Royal shore excursions to Great Barrier Reef

nesheiml

I am looking for information on the 2 Great Barrier Reef excursions through Royal from Cairns. Has anyone done either tour? one is called Great Barrier Reef for $259 and the other is Exploring the Great Barrier Reef for $299.

Can you provide a link to these excursion descriptions? I'm somewhat familiar with GBR tours in/around Cairns and might be able to shed some light on the boat being used, etc. if I can see a description of the excursion.

OK, that's helpful information

The first link you provided is for "Exploring the Great Barrier Reef NW 20"

This tour is for a boat that goes to two different places on the GBR and which carries a maximum of 100 guests. There are a couple of different boats this could be, but it's going to be similar to Ocean Freedom. (Ocean Freedom has a capacity of just over 100 guests and it goes to two different moorings on Upolu Reef.)

The second link is for "Great Barrier Reef NW09". This tour is for a boat which takes you to a fixed pontoon on the GBR. The only boat in Cairns that goes to a fixed pontoon is Reef Magic. Reef Magic has the capacity to carry 300 passengers, so there could be many more people on this excursion.

Reasons to choose "Exploring the Great Barrier Reef NW20"--1) Fewer passengers, 2) experience two different locations on the GBR, 3) more interesting for experienced snorkelers (but first-timers can enjoy it too)

Reasons to choose "Great Barrier Reef NW09"--1) Can see the GBR without getting in the water via glass bottom boat, semi-submersible and underwater viewing platform. This is good if you are a non-swimmer. 2) Snorkeling is in a protected lagoon, so it's good for people who have never snorkeled before.

Although I can't be 100% sure that Ocean Freedom is the boat that is being chartered, here is a link to their website: http://www.oceanfreedom.com.au/

And here's the link to Reef Magic: http://www.reefmagiccruises.com/

Let me know if you have any further questions.

The prices charged by the cruise line seem decent.

More expensive than doing it independently, but hassle free as transport from the place where the ship docks/anchors will be organised. And of course if there is a delay somewhere along the way with the GBF tour the ship wont leave you behind.

As mentioned by GradUT, one tour seems to be on a smaller boat. A lot more "romantic" and personalised, I would imagine.

The tour that takes you to the pontoon uses BIG catamaran style boats with hundreds of passengers. It is bit mass market.

that said, we have done either style several times and enjoyed all.

The tour that takes you to the pontoon is perhaps good as getting there may be more stabile if the seas are bit choppy. There are good bathroom and change room facilities on the pontoon. Usually lunch is included and filtered water / tea /coffee was always available for free.

Extra costs may be the glass bottom boat (dull, if you are going snorkeling), a ride in the semi-submersible (I remember strong smell of vomit on the thing and being pummeled around quite a bit, even in calm seas). then there is the team of photographers who might stalk you like paparazzi. They'll snap you snorkeling, diving (whilst under water), posing on the pontoon etc.

All in all, a trip to the reef (especially if you go to snorkel, dive or take an introduction dive lesson) is wonderful.

Experiencing the GBR floating around, seeing all the fishes, corals and other creatures is awesome. The only down side may be that after the GBR, any other snorkeling excursion may be a disappointment :)

While we were not on a cruise when we visited Cairns in October we did take Ocean Freedom's trip out to the reef. It was a fantastic day all around. We lucked in the great weather so the ride out and back was smooth. They included a light breakfast in the AM, a nice lunch after the first snorkel stop and tea and cakes on the return trip. The crew is just great. Oh, they also had a glass bottom boat if you wanted to use it. We had about 65 passengers and 10 crew. We were originally going with Reef Magic out the hotel concierge talked us out of it and we were glad we changed. Ocean Freedom is a 24 meter cat that can get out and back quickly and with comfort.

Don't discount the larger tour to the pontoon if you are not a confident swimmer. My DH, despite me having taught swimming, is not really a swimmer nor a water lover ( he golfs) But he enjoys a day on the platform every couple of years as there is plenty to amuse him.

Great information! Thank you!

• 1 month later...

This is just the info I needed.

The ship also offers a tour to the GBR from Airlie Beach the day before. It's a 2 hour catamaran ride each way. We thought if we did that, then we could spend our time in Cairns doing something inland. Whereas there's not much else to do in Airlie Beach except look at crocodiles.

Or are we cheating ourselves by not spending the whole time on the reef? We've snorkeled a little, but I'm not a big fan of swimming.

This is just the info I needed.

The ship also offers a tour to the GBR from Airlie Beach the day before. It's a 2 hour catamaran ride each way. We thought if we did that, then we could spend our time in Cairns doing something inland. Whereas there's not much else to do in Airlie Beach except look at crocodiles.

Or are we cheating ourselves by not spending the whole time on the reef? We've snorkeled a little, but I'm not a big fan of swimming.

I'm wondering the same thing! Our cruise is in Cairns for two days. I'm wondering which would be the better pontoon excursion - Airlie Beach or Cairns?

• 1 month later...

links to those tours - without the "cruise" surcharge (which is astronomical). I'm pretty sure this is the reef pontoon offered http://visitcairns.com.au/store/Product.aspx?ProductID=64512b3d-03ed-4a82-8f56-8e44101b8f8c , as for the other one I think it's a charter organised by the cruise line, but would be very similar to this http://visitcairns.com.au/store/Product.aspx?ProductID=aca4bcac-4422-4f32-98c6-9f5421b8e71f