Crown Princess - Pier in NY

Second seating

Red Hook Pier should be about a 15 minute cab ride, maybe even less. We plan on taking the MTA from Poughkipsee to GCS and then a cab to the pier.

Can"t wait;)

I don't know what time of day you'll be traveling, but it is going to be quite a bit longer than that. I would estimate at least 45 minutes from midtown.

Red Hook Pier should be about a 15 minute cab ride, maybe even less. We plan on taking the MTA from Poughkipsee to GCS and then a cab to the pier.

Can"t wait;)

More like 45 minutes in GOOD traffic. If your driver gets on the BQE during rush hour (or a wreck happens), it could definitely take all of 1 1/2 hours. If your driver takes the back streets, it will definitely take an hour. And $50-60.00.

While this little PR piece paints a nice picture, please be aware that Red Hook is almost totally an industrial area, which shuts down at 5:00PM. There are very few places to eat (mostly diners for the longshoremen and local workers), nothing to do and no place to shop.

And it will NOT change until NYC and the powers that be rezone the area (currently industrial only) and resolve all the lawsuits which have been filed. There are manufacturing and other companies which have been there for YEARS. They don't wish to move and have filed all types of lawsuits.

This is truly a Carnival fiasco for passengers. But the corporate tax benefits must have been really good and now the shareholders are pleased. Just don't plan on walking around and finding things to do, as you could easily do from the West Side Piers. Treat arriving in Red Hook more like arriving at a large airport-you are only there to get to your final destination.

Sounds to me like no one here plans to spend any time in Red Hook, as they're simply asking for transportation ideas to the port. I've googled Red Hook and there are tons of pics of the entire area and I know what to expect. Until this year, Baltimore's port has been in a totally industrial area also.

Kelly...Amtrak? It's a direct route. Go online and check prices. If you're a AAA member, there are discounts. When is your cruise?

While this little PR piece paints a nice picture, please be aware that Red Hook is almost totally an industrial area, which shuts down at 5:00PM. There are very few places to eat (mostly diners for the longshoremen and local workers), nothing to do and no place to shop.

Just don't plan on walking around and finding things to do...

[Kelly...Amtrak? It's a direct route. Go online and check prices. If you're a AAA member, there are discounts. When is your cruise?

/QUOTE]

August 25th . . . I looked and the train is more expensive than flying. I thought that was odd. We can fly for about $284 total, so if parking is $25 per day for a 10 day cruise, that's $250 plus gas & tolls - I figure we may as well fly. Actually I'm thinking we should've looked for a cruise out of Baltimore instead - it seemed like a good idea at the time!

Thanks!

Kelly

OK...since we're so close to Baltimore's Penn Station, it makes absolutely no sense for us to fly. August rates on the Crown are much higher than our September 3 rate.

Well, I'd love to cruise from Baltimore also (we did in 2004 on a ship that was 6 mos old), but the only ship here is the RCI Grandeur of the Seas and for the cabin I wanted, it was $350 more for a 10-yr old ship. I'd rather use that $350 to pay for Amtrak roundtrip and sail on a brand new ship. Besides, we love NY and we'll use any excuse to visit.

I'll make sure to wave as you'll be leaving when we're embarking. Good luck and enjoy!

Kelly, if you're interested, here's your Roll Call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=178011

[Kelly...Amtrak? It's a direct route. Go online and check prices. If you're a AAA member, there are discounts. When is your cruise?

/QUOTE]

August 25th . . . I looked and the train is more expensive than flying. I thought that was odd. We can fly for about $284 total, so if parking is $25 per day for a 10 day cruise, that's $250 plus gas & tolls - I figure we may as well fly. Actually I'm thinking we should've looked for a cruise out of Baltimore instead - it seemed like a good idea at the time!

Thanks!

Kelly

Diane, I live in Parlin and we are using Longo Limo 732-721-5774 to take us to Brooklyn.

My office is in Woodbridge and we use Woodbridge Checker Taxi as a messenger service. They are very prompt with our packages and we have never had a problem with them. I am not sure if they have larger vehicles but their number is 634-8300

Kelly...Amtrak? It's a direct route. Go online and check prices. If you're a AAA member, there are discounts. When is your cruise?

If you do take Amtrak, you won't be arriving at Grand Central Station - it would be Penn Station instead.

I grew up In Queens and worked in Brooklyn before moving out of the city. LaGuardia is closer, entrance to BQE is a mile from the airport. On weekends, cab drive should be no more than a half-hour, unless there is an accident and that can happen anywhere. There is nothing by the piers in Red Hook. If you are driving there during the week, that half hour drive can end up being 60 to 90 minutes.

It's not in the boonies. Red Hook is right across the river from Lower Manhattan. ;)

Does anyone know what the closest and/or most accessible airport is then to the Red Hook pier? I guess I didn't realize it was in the boonies. Too bad, the other NY pier is a great location.

Red Hook IS right across from Manhattan and a very short cab ride or long walk from "downtown" Brooklyn which has a very active night life along Atlantic Avenue and Montaque Street - many, many small, ethnic restaurants with great food and a wonderful view of Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge. There is nothing in the immediate area of the piers, it is industrial

If you are taking a cab from Grand Central Station, it will probably be upwards of 1/2 an hour - most of it in Manhattan traffic. You would not be going on the BQE if you are coming from Manhattan - you should be going over the Brooklyn Bridge and then streets from there, or through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and the BQE for one exit or the streets.

If you are flying in, LGA is geographically the closest, but take your pick of whichever (LGA, JFK or Newark) has the best flights. We live in Brooklyn and use any of the three (order of preference, Kennedy, Newark, LGA).

Archived