Lisbon Walking Tour From Port

If you dock at the Jardim da Tabacao it's very easy to do a walking tour on your own. From the port gates you just walk parallel to the port for 5-10 minutes, then you arrive at a big square which leads on to an area with several museums, shops, the elevator, etc. etc. Strike off through the narrow side streets to the right and you are in the Alfama, the medieval old town, where you can walk up to the Castle and to the cathedral.

Other popular attractions such as the monuments at Belem are too far out to walk, you need to catch a tram or taxi, I think.

If you dock at the Jardim da Tabacao it's very easy to do a walking tour on your own. From the port gates you just walk parallel to the port for 5-10 minutes, then you arrive at a big square which leads on to an area with several museums, shops, the elevator, etc. etc. Strike off through the narrow side streets to the right and you are in the Alfama, the medieval old town, where you can walk up to the Castle and to the cathedral.

Other popular attractions such as the monuments at Belem are too far out to walk, you need to catch a tram or taxi, I think.

Thank you - that helps.Is Jardim da tabacao that main port where ships dock?

Hi Jerry,

No, there are three main ports that are used. Jardim do Tobaco and Santa Apolonia are nearest to the city. Alcantara is lower down river, near the Tegus Bridge and closer to the Belem district (about 5 km out of the city centre, I think).

If you dock at Jardim do Tobaco you will sail past/can see from your ship the big square with an equestrian statue and behind it the gateway to city. You would have to check with your cruise line or on the Port of Lisbon website to find out where you are scheduled to dock. HTH

• 1 month later...
Hi Jerry,

No, there are three main ports that are used. Jardim do Tobaco and Santa Apolonia are nearest to the city. Alcantara is lower down river, near the Tegus Bridge and closer to the Belem district (about 5 km out of the city centre, I think).

If you dock at Jardim do Tobaco you will sail past/can see from your ship the big square with an equestrian statue and behind it the gateway to city. You would have to check with your cruise line or on the Port of Lisbon website to find out where you are scheduled to dock. HTH

How can I find out where my ship will be docked?

midwestchick - If you are sailing Azamara, looks like they dock at Santa Apolonia Terminal.

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/en-ca/lisbon-portugal-cruises

Last time in Lisbon, we did awalking tour of the Alfama with Lisbon Explorer. The cost (35 Euro at the time) was morethan the other walking tours, but the numbers were limited (a maximum of 8participants - we had 7). Our guide was Paolo who is well know from rave reviewson line. The tour was to be 3 hours, but we were actually with Paolo for 5hours. Not once did we feel we wanted to leave the tour or found the timedragging. The tour

offered us great insight into thehistory of Portugal, Lisbon and the Alfamaarea. The meeting location for the tour was Praca do Comercio - a 20 minute walk from the cruise terminal or 8-10 minutes by public transit.

I am a walker...big time. A 10 mile walk is my normal exercise. I have also been to Lisbon (many times) and this is NOT a city where I (sorry for the first person) would not even do a "walking tour" from the port. Parts of Lisbon are very hilly, and many of the best areas are not within easy walking distance of the port. However, you can certainly pair a self walking tour with the use of some inexpensive public transit. Which transit (tram, metro, bus) you would use depends on your docking position. Pay particular attention to the #28 Tram Line (just Google it) which is a great route for many visitors....and costs a fraction of the Hop On Hop Off buses.

Keep in mind that Lisbon does have several different docking piers and they are scattered at some distance from each other. This is why I said that you need to consider your actual dock before deciding the best mode of transport into the center from where you can easily access that #28 Tram (or other modes of transport such as the train to Sintra).

Hank

We used Lisbon Walkers for a 4 hour walking tour and enjoyed it. We docked at Jardim do Tobaco and they provided easy directions for the walk to our meeting spot, by the big statue mentioned early of some king on a horse......it was easy to find, maybe a slow 10 minute walk along the waterfront.

We used Lisbon Walkers for a 4 hour walking tour and enjoyed it. We docked at Jardim do Tobaco and they provided easy directions for the walk to our meeting spot, by the big statue mentioned early of some king on a horse......it was easy to find, maybe a slow 10 minute walk along the waterfront.

