No more leaving ship after boarding.

gbenjo

Customs in Sydney this week have introduced a new rule whereby any guest who passes through the customs area and boards a cruise ship will not be permitted to leave the vessel again (except in an emergency). I know Carnival have had this rule in place for some time but up until now Royal Caribbean and Celebrity allowed guests to come and go as they wished. It may be just coincidental that the rule was introduced just after the Martin Place siege but do not know if that had any influence on the decision.

Edited by gbenjo

Great job you and all the staff do at the OPT, I suppose it will stop people boarding early just to get off again. boarding later was certainly very easy, we had dropped our bags at 11am and boarded at 2.30pm, cabins ready with bags in them. very civilized and no queues.:D

Great job you and all the staff do at the OPT, I suppose it will stop people boarding early just to get off again. boarding later was certainly very easy, we had dropped our bags at 11am and boarded at 2.30pm, cabins ready with bags in them. very civilized and no queues.:D

Hi Mic

Were you on Century if so keen to hear how you liked it

We boarded Radiance a couple of days before the siege and they had announcements on board that no one could leave once on and to ignore any literature we saw around the ship about Sydney shopping and sorry for the inconvenience. Sounds like it was a recent implementation but definitely before the seige.

When you board an international flight you go through checkin, customs etc and you are not allowed back, unless of course if you miss your flight and then you have to go back through immigration etc etc. why would a ship be any different? On most occasions it sails through international waters regardless whether it is is a domestic cruise or not.

When you arrive at a port during the cruise you go through security each way and you are counted off and back on, so they know if you are missing.

Totally agree with the policy. Must have been a real headache for staff before.

For an overnighter in Sydney would this rule also apply? Previously have spent the night in Sydney onboard Voyager and Solstice either pre or post cruise. On our last domestic cruise (week ago) there was no custom's area to go through. Could you check in, not board the ship and return later to board the ship? Going on 3 night Voyager sampler cruise, family meeting at checkin, so we can take grandaughter with us onboard if parents have to return to their offices and the plan was they could board later if need be. Just wondering if this could still be possible?

Can anyone tell me if you are allowed back off the ship after passing through customs at the port of Fremantle?

We embarked and overnighted on Volendam in Fremantle during November as part of a domestic leg on this cruise. We could leave the ship as we pleased, in fact there were excursions offered to all. Majority of passengers had been circumnavigating Aus and were continuing their cruise with Fremantle being a port of call. Other domestic legs were also on offer. About 300 embarked in Fremantle. Do not know how the new rules would work in this case as quite a few cruises circumnavigate and offer a full or part cruise stopping at Fremantle and other cities.

Edited by megsie

They can organise it if they want to.

Once you have boarded and you have your cruise card you have become an In Transit passenger.

The crew, and as said above , passengers continuing the cruise can come and go .... so wheres the problem?

They can organise it if they want to.

Once you have boarded and you have your cruise card you have become an In Transit passenger.

The crew, and as said above , passengers continuing the cruise can come and go .... so wheres the problem?

I really don't know if it is such a huge customs or immigration issue, you need to go through security every time you board, so what is the problem. I have a feeling it is more to do with the OPT (works) at the moment. In any case, it shouldn't cause any real problems as long as people are informed prior to checking in.:D

We have done a couple of overnighters in Sydney on previous cruises with no problem, just show your cruise card to get on and off.

We will be on the Diamond again in March with another overnighter. I can't see why they wouldn't let you off and back on once you have been through customs and immigration and have your cruise card. You are then classed as a transit passenger.

Might be different if there is no overnight though.

Edited by Billy and Charlie's Mum

Looks like I have some questions to ask when I next work on the 28th Dec. Will try and clarify.

As always gbenjo your assistance with information is much appreciated, though the lack of a pipe band still disappoints.

We are NOT going there again:D:D:D

Actually this is the first time [out of 3 trips] that I've cruised to Burnie and they didn't have a Pipe Band on the dock to greet us, just no class anymore.

Edited by GUT2407

As always gbenjo your assistance with information is much appreciated, though the lack of a pipe band still disappoints.

Understand your disappointment GUT2407 we asked gbenjo about pipe band welcome small thing I know but looks like it wont happen??

Edited by chester32

We have done a couple of overnighters in Sydney on previous cruises with no problem' date=' just show your cruise card to get on and off.

We will be on the Diamond again in March with another overnighter. I can't see why they wouldn't let you off and back on once you have been through customs and immigration and have your cruise card. You are then classed as a transit passenger.

Might be different if there is no overnight though.[/quote']

I am assuming it only applies to embarkation day or the overnight stays will be useless.:D

Actually this is the first time [out of 3 trips] that I've cruised to Burnie and they didn't have a Pipe Band on the dock to greet us, just no class anymore.

They had the pipe band in Burnie for the afternoon, just before we were to sail away, I was on the balcony watching and listening for around 1 and a half hours as they greeted everyone returning to the ship. They had a bucket for donations as well.:D

Edited by MicCanberra