No More Drinking For Under 21 On Rccl's Ships!!!!!!

I found a new flyer on RCCL's corparate site that shows they will no longer allow anyone under 21 to drink. It also show the specific alcohol rules. I don't really see it as a big issue, my son is 18 and he was allowed to drink on our recent Radiance cruise but I don't think he had one, mabe a beer in the concierge lounge. I will attach a link to the memo.

Happy cruising

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/royal/General_info/Flyers/SL06-124446_RCI_IndustryFirst.pdf

I wonder if declining revenue will cause them to rescind this policy.

I also wonder if it will really be enforced on ships... I suppose there is a liability issue if it isnt enforced BUT, since the public hasnt been made aware of it just yet....

I can hear TA's now...

TA: "Just wanted to let you know, the age limit for drinking on RCCL ships is 21, no exceptions"

Consumer: "Really? I thought I could drink beer and wine with a parental consent form?"

TA: "that policy changed fleetwide effective 6/15/2006"

Consumer: "is there another cruiseline that sails the same itinerary that does allow 18-21 year olds to consume beer and wine?"

TA: "there sure is, let me gather the info on it for you and get back to you"

They hang up and TA now knows she/he will be making a much nicer commission now because customer decided against RCCL.

Is this for real? Somehow the wording of the flyer doesn't seem on the level. Can't anyone make a PDF document and post it? I'm feel skeptical but not of the OP, of the maker of the flyer.

This is from the promowave site - the site that RCCL uses to communicate with TAs about their most recent specials, resident discounts, etc.

It's legit.

The question is - when is the public going to be told...?

This is from the promowave site - the site that RCCL uses to communicate with TAs about their most recent specials, resident discounts, etc.

It's legit.

The question is - when is the public going to be told...?

Good question. The RCI web site still has the old policy in place. 18 - 20 with waiver except in Alaska which is 21 and over only.

What made me question it is the 4th bullet line. The part about no drinking regardless..... Why would anyone have signed a waiver if they don't allow drinking for this age group. In other words, there would be no waivers to sign. It just sounds odd.

I don't see RCI making a huge issue out of announcing this but they will have to change the information in the ticket books. I have mine in front of me for the SOS sailing on 6/30 and it still has the old rules in it. I doubt that this will make a difference though. I see RCI just simply letting folks know that the age limit has change effective a certain date.

I'm betting that it's a farce, and it's all in the first paragraph.

From the memo:

"Royal Caribbean International will no longer serve beer and wine to guests between the ages of 18 and 21 with a parental waiver."

It should read "between the ages of 18 and 20." On the surface, it looks like an understandable misprint, but remember...RCI is a giant company with people whose sole job is to make sure misprints like this don't happen. I noticed it in 3 seconds, this would have to pass through many sets of eyes before it was ever released. It's not hard for people who are really good with computers and internet to hack into websites and put up fake info like this. Heck, Yahoo gets hacked into and I'm sure their security is 1000 times better then RCCL.com.

I find it a lot more likely that someone hacked into the website then for RC to make a mistake like that.

I think that Royal Carribean should wait to enforce the policy because it blows for people who picked Royal Carribean over Carnival (like me) just so that they could drink on board. They should give atleast a 6 month warning for a change like this. I don't see what is wrong with an 19 year old having a few beers......

I am so surprised to hear this- I just got off the Explorer and had my 20 yr old son and his 20 yr old girlfriend in our party of 6. Her parents ( who were not on the cruise)had given her permission to drink as did we with our son, neither of the kids really drink much and we figured as long as they were well supervised it was fine. And it was- however-a couple disturbing things happend that lead me to beleive another kid that does like to overindulge would be well taken care of on the ship. Upon embarkation, I had to sign the waiver forms again. The service person next to the one I was dealing with announced that since I was not the parent of one of the kids, she would not be allowed to drink. I was a bit upset since I had discussed the issue with RCCL prior- since I wasnt her parent. As it turned out, it made no difference because my service person whispered to me not to worry because he would change her paperwork and make her 21. Also, although the cruise line punched a hole in my sons card- showing he was under 21 but could drink wine and beer- i was surprised that he was allowed to order anything he liked at anytime. As I said, for ourselves we saw no issue because neither kid likes more than 1 or 2 drinks a day and they were well supervised but the opportunities that do exist are limitless. We saw one girl who couldn't have been more than 14 being carried by her 10-12 year old brother and was so intoxicated she could barley stand. I am not sure that the rule will be enforced since the ones that exist now are not. Now on the other hand- since the drinking age in most of the ports we were in is well under 21, I'm not sure how they can actually make this rule. I honestly think they should concentrate on enforcing the rules they do have and that a parent that allows their child to drink should take full responsibility for their welfare and safety- we did and we had no problems at all. Giving our kids the opportunity to do something"naughty" takes away the urge to sneak around and do it anyhow.

