Family of 5... RCI Anthem v. Celebrity Summit

PGPrendy

If you had to choose between a 7-day Celebrity Summit Exotic Caribbean Cruise and a 12-day RCI Anthem Southern Caribbean Cruise to basically the same ports, except Celebrity does St. Thomas when RCI does St. Kitts... the other ports are Barbados, St. Maarten, St. Lucia, and Puerto Rico (Celebrity leaves from PR, but Anthem leaves from NJ)... we live in NY, so NJ is more convenient, but we will sail longer with that option... what would you choose if pricing (with airfare included for the PR option) is comparable? Our group of 5 includes me (my 36th birthday will be during the Celebrity cruise), my husband, our two sons (a 5-yr-old who will turn 6 during the Celebrity cruise, and a 1-yr-old), and my mom. The RCI cruise will be one month after the Celebrity cruise.

I looked at a Celebrity cruise in the Med next summer, but ended up booking RCI. We've been on RCI before - just more for the kids to do. It may not matter that much as your children are smaller, but I sort of view Celebrity as a more adults-oriented line. But that's just me!

Celebrity is a different breed of cat-- it tends to have an older clientele and is definitely not as kid oriented. We liked the Summit but found it lacked the Royal Vibe and was a lot more sedate. We prefer the upbeat style of Royal and depending on the ages o the kids--pretty sure they would find way more to do on the Anthem.

We were on the Summit a few years ago and it was awful. I know others have been on there and said it was great. We aren't complainers, either. But, that was our experience. The Anthem would be better for a family. And more sea days means more family time at the pool, or whatever else you want to do.

Thanks all. We already booked Anthem, but saw this Celebrity deal today that made me second-guess our initial plans. We'll keep our booking :-)

Good decision:) If you were to price Adventure from SJU that would be worth considering but Summit is a smaller older ship.

Thanks all. We already booked Anthem, but saw this Celebrity deal today that made me second-guess our initial plans. We'll keep our booking :-)

Good choice! I would pick the Anthem over Summit any day and I do not have small children. There is way more to do on RCI than Celebrity and 12 days vs. 7 is a HUGE plus!!

Enjoy your cruise!

There is no comparison. Hands down I would choose the 12-day Anthem cruise. It's incredibly convenient you don't need to fly anywhere, it's 5 days longer plus Anthem is a brand new ship.

The Summit while recently refurbished is 16 years old and not in the same league as the sleek, beautiful Anthem.

Have a great cruise on this terrific new Royal Caribbean ship.

Jonathan

Let's see: 7 days v. 12 days, pricing is comparable (when airfare to the 7-day is considered), 12-day doesn't require flying, older ship v. stunningly beautiful new ship....

Was this a trick question? ;)

Ha! I know, I know... in hindsight, it does seem like a trick question :p Looking at the overall value, Anthem is the better choice... a great choice! Now, to figure out how to stay calm because the cruise is a year away!

There is no comparison. Hands down I would choose the 12-day Anthem cruise. It's incredibly convenient you don't need to fly anywhere, it's 5 days longer plus Anthem is a brand new ship.

The Summit while recently refurbished is 16 years old and not in the same league as the sleek, beautiful Anthem.

Have a great cruise on this terrific new Royal Caribbean ship.

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan :) I'm thankful we've booked this cruise, but it's a year away, which seems like a really long wait. I now feel like one of my children... are we there yet?

Good decision:) If you were to price Adventure from SJU that would be worth considering but Summit is a smaller older ship.

Oh maaaan, did you just complicate things! Ha! Adventure actually sails on the same day as the Summit, so it will still allow for the birthday celebrations in the Southern Caribbean :) I know, it's still no Anthem though. You know, it's this one-year wait that's causing this... how does one wait one year for a cruise that's already booked?!

... how does one wait one year for a cruise that's already booked?!

You start by joining the roll call for your cruise and chatting with other people booked on your cruise.

Next, take some time to carefully research all of the ports you'll be visiting. See if there are any specific excursions you're interested in booking. Any restaurants.

Once the reservations open up for Anthem start booking your Dynamic Dining options plus any specialty restaurants.

Book a short cruise for sometime in August, maybe Anthem to Bermuda, break up the wait a little.

Jonathan