Butler Etiquette Question

MrsNancyG

I've been reading boards, books and just about everything else I can get my hands on regarding cruising for almost a year now and all that info has gotten me a little confused.

This cruise will be our first ever with a butler (probably our last as well, but its an experience I really want...) and I'm a little confused about exactly what your butler will -or rather is accustomed to - doing for guests. (I fully understand that the butler is for inside the room and concierge for outside the room, so please don't misunderstand my question.)

For example, I can't be sure WHERE I read it, but some things I read include unpacking/packing, having a sandwich delivered by their butler to the pool (I assume the Haven pool, not the main ship pool), and I don't know if I read or heard from my PCC that they will prepare a bath for you - if requested - for when you return from excursions, and some other things that to me seem equally above-and-beyond services.

Granted, I intend to tip very well, but I would not want to ask my butler to do something that might be considered unusual or difficult. Anyone have any insight they could share?

From the NCL website:

ButlerService

The Butler liaises closely with the Concierge to provide 24-hour personalized service for the Villa/Suite guests who are given a direct phone or pager number to contact the Butler.

Each Butler is assigned to take care of an average of 9 Villas/Suites each (not available to guests in Mini-Suites).

Services include:

• Unpack luggage
  • Expedite dry cleaning processes
  • Shoe-shine service
  • Serve at Cocktail parties in Villas/Suites
  • Serve Dinners in Villas/Suites
  • Delivery of fresh fruit
  • Delivery of sodas/water/liquor/wine/newspapers if ordered (These are NOT complimentary in all Suite categories)
  • Delivery of movies from a DVD library
  • Ensure balconies/gardens are stocked with fresh towels/seat cushions
  • Fill/empty hot tubs (NOT available in all suites) and instruct guests on safe use

Tips for Butler and/or Concierge are NOT included in the $12 pp per day service charge. We recommend guests consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

I've been reading boards, books and just about everything else I can get my hands on regarding cruising for almost a year now and all that info has gotten me a little confused.

This cruise will be our first ever with a butler (probably our last as well, but its an experience I really want...) and I'm a little confused about exactly what your butler will -or rather is accustomed to - doing for guests. (I fully understand that the butler is for inside the room and concierge for outside the room, so please don't misunderstand my question.)

For example, I can't be sure WHERE I read it, but some things I read include unpacking/packing, having a sandwich delivered by their butler to the pool (I assume the Haven pool, not the main ship pool), and I don't know if I read or heard from my PCC that they will prepare a bath for you - if requested - for when you return from excursions, and some other things that to me seem equally above-and-beyond services.

Granted, I intend to tip very well, but I would not want to ask my butler to do something that might be considered unusual or difficult. Anyone have any insight they could share?

I have had butler/concierge/valet service on a number of NCL ships. My advice to you is to ask away. My experience is that the team comprised of your butler, concierge, steward and the courtyard valet and attendant in the haven would rather have you ask them about something that they can assist you with rather than you keep quiet and not utilize them. Don't be embarrassed to inquire about anything and see if they can help.

The concierge, the room butler, the steward and the courtyard valet and attendant all work as a team and will bend over backwards to make your vacation feel very special. They will communicate with each other about your desires and habits and will adjust their routines as necessary to make your cruise enjoyable.

Your butler will gladly do all those things and anything else you ask within reason. One time I was on the behind the scenes tour and forgot my camera in my room. I dialed my butler and asked him to bring it to me. Since our group was on the move, he had to track me down. He found me about 10 minutes later in the fish freezer and handed me my camera. He seemed very happy to help. Made was the butler, one of the best.

Now, what's a courtyard valet and attendant and what do they do?

They are new positions added to the Jewel Class ships (not sure of the Epic and Breakaway class) a year or two ago.

Whereas the room butler attends to your requests within your room, the courtyard valet attends to your request in the courtyard. He/she keeps the food, beverages, liquids, treats replenished in the snack area throughout the day and serves you breakfast & lunch from Cagney's and Blue Lagoon if you dine in the courtyard. They will also get whatever drinks you require from the bars. As you sit in the chairs and lounges in the courtyard, he/she will come around periodically to see if you need something in the way of liquid (iced tea, water, alcohol, etc) or snacks and food.

