Plates in Halls

flag fan

Before jumping in the taking-food-out-of-the-restaurants/buffet threads I wonder if I can get something clarified--some posts mentioned plates in the halls being messy and impeding movement in the halls (particularly for those in wheelchairs). In restaurants one is supposed to put plates from room service in the halls but on every ship I've been on (on eight different cruise lines), plates are always left in the cabin for pick up/clean up by room steward (or butler?). I never saw any dishes in the halls on those ships. I always thought the halls in ships, unlike hotels, are too narrow, particularly with the need for stewards to get by with their carts (as well as the passengers in wheelchairs/scooters and with walkers).

On NCL ships are you expected to put your room service dish/trays in the hall?

Before jumping in the taking-food-out-of-the-restaurants/buffet threads I wonder if I can get something clarified--some posts mentioned plates in the halls being messy and impeding movement in the halls (particularly for those in wheelchairs). In restaurants one is supposed to put plates from room service in the halls but on every ship I've been on (on eight different cruise lines), plates are always left in the cabin for pick up/clean up by room steward (or butler?). I never saw any dishes in the halls on those ships. I always thought the halls in ships, unlike hotels, are too narrow, particularly with the need for stewards to get by with their carts (as well as the passengers in wheelchairs/scooters and with walkers).

No, you are definitely NOT expected to put your dirty dishes in the hall, but unfortunately a lot of people do that. Probably because they don't want to see their dirty dishes after they are finished eating, and therefore think that it is better for everybody else to see them when passing by - and if they by doing that would be causing problems for others needing to pass with a wheelchair or a scooter, then unfortunately I don't think they would care...

No...you should NEVER put dirty dishes in the hallway.

There is no "roaming busboy" going up and down the halls whose job it is to gather those plates.

They are also messy, unsanitary, and unsightly.

When you're finished with your plates, just leave them in your room and the steward will remove them. If you HAVE to have them removed before the regular cleaning service, you can either take them to the buffet and drop them off yourself, or you can call room service and they will send someone to pick up the used dishes.

The hallways should never be people's garbage cans.

Agreed on this topic. Leaving dirty dishes and diapers which I have seen in the hallways and not in your room is disrespectful to other gusts on the ship

Edited by abe3

It has been a while since I sailed NCL but on other lines, if I leave the tray with all the dirty dishes in one place, the room steward takes it. I really see no reason to place dishes in the halls.

Thanks for the replies--it seemed kind of strange to me to leave dishes in the halls on a cruise ship. Hopefully, there won't be any of that on my upcoming NCL cruise.

Don't count on it. I have been on NCL, RCCI, Celebrity, Holland American, and Princess and have seen dirty dishes on the hall floors on every ship. You certainly have been lucky if you have never seen them. It is really annoying when they sit there for the entire day since people put them out after a late breakfast in their room and the room stewards have already done their morning work. What are people thinking!!!!

When I was in the Gem last September I noticed more plates in the halls than I had ever seen before. I would just leave any plates on the small table in front of the couch, and our steward made them disappear. Unfortunately, he also made our leftover pizza (in the box) disappear, too! I should have left a note!

I just got off the Breakaway on Sunday and I saw dirty dishes in the hall every single day. Like others said, leave them in your room! It is so gross to see half eaten food sitting in the hall. The Breakaway and Getaway have very narrow halls and this just adds to the obstacles to dodge while walking!