Norwegian Breakaway B1 wheelchair accessible Aft room 13908

ennazus

First off, how did we end up with a wheelchair accessible room when we don't use a wheelchair? It was a bit of a snafu. I was trying to book room 13906 online and as usual...NCL logged me out of my account. I had already chosen 13906 and somehow put it in my cart, but couldn't complete the transaction. When I logged back in, 13906 was gone. I think I must have holding it somehow. So I called NCL and explained the situation. The agent also couldn't find 13906, but she saw that 13908 was available. I didn't think that was a problem....it was right next door. It wasn't until we received a confirmation email that I realized what had happened.

We received the following email in part:

This letter is to clarify some of Norwegain [sic] Cruise Line’s policies regarding your Wheelchair Accessible Stateroom . Please read the following and make sure you meet all requirements.

Wheelchair Accessible Stateroom Policies:

• Wheelchairs must be able to navigate through the stateroom door measurements range from 34 in to 36 1⁄2 in (inches) wide.

• Wheelchairs must also be able to navigate The Bathroom door measurements range from 34 1⁄2 in to 36 1⁄2 (inches) wide.

• Motorized wheelchairs and scooters are welcome; however gel-cell batteries must power them. Due to safety regulations, Norwegian Cruise Line cannot accept any wet cell or acid-battery powered wheelchairs.

• If you have booked a Wheelchair Accessible Stateroom and do not have a disability we may ask you to relocate to another stateroom in order to accommodate a guest with a disability.

-----

After reading that last clause, I was a little concerned that we may get our room switched, but I thought I'd take the chance.

We absolutely loved the room with just one exception. We could hear Spice H20's bass BOOMING at night. I loved the balcony of this room more than I disliked the occasional noise, so I never complained to NCL while on the ship. The balcony was awesome.

Pictures without further ado.

Storage & Closets

IMG_1110_zpsmqvygevz.jpg

IMG_1112_zpshck0jtly.jpg

IMG_1113_zpstjgmkbrz.jpg

IMG_1114_zpsvplbqniq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Your comments/pix were a great help. We have same cabin & not disabled. Went thru our TA. If they need this cabin they will upgrade us. But we have had aft cabins on last 2 cruises. Love the balcony! I have a few questions.Refrigerator is in closet, no couch, & does the chair move? Also is thete a table beside headboard by balcony door?I don think the balcony looks any larger than other afts. Hope you can answer me!!

Your comments/pix were a great help. We have same cabin & not disabled. Went thru our TA. If they need this cabin they will upgrade us. But we have had aft cabins on last 2 cruises. Love the balcony! I have a few questions.Refrigerator is in closet, no couch, & does the chair move? Also is thete a table beside headboard by balcony door?I don think the balcony looks any larger than other afts. Hope you can answer me!!

I would not count on the upgrade being anything near what the aft balcony is. Our friends had this cabin booked and were "upgraded" to a mini-suite mid ship. Aside from the aft minis, there is no mini on the ship that it as good as an aft balcony, if you like being in aft room.

Now here is a bit of info that some disagree with, but. Our friends were told on the ship by an officer in the hotel dept that they did not have to switch rooms if they did not want to. They checked into this once they got home and found out that if they really did not want to switch that they did not have to. Enough said on that.

I'm happy that everyone had a nice cruise, but please read this recent thread to understand why there are concerns about non-disabled folks occupying these rooms:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2395789

You are right. Nobody will force you (or maybe even ask you) to move. So while you are enjoying your "extra space", others in need will struggle.

Yes, the refrigerator is behind cabinet doors. There was no couch. I don't know if the chair moved. We never tried to move it.

We are pretty sure was a nightstand between the bed & balcony.

If you look at the deck plans on this page: https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/breakaway/deck-plans (go to deck 13)

you'll see that the balcony is slightly wider than the other balconies on the same deck.

I agree with skeeter, that you'll be hard pressed to be "upgraded" as the aft balconies are in a class of their own.

And this is why I can never find a accessible balcony room for my daughter.

I SO want to make a comment right now supporting you! But I typed up my first response and I knew I would be flamed so keeping my mouth shut. I hope a room opens up for you and your DD !! Frankly I would escalate this issue at NCL .. Not good PR for denying a handicapped person if rooms have been booked by not handicapped

• 2 years later...

How selfish to take a wheelchair accessible cabin when you don't need one. My husband is a paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair. We often can't find ANY accessible cabin for the itineraries and dates we want. There are very limited numbers of

wheelchair accessible cabins. Shame on you...do you park in the handicapped spaces in parking lots too?

1 hour ago, sirhem said:

How selfish to take a wheelchair accessible cabin when you don't need one. My husband is a paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair. We often can't find ANY accessible cabin for the itineraries and dates we want. There are very limited numbers of

wheelchair accessible cabins. Shame on you...do you park in the handicapped spaces in parking lots too?

This thread is over 2 years old. 

I doubt that the OP will respond. 

1 hour ago, sirhem said:

And it’s not just NCL it’s all the lines.

nowhere near enough accessible cabins.

and don’t start me on the pricing issues. At least four cruises this year that I couldn’t ge5 an accessible cabin on the day bookings opened.