Jan 20, 2014 15-day Hawaii onboard Sapphire "cancelled"...why?

northerndynasty

So...

Very late last night I got an "Emergency Notification" email concerning our January 20th, 2014 Hawaiin 15-day voyage R/T out of Los Angeles.

The message had a reasoning of a "deployment".

What the heck is a cancellation reason called a "deployment" mean?

Thanks all!

I just went on Princess.com and checked for the January 20,2014 date for the Sapphire and got this message: The selected departure date has sold out for the requested number of passengers per stateroom. Please select a different departure date or contact us for assistance.

Have you called your TA or Princess (if booked through them) to find out what's going on (charter? dry dock?)

The drydock suggestion sounded likely, so I did some quick searching...and utilized this site to see if it was scheduled. Apparently that's not the reason (so far at least for now....)

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/fleet-drydock-schedlue

(I merely copied the exact linke...but notice a spelling error in the word "schedlue"). Try the link, but I'm sure there are other sites that list this info as well.

So bummed out!!

So...

Very late last night I got an "Emergency Notification" email concerning our January 20th, 2014 Hawaiin 15-day voyage R/T out of Los Angeles.

Thanks all!

Deployment usually means they are planning to move the Sapphire someplace else. They did this with the Crown. It was scheduled to go on its Caribbean schedule through March of 2014. Now, it is being moved to the West Coast. They have set a trip to South America for the trip. All of the cruises on the crown for that period were canceled.

I have no idea where they are planning on moving the Sapphire, but Princess has been mixing things up for a while.

As for the cruise being "sold out", they do that to prevent new bookings while the changes are being finalized. Last October I booked a b2b out of the western Caribbean the first leg was a 4 day "Caribbean Sampler". Within 2 weeks, the cruise said it was "sold out". That had me wondering. A couple of weeks later, the cruise was refashioned as a cruise for Veterans. It is the same cruise, I have the same cabin, but it is now a cruise dedicated to Vets.

So...

Thanks all!

As others have posted, "deployment" means she will be sailing a new schedule. A quick check shows that all Sapphire cruises departing between December 29, 2013 and May 3, 2014 have been canceled except for two short coastals departing January 13, 2014 and January 16, 2014. Those two cruises will probably also be cancelled, but who knows as of now.

Crown arrives in LA on April 5, 2014 and will have five weeks in LA before her Alaska cruises start. Sapphire had three California and Pacific Coastals, one Mexico and one Wine Country Coastal repo during that time so maybe the Crown will pick up those cruises?

You would hope that if Princess is switching a ship to the same itinerary (if that's the case), those who were booked on the Sapphire would be offered the chance to switch their booking to that ship. Or even if it's not the same itinerary, why not attempt to keep their business by offering them space on the Crown?

The drydock suggestion sounded likely, so I did some quick searching...and utilized this site to see if it was scheduled. Apparently that's not the reason (so far at least for now....)

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/fleet-drydock-schedlue

(I merely copied the exact linke...but notice a spelling error in the word "schedlue"). Try the link, but I'm sure there are other sites that list this info as well.

So bummed out!!

No drydock. The Sapphire had a major renovation just a over a year ago and drydocks happen every 2-3 years.

She shows up in December 2014. Wonder where she's going

Interesting to see where she goes. She not going to replace the Ocean Princess routes that used to do Asia and Africa. Then maybe a return from Europe back to OZ for the Summer 2014 season.

Edit. Forget that idea. Cause Ocean Princess still doing that run to Asia Africa in 2014.

Interesting to see where she goes. She not going to replace the Ocean Princess routes that used to do Asia and Africa. Then maybe a return from Europe back to OZ for the Summer 2014 season.

Edit. Forget that idea. Cause Ocean Princess still doing that run to Asia Africa in 2014.

But she's not on the Europe sailings at all. Maybe another ship in Asia? But they don't usually do Summer sailings...will be interesting

When is the Diamond due for her dry dock session?

March 2014 in Asia, similar to what was done to Sapphire 14 months ago in Esquimalt. She stays in Japan year-round from spring 2014.

Cheers

You would hope that if Princess is switching a ship to the same itinerary (if that's the case)' date=' those who were booked on the Sapphire would be offered the chance to switch their booking to that ship. Or even if it's not the same itinerary, why not attempt to keep their business by offering them space on the Crown?[/quote']

Crown P will not take over itineraries previously sailed by Sapphire P := she will not clear the entrance to Vancouver ( Lion's Gate bridge),

If Sapphire also leaves Vancouver in 2014 ( current manoeuverings by Princess trend that way....), then two of Grand/Golden/Star will service those Vancouver North/South sailings, with the other ++ Crown

servicing the two Seattle trips.

Cheers

Crown arrives in LA on April 5, 2014 and will have five weeks in LA before her Alaska cruises start. Sapphire had three California and Pacific Coastals, one Mexico and one Wine Country Coastal repo during that time so maybe the Crown will pick up those cruises?

maybe....but not the last one....as it is due to dock in Vancouver, Crown P will not clear the entrance to Vancouver ( Lion's Gate bridge)...so a weebit of re-tweeking the final itinerary(ies) will be needed...

maybe....but not the last one....as it is due to dock in Vancouver, Crown P will not clear the entrance to Vancouver ( Lion's Gate bridge)...so a weebit of re-tweeking the final itinerary(ies) will be needed...

Apparently she will fit. Itineraries are out already

10-May-14 Sat Crown Princess 3416N 7 Alaska Voyage of the Glaciers (Northbound) VANCOUVER, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, College Fjord, WHITTIER

And reverse

Crown Princess will fit under the bridge and all tidal conditions present during the months that Alaska cruises operate. Bridge clearance is 61 meters at maximum high tide of the year, the ship's air draft is 58 meters.

Sapphire Princess starts showing up on Sydney Ports schedule from November 2014 but Diamond Princess has disappears. Is she replacing Diamond to do the Sydney - Auckland, Auckland - Sydney run? I hope I will get to go on her then.

So...

Thanks all!

Our 12/29/13 sailing on the Sapphire was also cancelled...the ship is being re-deployed to the Far East (makes sense since the Sapphire was built in Japan).

Our 12/29/13 sailing on the Sapphire was also cancelled...the ship is being re-deployed to the Far East (makes sense since the Sapphire was built in Japan).

Yikes, we are scheduled on the Dec 22nd Mexican Riveira, hope they dont cancel that one as well.

Archived