepage of the Meyer Werft at: http://www.meyerwerft.de find.

The transfer of the vessel is again performed by the team of Lotsenbrüderschaft Emden. The Emslotsen have transferred in previous years, the ships of the Meyer Werft. The whole team was coached this maneuver on a computer based simulator in Wageningen (Netherlands), so as to be better prepared.

The Celebrity Reflection will cover the river transit to the North Sea in reverse. This type of transfer has been proven due to better maneuverability. The transfer handles the ship, with the support of two tugs.

It's just a shame that the conveyance begins so early in the morning. I think one of the Disney new builds did the same (leave in the dark) and there was some live streaming coverage of her as she left Papenburg and transited the lock gate. Should be a site to see Celebrity Reflection on the move and all lit up! :D

I was telling my neighbor, who is German, about the exciting float out of Reflection at Meyer-Weft. She looked at me kind of funny when I mentioned the river Ems. After a second, she started laughing and said "oh, you mean the "Em-za"! So, now if I'm ever lucky enough to go watch a Meyer-Weft float-out in person, I'll at least know how to pronounce the name of the river! :o ;)

Just got an updated email from MeyerWerft and the scheduled conveyance of Celebrity Reflection has been delayed roughly 12 hours and will now start Sunday September 16th at approximately 4pm local time Papenburg, or 10am east coast time in the US. Better for us because most of us will now be able to watch it leave in daylight hours! :D

Just got back from ordering my new iPhone 5 so I couldn't post the fully translated text until now:

Press Release

Postponed by twelve hours, Transfer of Celebrity Reflection starts Sunday afternoon

Papenburg, 14th September 2012 -

Weather permitting the transfer of the new cruise ship Celebrity Reflection will be moved by twelve hours.

The vessel being transferred is expected on Sunday afternoon and will leave twelve hours later than planned Papenburg on the River Ems to the North Sea.

For transfer applies the following new schedule:

Sunday 16th, September 2012

about 16.00 clock Ship in waiting position at the lock gate

about 17.00 clock Passing the lock (Papenburg)

about 19.00 clock Passing the Friesenbrücke (Weener)

about 21.00 clock Pass the Jann-Berghaus Bridge (Empty)

around 23.30 clock Check Emssperrwerk

Monday 17, September 2012

about 01.45 clock Passage Emssperrwerk

about 02:30 clock Emden

!All specifications are subject to wind and weather conditions, water levels and subject to change. Time shifts are also possible in the short term yet!

-----------------

Remember to subtract six hours for east coast US, 9 hours for Pacific coast US ;) Also you might want to start watching about 30-45 minutes before her 'wait position at the lock gate' because that should be about the time she moves away from her berth at the shipyard.

Here´s a map showing the route.

On the website of Meyer Werft you can follow the first part of the trip by webcam. The webcam won´t operate until the event.

And the whole trip will be covered by the local TV station NDR on their website via live stream video.

steamboats

Thanks for providing the link. And hooray - now it will be during daylight!

Archived