The courtyard attendant takes care of making sure the courtyard and sun deck equipment are set up and attended to. He would set up the large umbrella on the sun deck every day for my wife and made sure she had a hand towel to dry off with when she worked out in the exercise area.

The attention we received from the butler, concierge, steward, valet and attendant in the haven during our recent Panama Canal cruise on the Jewel was almost sinful. :-)

Edited by Cruisin&Relaxin

You sound just like me! We've booked way in advance and I am trying to learn all I can about the suite experience. We celebrate our 10th anniversary 4/17/14 and actually decided to sail away on OUR birthday, later that year, which just happens to be my husbands 40th! We found that October in a suite was only $200 more than April in a balcony.

ANYWAY...

I was wondering what to expect and what I can ask them to do...

Of course I can't really think of much right now but I'll know where to come with future questions.

One thing I wonder is if there is popcorn on the ship. If not, will my butler microwave popcorn that I bring?

The important thing to remember is the word "ask" They will do or try to do whatever you ask them to. I have read many times here where people get confused with the butler's role because they read what they do on the NCL site and think things are automatic.

They will not unpack your clothes or touch your belongings unless you would request such services. Same thing with the shoe shine, etc.

Some things they cant do and will let you know.

Another pet peeve I read here with confusing a butler with a personal servant. They are not assigend exclusively to you. They have so many duites and other cabins. There was a few times I could not even reach our butler and someone else came to deliver something. I have read so many bulter abuses here on the boards that make me angry. But I dont want to get into that :)

They wont floss your teeth, feed you grapes, or massage you :)

Edited by david_sobe

Your butler will gladly do all those things and anything else you ask within reason. One time I was on the behind the scenes tour and forgot my camera in my room. I dialed my butler and asked him to bring it to me. Since our group was on the move, he had to track me down. He found me about 10 minutes later in the fish freezer and handed me my camera. He seemed very happy to help. Made was the butler, one of the best.

This is good to know! I would assume then that they might return something to your room for you if needed.

I also wonder....if we have 24 hr service, is it a team of butlers assigned to the group of suites?

The important thing to remember is the word "ask" They will do or try to do whatever you ask them to. I have read many times here where people get confused with the butler's role because they read what they do on the NCL site and think things are automatic.

They will not unpack your clothes or touch your belongings unless you would request such services. Same thing with the shoe shine, etc.

Some things they cant do and will let you know.

What about just ironing something?

Not to flame anyone, but I'm always confused by people looking for things for the butlers to do for them. To be honest, I think that's the wrong approach. If I sprung for an NCL suite, I would approach it very simply. If there's something I want or need, I'd ask for help. I don't really need to have someone help me unpack, pack, run a bath, etc. I might want to have a nice meal in my room, so that I would ask about. Maybe getting into a show that's sold out, or making restaurant reservations, or taking care of some ironing that I don't want to do myself, etc. Not saying the OP is doing this, but I've certainly read threads where folks are focused on "what can I get a butler to do for me?"

Not to flame anyone, but I'm always confused by people looking for things for the butlers to do for them. To be honest, I think that's the wrong approach. If I sprung for an NCL suite, I would approach it very simply. If there's something I want or need, I'd ask for help. I don't really need to have someone help me unpack, pack, run a bath, etc. I might want to have a nice meal in my room, so that I would ask about. Maybe getting into a show that's sold out, or making restaurant reservations, or taking care of some ironing that I don't want to do myself, etc. Not saying the OP is doing this, but I've certainly read threads where folks are focused on "what can I get a butler to do for me?"

I think it is because many, like me, will be first time suite cruisers and are looking for help in what the butler does. I certainly would rather ask for opinions, than look like an idiot (or put the butler in an embarrassing position) and ask the butler to do something that they would never do. I for one, would never ask the butler to get me into a sold out show, wouldn't think that that is his responsibility, but if someone told me so on here, I would know. And we all have to remember that what is not important to one, is very important to another, so people will use their butlers differently - no one is right and no one is wrong.

