Wifi

Carol From California

When Viking first announced the new ship back in 2013 (which is when we booked) all the literature stated that Wifi would be complimentary. Now it seems it is only complimentary in Penthouse Verandah suites or higher categories. I wrote to Viking and they confirmed that. I am booked in a PV cabin so it won't affect me, but it does not sit well with me that they have made this change in what they first advertised. In fact I even found this on their website where it states that Wifi is complimentary....I am sure it will be changed since I notified them it states this: http://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/ships/viking-star/staterooms.html

I wrote to them to clarify it and this is what they wrote back:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding wireless internet access aboard our ships. In addition to 4G availability, Wifi is complimentary for all stateroom categories aboard our ocean cruises and can be accessed everywhere aboard our ships. Usage restrictions do apply, based on the stateroom category booked: passengers booked in the Veranda and Deluxe Veranda staterooms are limited to 50mb per day. These passengers can upgrade to unlimited downloads for $4.95 USD per day. All other stateroom categories do not have this restriction. Video streaming is available to passengers of all stateroom categories at a charge of $11.95 per day.

For $4.95/day it's not that much to upgrade if you are in a Verandah cabin but I think they should have just kept it complimentary straight across the board for all since that is the way they do it on the river cruises (we just went on two of them in 2014).

We are in a deluxe veranda. When I wrote them and stated that when we booked in 2013 the brochure stated free wifi and no mention of restrictions. This is Vikings response. Apparently they can change anything they want when they want with no apologies or notification especially since they have our money paid in full.

When the preliminary brochures offering this cruise tour were printed the restrictions were not all known, we reserve the right to update and change the written materials describing the amenities and or the itinerary at any time. We still are offering what we promised which is complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the entire vessel, but this amenity is only complimentary for higher booked staterooms. The lower staterooms will have the same amenities available, but at an additional cost, like an optional tour, or other optional items not included in the cost of the cruise tour. We can advise that while in port all staterooms will offer free Wi-Fi and the speed should be reasonable to cruise the internet in ease whereas on the river it was often an issue as the connection was unstable.

If there are other questions in this regard, we encourage you to discuss them with your personal travel agent managing your reservation for July onboard the Viking Star.

Edited by TERRIER1

If you read the agreement that you make with any cruise line they all say something to that affect.....they can change Ports, services etc.

the agreement is on the Viking Oceans website.

Always beware of the legal small print.....

If you read the agreement that you make with any cruise line they all say something to that affect.....they can change Ports, services etc.

the agreement is on the Viking Oceans website.

Always beware of the legal small print.....

That may be but not after they have your money - at least not in good faith.

I agree that all cruise lines can reserve the right to make changes.

What I don't agree with is that there are changes at all levels - not just wifi - and that these changes did not start coming out until after all was paid in full - and that they are still not communicating them - ports, itineraries, times in ports, wifi, excursions and that pricing....all levels there are changes. And no formal nor consistent communication most of us have cruised with multiple lines, so we really do understand that changes can occur. All of This, on the other hand, is unacceptable.

Has anyone contacted the office of the CEO?

You can't get past Customer Service. Viking is a private line and when you click on their link it brings you right back to the Vikings web page. Perhaps people in the cruise industry would know how to get hold of management or perhaps management knows exactly what is going on and doesn't care.