That would be Praco do Comercio (Square of Commerce) and the equestrian statue is of King José I (inaugurated 1775) who reigned during the great earthquake and fire that destroyed most of Lisbon in1755.

I am a walker...big time. A 10 mile walk is my normal exercise. I have also been to Lisbon (many times) and this is NOT a city where I (sorry for the first person) would not even do a "walking tour" from the port. Parts of Lisbon are very hilly, and many of the best areas are not within easy walking distance of the port. However, you can certainly pair a self walking tour with the use of some inexpensive public transit. Which transit (tram, metro, bus) you would use depends on your docking position. Pay particular attention to the #28 Tram Line (just Google it) which is a great route for many visitors....and costs a fraction of the Hop On Hop Off buses. Keep in mind that Lisbon does have several different docking piers and they are scattered at some distance from each other. Hank

Appreciate the excellent, as always, tips and insights from Hank. Plus the other info items from others on this helpful thread.

Also happened to see this item on Lisbon this week. From the London/UK Daily Mail two days ago, they have this part of a headline: “See Europe's key cities without breaking the bank: Cheap escape to Lisbon with these highlights: Exploring some of the top sights in Europe need not cost a fortune. With its lofty hills, sun-blushed streets and exciting food scene, Lisbon is hard to beat. It's full of charm — century-old trams, baroque architecture and the Tagus waterfront. Arty abodes and cosy cafes are inexpensive. TOP TIP: Time your trip for the first Sunday of the month when many of the best sights, including the Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga and the Torre de Belém, open their doors for no charge.”.

Sounds exciting and fun! Cannot wait till June when we arrive in June for exploring Lisbon and nearby for the first time. Other high-values such as Dubrovnik, Budapest, Warsaw, Riga, etc., are detailed in this travel story. Other experiences and success stories to share from Lisbon.

Love to hear any and all tips, secrets and ideas for Portugal. Keep 'em coming!!

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-4397998/How-Europe-s-key-cities-without-breaking-bank.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 31,192 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

I should have mentioned (in my earlier post) that we love being on a cruise that does an overnight in Lisbon (HAL does this on a few of their itineraries). Whenever we have an overnight (or if we are just visiting on one of our driving trips) we really enjoy going to Senor Vinho (its a restaurant) for dinner and the Fado show. Fado is a very unique music not found in many parts of the world. There are several Fado restaurants/clubs in Lisbon...some being more touristy then others....but its fun for music lovers. No need to use an overpriced ship excursion as you simply book your own reservation (we do this before the cruise) and grab a taxi to get to the restaurant/show.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

You can check out Crew Center http://crew-center.com/cruise-ship-port-schedules-2017

and Cruise Cal http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/ItineraryLookup/tabid/2918/Default.aspx

to see where and when your ship is expected to dock.

Please bear in mind that these times are subject to change depending on factors such as the weather, if your ship encounters mechanical problems, etc., but are a good guide for planning DIY shore excursions, as at least you have an idea of how much time you should leave as a safety margin before being safely back on board prior to sailaway.

• 1 month later...

We are going to be on Windstar Star Breeze in November, sailing trans-Atlantic from Lisbon. The Port of Lisbon website says it will be at "berth 208" - can anyone tell me where that is? We are trying to figure out what hotel to book. Thanks!!

• 8 months later...
You can check out Crew Center http://crew-center.com/cruise-ship-port-schedules-2017

and Cruise Cal http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/ItineraryLookup/tabid/2918/Default.aspx

to see where and when your ship is expected to dock.

Please bear in mind that these times are subject to change depending on factors such as the weather, if your ship encounters mechanical problems, etc., but are a good guide for planning DIY shore excursions, as at least you have an idea of how much time you should leave as a safety margin before being safely back on board prior to sailaway.

Not very IT savvy so when I go into these links to try and find which terminal the Carnival Horizon will be docked at in May in Lisbon, I am not finding that info. Is that unfo available?