Obstructed View Balconies

ksg

In looking to book, I notice that RCL is describing many of its balconies as obstructed view. Any ideas as to what the obstruction is? The website doesn't say. There are obstructions, and then there are OBSTRUCTIONS!

It would be interesting to see if it's just the lifeboats when you look down, or something more objectionable. We were once on the Summit and had this situation, but the cabin was not indicated as obstructed view, but I thought it should have been.

Thanks in advance!

In looking to book, I notice that RCL is describing many of its balconies as obstructed view. Any ideas as to what the obstruction is? The website doesn't say. There are obstructions, and then there are OBSTRUCTIONS!

It would be interesting to see if it's just the lifeboats when you look down, or something more objectionable. We were once on the Summit and had this situation, but the cabin was not indicated as obstructed view, but I thought it should have been.

Thanks in advance!

I don't think that there is a consistent definition. In some cases you will have a lifeboat blocking some of your view. Sometimes you will have mechanical items hanging in the way. In some cases, the superstructure of the ship my limit the viewing.

The best thing to do is search the boards for information on the specific cabin you are looking for.

We booked an obstructed view cabin and from the computer rendering it looks like we'll be looking down on a lifeboat. Not a big deal to me as long as I can sit outside and listen to the waves in the privacy of my balcony. I heard that if you have a specific cabin in mind you can call Royal and they can tell you how much of an obstruction there will be.

If you google for Celebrity Solstice obstructed view you will see that the lifeboat related obstructions are that the top of the lifeboat could be even with anything from the floor of your balcony to the railing. This is what nearly all of the ones on deck 6 are for. The ones at the front and back of a deck are typically related to super structure blocking the view.

Like has been said when you book just ask what is there. I had suite back of mariner and that was not listed as obstructive but actually was terrible had the design that had the metal structure go above and below and had smokers above me whose ashes floated right down on my stuff they ruined my bathing suit so I for one am glad no more smoking on balconies

There is a specific category - DO - on the Quantum.

D is the general category. There are lots of D cabins on board. Square footage is 198 feet, like other D cabins on Voyager and Freedom class. Balcony is listed as 55 square feet.

Most of them are on Deck 6, but there are a few each on Decks 7 & 8, all the way forward (on the sides, not on the front of the ship).

O is for obstructed.

So, it is a D balcony cabin with an obstructed view.

My expert tells me that the obstruction ranges from 50% to 75%. "Someone" knows how obstructed each specific balcony is. I can't find the source right now.

Edited by Merion_Mom

We booked a DO for our 1/23/15 Quantum. Leaving out of NY in the winter I doubt we'll spend the beginning/ending 1.5 days on the balcony. Since we don't spend that much time in the room the obstruction % is not that critical......However, it is nice to be able to open the door and breathe/feel the warm Caribbean air. If you are really worried about the amount of the obstruction a DO is probably not for you.

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone heard about the amount of obstruction on these balconies yet?

Doubt we will have any exact info until the first few sailings.

I booked one of these cabins for Christmas 2015. The DO was cheaper for the 4 of us than any inside or outside cabin and it is larger. Also it was about $1000 cheaper than a regular D balcony. A great deal no matter what the view.

Doubt we will have any exact info until the first few sailings.

I booked one of these cabins for Christmas 2015. The DO was cheaper for the 4 of us than any inside or outside cabin and it is larger. Also it was about $1000 cheaper than a regular D balcony. A great deal no matter what the view.

It looks like, from the drawings of Quantum, that the lifeboats are actually in front of the balconies. I don't know how that will look from inside the cabin. But for my March 3 night I wanted the cheapest room with fresh air available. I doubt I will be on the balcony much in the cold weather.

Thanks in advance!

My TA told me its a 50% obstruction.

My TA told me its a 50% obstruction.

Each cabin has a difference obstruction. 50% is the minimum. Some may have more. I believe they go up to 75% depending on the cabin.

As far as what the obstruction is. It'll generally be the lifeboats, which will block your view of the water below. They are situated directly below Deck 6 cabins. If you're sitting in the chair on the balcony, you will most likely be looking at a lifeboat. If you stand, you'll see water.

Edited by hitaway4

I called RC. The man had to look up each individual cabin so I only asked him a few :o

Here's what he told me:

6570 50%

6572 75%

6170 50%

6172 75%

6616 75%

6618 50%

6608 50%

6610 50%

I wish I could have asked him every cabin. :eek: Maybe we can compile a list if other people call and ask for a few room numbers each. ;)

I think I pushed him to his limit he was getting testy on the last 2 lol

Edited by marci22

Thanks #6170 is my cabin on the 3 day. I guess my question is how are the percentages determined? Are the lifeboats directly in front, below or above the balconies? Is the obstruction determined from the seated position or standing? If the lifeboats are below or in front does that mean you cannot see the decks below? I have questions but I'm still not switching cabins or category. The price is a steal especially since the E category has already gone up $20 in 2 days according to the ********** alert I received this morning.

E1s on the Anthem cruise I booked were only marginally more expensive (maybe like $30 per person more) than the DOs and are unobstructed. Something to consider.

Caveats:

-Looks like there are only 8 on the ship (4 each on Deck 6 and 7); and

-The square footage of the actual room is about 22 square feet less (off the top of my head) than all of the D balconies, including the DO. The flip size is the balcony is listed as considerably larger. They appear to be an interesting, never before seen square shape. Very interested to see the actual layout.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I called RC. The man had to look up each individual cabin so I only asked him a few :o

Here's what he told me:

6570 50%

6572 75%

6170 50%

6172 75%

6616 75%

6618 50%

6608 50%

6610 50%

I wish I could have asked him every cabin. :eek: Maybe we can compile a list if other people call and ask for a few room numbers each. ;)

I think I pushed him to his limit he was getting testy on the last 2 lol

I had originally booked 6172 until I found out a while back there are pecentages of obstruction for each cabin. I had a list of triples I was asking about and the rep was also getting annoyed after the 2nd cabin.:rolleyes:

The Es look interesting but they are doubles on deck 6. 1 left for the 3 night and it is $75pp more than DO.

Interesting. Well, if they stay in the $30-$75 more per person range people will have an interesting decision to make, provided they're booking a sailing where Es are still available.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app