I can imagine some folks could get a little drunk with power, pulling crazy things like the "Prince Charles" - where he insisted his manservant have his toothbrush pre-pasted waiting for him (or so I read somewhere).

But to know what services could be provided as needed only makes good sense. A behind the scenes tour was salvaged by a phone call! How great is that? Without the butler, someone would have had to miss part of the tour to run back to the cabin themselves. How Cool?!

Getting itchy for it now

I can imagine some folks could get a little drunk with power, pulling crazy things like the "Prince Charles" - where he insisted his manservant have his toothbrush pre-pasted waiting for him (or so I read somewhere).

My butler did that for all of us every night. HAHAHAHAHA kidding.

I definitely "underused" my butler the first time I sailed on Epic. We were upsold 5 days prior and I had no idea what to expect. So he did typical butler things but we just enjoyed being treated so special.

He would say "oh, I could have done that!" to things when he realized we did something. Like they can pick up alcohol you may have purchased on the islands. My husband stood in a long line on the last night and came upstairs with our rum from St. Thomas. He saw us and said he would have been happy to do that. So there are things you wouldn't think of (like that!) that they do. The more personal things (unpacking, running a bath - ick) I wouldn't have considered. But things that made our life a little easier was great.

To this date, Roel was our favorite butler (out of the 3 we had) because he was willing to do things for us and mention things we may have never asked for. He made us get the best of the suite life.

Have fun - I love the Haven on Epic. Still my favorite thusfar.

But to know what services could be provided as needed only makes good sense. A behind the scenes tour was salvaged by a phone call! How great is that? Without the butler, someone would have had to miss part of the tour to run back to the cabin themselves. How Cool?!

Getting itchy for it now

This is why people should ask questions on here and not be admonished for asking if a butler could do certain things. Put in the situation of forgetting my camera, I would have never thought to take the butler away from his duties to bring it to me, but now I know that it would not be a problem. I don't ever expect that to happen, but you never know.

We have done the suite thing a few times. Personally, I would prefer NOT to have someone unpack for us. I need to know where things are so I can find them. Really is not that big of a deal. Same with packing.

Other than maybe some meals, insure everything is working in the suite, get DVDs... not much else we need him for.

Of course

Chances are he/she will use the laundry services for this and return it to you

Would there be a charge for this ironing? (not talking about tip for the butler).

Also, which person, butler or cabin attendant see to it that you have ice and say, iced tea in your fridge?

I for one, would never ask the butler to get me into a sold out show, wouldn't think that that is his responsibility, but if someone told me so on here

That would be the concierge, not the butler. My guess is that they would put you in front of the stand-by line for unclaimed seats, or give you seats in the area reserved for suite guests. They wouldn't displace reserved passengers.

That would be the concierge, not the butler. My guess is that they would put you in front of the stand-by line for unclaimed seats, or give you seats in the area reserved for suite guests. They wouldn't displace reserved passengers.

Sorry, I was just responding to your post where you said: I might want to have a nice meal in my room, so that I would ask about. Maybe getting into a show that's sold out, or making restaurant reservations, or taking care of some ironing that I don't want to do myself, etc. Thank you for clarifying it, because from what you posted someone might have asked the butler for this.

I think it is because many, like me, will be first time suite cruisers and are looking for help in what the butler does. I certainly would rather ask for opinions, than look like an idiot (or put the butler in an embarrassing position) and ask the butler to do something that they would never do. I for one, would never ask the butler to get me into a sold out show, wouldn't think that that is his responsibility, but if someone told me so on here, I would know. And we all have to remember that what is not important to one, is very important to another, so people will use their butlers differently - no one is right and no one is wrong.

I agree! It will be my first time in a suite and am just curious what we COULD ask them to do. But, I also understand that the more I use them, the more I will tip.

On one of our cruises the handle on our suitcase broke and we asked the butler if there was any way he could get us some tape so we could temporarily repair it. He said he would take care of it and took the garment bag-type suitcase away.

Later in the day it was back in our room completely mended! It was better than new! We were very appreciative to him as he clearly went out of his way to help us.

:)