I'm betting that it's a farce, and it's all in the first paragraph.

From the memo:

"Royal Caribbean International will no longer serve beer and wine to guests between the ages of 18 and 21 with a parental waiver."

It should read "between the ages of 18 and 20." On the surface, it looks like an understandable misprint, but remember...RCI is a giant company with people whose sole job is to make sure misprints like this don't happen. I noticed it in 3 seconds, this would have to pass through many sets of eyes before it was ever released. It's not hard for people who are really good with computers and internet to hack into websites and put up fake info like this. Heck, Yahoo gets hacked into and I'm sure their security is 1000 times better then RCCL.com.

I find it a lot more likely that someone hacked into the website then for RC to make a mistake like that.

I totally missed that and you are right, the RCI website states it as you say. So, there are multiple flaws with the flyer. It could have even been posted there by someone who works at the travel agency web site - all in fun.

Or maybe RCI is letting the travel agents take a look and are asking "what if we do this" opinions.

After all, it hasn't been the younger beer and wine drinkers who have caused the alcohol problems on board that I've heard about.

While the memo does look a little unprofessional, and may very well not be approved by RCI. I certainly wish this was true. I don't think it would hinder their sales, and the vast majority that cruise with RCI would view this a step in the right direction to improve safety on board for all. I also do not think anyone 18-20 actually go on a cruise just so they can drink.

-Mike

This does look like an announcement RCCL would send out (even with the mistakes:) ). I have searched the travel agent site for RCCL and also the www.rccl.com website and I have not found anything concerning this. I've received two emails today from them and neither concern the alcohol policy. I'm not saying this isn't true...just can't find anything yet. I'm not surprised by it at all and I can see the other cruiselines adopting the same policy soon.

While the memo does look a little unprofessional, and may very well not be approved by RCI. I certainly wish this was true. I don't think it would hinder their sales, and the vast majority that cruise with RCI would view this a step in the right direction to improve safety on board for all. I also do not think anyone 18-20 actually go on a cruise just so they can drink.

-Mike

I'll be honest, a good part of the reason we cruise RCCL and Celebrity is because of their drinking policy. I, at 19, enjoy being able to have wine with dinner, and maybe a beer at night in one of the bars. It's a vacation treat, and I very much enjoy it. It's certainly not why I cruise, but it is why I cruise RCI (We would probably choose Celebrity anyways because we love it, but maybe not RCCL).

Now I know, not all people my age are responsible with drinking, but I do think it might have somewhat of an effect. Who knows though, it could be balanced out by other demographics feeling safer? I wish people in my age group didn't behave so irresponsibly with alcohol, it makes it a real pain for those who are responsible with it.

Also, does anyone know where one coud contact to verify this? I'd be very interested to know, seeing as we are booking 2 cruises with RCI within the week, and this might effect that, to be honest.

I thought it look real but I guess I can't worry about it. I did get my e-docs and completed online check-in and the waiver for my son who is 19 is included in that so I guess we will see what happens. We were on HAL last year and it was 21. I do not think this is going to help solve anything anyway except upset people. It really dosen't seem fair that you book a vacation and then just before your ready to go the rules change. I know I'll catch flack for that but it is no different than them saying we closed our spa. Dosen't affect everyone and is a personal choice.

I was just in the TA site and can not find that announcement/form anywhere. It will be interesting to see if it is, in fact true.

IMHO, I hope it is. There have been too many incidents on board, and I think the cruise lines will finally take some action to at least attempt to cut down on underage drinking.

Archived