Car seat requirement for cab/shuttles

rxgirl05

I'm trying to determine the best transportation from Port Everglades to Fort Lauderdale airport. Does FL law mandate children under 5 years old to be in child restraint seat in a cab or shuttle?

Yes- but from personal experience it is not enforced.

I'm facing the same dilemma.

I don't want to haul 2 car seats on the plane and try to fit them in our room on the ship.

We opted to fly in 1 day early and use the hotel shuttle from the airport to hotel and also from hotel to port.

From what I've read on other posts, car seats are not required on a bus or a shuttle, but they ARE in a car/taxi/uber/lyft.

I still haven't figured out transportation from port back to the airport.

how old, tall and heavy is the child? what seat do you use at home? if the kid is younger than 2, will you have a separate seat for him on the plane?

There is a sign by the taxi stand at FLL airport that says that by FL law, kids younger than 5 need to be in car seats. Yet, taxi drivers don't usually give a crap (excuse my language). One had the seatbelts tucked into the seat, so we spent some time untucking them so we could buckle up. The other one started driving, while I was putting the kid into the car seat (I was still standing outside the taxi). They drive like crazy in FLL.

P.S. We traveled on a cruise once with a Britax Frontier CT, and it was easier than I thought. It fit into a closet very nicely. We are about to bring it again on a cruise in November, because we have to fly to FLL, but drive back for 10 hours. I strap it to a folding luggage cart with bungee cords and wheel it through the airport and port. Check out Travel With Children board on www.babycenter.com for additional tips.

P.S. We traveled on a cruise once with a Britax Frontier CT, and it was easier than I thought. It fit into a closet very nicely. We are about to bring it again on a cruise in November, because we have to fly to FLL, but drive back for 10 hours. I strap it to a folding luggage cart with bungee cords and wheel it through the airport and port. Check out Travel With Children board on www.babycenter.com for additional tips.

We have the same car seat but find it quite heavy to carry... trying to find something lighter/easier to transport for our 5 yo but will bring the frontier if all else fails.

I don't have first hand experience with this (but have checked it out for next year when our granddaughter goes on an Alaska cruise with us) but I have seen it recommended on this forum and the family cruises forum: https://www.amazon.com/BubbleBum-Travel-Booster-Seat-Black/dp/B00AQYZCXK?th=1 for children 4 years old and 40 pounds and older. Check out this thread on the family cruises forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1434609

4.5 year old, prob will be about 43lb by travel time. No booster for the flight as child can sit in own seat on airplane. Flying in night before the cruise. Literally only have travel to hotel from airport, hotel to cruise port, and port to airport. Would like to travel light as still have suitcases and stroller and 2 young kids.

I am trying to figure out this same exact thing now. We also booked a hotel with shuttle from FLL to hotel and from hotel to port everglades and now just need a ride to FLL after the cruise. We are a family of 5, 3 kids 5 and under. I have never travelled with my car seats and do not want to start now. I thought I would just be able to grab a shuttle bus. Can I ask if you found any transportation yet?

You should search the family cruise board to see what others cruising with children have done: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

QLS, Go Airport and some of the other shared shuttle companies offer car seats - I would also call your hotel to see what they suggest. The cruise line transfer bus is another over-priced option.

Hotel, Car Rental, and Ships shuttles have never required us to have a car seat. Taxi and car hires have. We have car service transport booked for next month from MCO - hotel, hotel - port, and port - MCO with our 5 & 3 yoa grand daughters. The car service is providing the car seat for the five year old as the three year old is flying with her's.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I will be bringing a backless booster seat from home. Everything i read states kids under 5 need a car seat. Will be safe and bring own.

I am trying to figure out this same exact thing now. We also booked a hotel with shuttle from FLL to hotel and from hotel to port everglades and now just need a ride to FLL after the cruise. We are a family of 5, 3 kids 5 and under. I have never travelled with my car seats and do not want to start now. I thought I would just be able to grab a shuttle bus. Can I ask if you found any transportation yet?

We have the same car seat but find it quite heavy to carry... trying to find something lighter/easier to transport for our 5 yo but will bring the frontier if all else fails.

you don't carry it - you strap it to a folding luggage cart with bungee cords and wheel it through the airport.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to see how your experience was? Travelling 2 kids under 4 in December. Planning on Hotel shuttle from airport-hotel and hotel-port, and trying to determine the ride back from port-airport. Any advice would be great!!

Just wanted to see how your experience was? Travelling 2 kids under 4 in December. Planning on Hotel shuttle from airport-hotel and hotel-port, and trying to determine the ride back from port-airport. Any advice would be great!!

We are also traveling in December. I ended up booking a shuttle service that provides car seats (free) to bring us from cruise port to airport.

We just returned from the Oasis with our 5 & 3 yoa grand-daughters. The car hire (SUV & Mini-Van) required car seats. We had one for the 3 yoa and the car hire provided a five point boaster for the 5 yoa. The ships shuttle bus from port to MCO didn't require it for either one of the girls.

As a warning, we found out the hard way that the newer Air Bus planes have airbag seat belts on some seats that they will not allow a car seat to be used in. This created a great deal of issues on one leg of a flight and I am not happy with American Airlines over this.

• 2 months later...
We are also traveling in December. I ended up booking a shuttle service that provides car seats (free) to bring us from cruise port to airport.

Hope your trip went well ! I am trying to plan my family trip and got stuck when it came to the car seat issue. Mind me asking which shuttle service you went with ? Also, the cost of it and any additional information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you !

Hope your trip went well ! I am trying to plan my family trip and got stuck when it came to the car seat issue. Mind me asking which shuttle service you went with ? Also, the cost of it and any additional information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you !

The trip did go well, Thank you! We used South Florida Shuttles it was $48 which included tip. They were very nice and easy to deal with. They came in a big van that could have fit 20 people for my family of 5 and had the car seats for us to use. Hope this helps.

The trip did go well, Thank you! We used South Florida Shuttles it was $48 which included tip. They were very nice and easy to deal with. They came in a big van that could have fit 20 people for my family of 5 and had the car seats for us to use. Hope this helps.

Just the answer I was looking for without posting the question! In your opinion would this option be feasible...? There are 10 of us total, 6 adults, 4 kids ages 7, 6, 4 and 21 months (yes, I'm crazy!)

My thought was to rent a couple of cars to get from FLL to hotel. I wasn't sure if we should take the rental cars to drop everyone off at the port and then return them to the airport, have the rental company take us to the port and then take a shuttle from port to FLL. As you can tell, I'm totally lost figuring this all out! Any thoughts or ideas??

Thanks!

From where to where? :confused: From FLL to POM? From FLL to PE?

For 10 plus bags (and several car/booster seats) you'll need to rent 2 minivans or 3 standard cars.

I would track down South FLA Shuttles to see if they can handle your group - might be cheaper and less hassle.

Is everybody arriving at FLL on the same flight? We have done 14 family members at one time to the ship, but they all came in to FLL at different times. Everybody did taxis from FLL to hotel (Doubletree Galleria One). Then we did a "party bus" from hotel to PE. It was probably a little large than what we needed, but it had plenty of room for luggage and people. Plus, it was a fun way to start off vacation. From ship to FLL we just did the ships shuttle.