Clothes to pack for baltic cruise July 2014

Hi all, this will be our first Baltic cruise having previously cruised the med.We need help with what type of clothes to pack . We are sailing with celebrity Eclipse on 19th July, from Southampton. Can anyone advise on the temperatures we can expect because its the shore excursions attire which are causing our dilemma.

We had 2 weeks of glorious weather on the same cruise last year - July 20th when it was hot and sunny everyday. We only wore light summer clothes but had packed warmer clothes and rain wear.

The previous 2 weeks had been wet, foggy and cold. The weather is unpredictable in this region and you probably need to be prepared for this.

As mentioned many times here, layers are important. We were also there thru the month of July last year with near record temps for many days. So shorts and light tops were fine for daytime. But we were prepared for most anything.

Hi all, this will be our first Baltic cruise having previously cruised the med.We need help with what type of clothes to pack . We are sailing with celebrity Eclipse on 19th July, from Southampton. Can anyone advise on the temperatures we can expect because its the shore excursions attire which are causing our dilemma.

Expect anything from +10 degrees Celsius and rain to +30 degrees Celsius and sun.

It impossible to say this far ahead.

Thanks for all your advise, I will just layer and be prepared for all weather types and just keep our fingers crossed for good weather.

A lot may also depend on where you are from. People from say Florida may feel a chill a lot more than people from Vermont. You will not need any 'warm' clothing, but a decent sweatshirt and, as been said many times, a waterproof something. We opted for a couple of those inexpensive rain things that they sell in dollar stores. Use them, throw them away and so easy to carry.

There was a huge thread about what type of clothing is appropriate for Europe, on here. It would be a good idea to glance thru that. One thing is for sure, bring a good pair of walking shoes. I really would forgo any type of sandals as you will be walking on cobblestone streets in a couple of ports.

If you need shorts, bring them, but a few good pair of jeans will be the best bet for any type of weather.

Cheers

Len

DMI (Danish weather service) has revealed their forecast for the next 3 months and it says that the end of the period will be warmer than usual and with several days without rains.

Winds will mostly come from a westerly or southwesternly direction so we will get our heat from France and Spain. :D

I can't remember the normal temperatures for July but its somewhere in the start 20'ies Celsius.

Even though the seasonal prediction is somewhat positive its still a good idea to pack for every kind of weather.

Edited by Danish viking

• 3 weeks later...

I did the cruise end of June 2012 - excellent weather - shorts and T-hirts!!

Also swimming in the pool on Sea Days!! Will be on a Baltic cruise again in nine days.

Here is how the weather was June 22, 2012 (video from Tallinn)

[YOUTUBE]Njk5G8tUV1E[/YOUTUBE]

Thank you Hallasm. Lovely video. Can't wait to visit Tallin.

I looked up some weather sites and this was the concensus. Averages for high and low temps for July. Celsius. Plus amount of rain.

I was hoping for a bit warmer as we go on another cruise later with warmer weather. I don't mind if it's colder but don't want rain (obviously).

Weather.

Copenhagen 11-19C 16 days rain 60mm

Travemunde 12-20C 9days rain

Bornholme 11-20 7 days

Tallin Average 15.

St Petersburg Av 14 – 22 16 days rain 70mm

Helsinki 12 – 21 15 days rain 70mm

Stockholm 13-22. 15 days rain 72mm