How about a no-swimsuit day?

MrsPete

What would you recommend for a family of four (two girls, ages 9 and 12) that wouldn't involve a beach day or water sports?

We've already planned our other port days, and they're ALL beachy-water-sports type things. I'm thinking that we might enjoy ONE tour-isty, stay dry day.

When are you traveling? The only problem with a "stay-dry" day I see is that the summer months in the Caribbean are very HOT and humid. When in Cancun some years back, we canceled our day trip to the ruins becasue it was so hot in July that anywhere away from water or air-conditioning was unbearable. However, it was great on the beach with the ocean breeze and chance to jump in the water. Same with Cayman Islands - were there several years ago in June - very hot away from the water. Also, I don't think the turtle farm or "Hell" are very good side trips - just my opinion - I felt sorry for the turtles :( We did some shopping but don't know if your kids would like the type of things they have for sale. Maybe your family would consider staying on the ship and enjoying a less-crowded day while everyone else does shore excursions?

We're traveling in mid-October, so I expect the weather to be warm enough for swimsuits/shorts, but not unbearably hot and miserable. This is an important point, and I should have mentioned it.

These are our other stops:

Labadee -- beach day, will probably rent jet skis

Jamaica -- plan to do Dunn's Falls (a wet climb) and Margaritaville (pools, slides, water trampolines)

Cozumel -- plan to do the jeeps/jungle thing, which includes a stop at the beach and snorkeling

Maybe I should forget about the one dry-day idea and plan something beachy; it would be too bad to miss the water in the Caymans. IF we do a dry-day thing, it'll probably be in the Caymans. On Labadee there's nothing to do except water-related activities. And the excursions in Jamaica and Cozumel jumped out at us as "must-dos".

But, on the other hand, our four shore stops are all in a row -- no at sea days in between -- I just wonder if it'll seem like too much of a good thing. I'm very unsure about this!

The SNUBA stuff looks great, but my youngest is rather chicken about the water, and I don't think she'd go for it. I would hate to have her sitting in the boat fussing while the rest of us have a great time underwater. MAYBE she'll do some maturing between now and the trip, but I hate to count on it!

• 5 months later...

We have visited GC several times and have done StingRay City, snorkling and shopping. However, because of recent surgery, my doctor has recommended no swimming, snorkling, etc. Therefore we are looking at a 'non-wet' day in GC as well. We are weighing the option of renting a car, but want opinions as to independant taxi tours, etc. Thanks.

Dee

• 2 weeks later...

No real advice for the Cayman's. We've decided to go with Captain Bryan on this trip - have gone to 7 mile beach previously.

However my advice regards to Jamaica. I would NOT take my children to Margaritaville. I have been there 3 different times -- twice in the evening and once during the day. In my opinion it is not a place for young children. I was amazed at the things that went on in that place. Yes, I know they have the slide, trampoline, etc... but it's still not a place for kids.

Just my opinion...

Lori

I did the glass bottom boat, Hell and Turtle Farm. Also, got great deals on liquor at Tortuga by the turtle farm (turtle.ky). Afterwards, got a great deal on a watch in town and did a little shopping around while the wife gawk and dreamed over jewelry... (she got her gift by the end, rest assured).

This time around, we have decided to do Sea Grape beach for a good portion of the day and wander around Georgetown afterwards.

I know that if my brother-in-law comes along on this trip, he'll be sure we all get a picture with Big Black Dick outside his liquor shop...

We rented a car the last time we were there and have rented one again for our upcoming cruise. The ride to Rum point is fun and you can do it at your own pace and see as much as you would like along the way. You can rent a car for under $50 for the day and driving on the left was fairly easy with a good " copilot " :)

I'm doing the stingray thing. Looking forward to that. Doing dry at Key West instead. I will say though the rum cake factory is great. (It is not an actual factory). They let you taste the cakes (or at least we did). I'm curious if you can do Turtle Farm without having to go through your cruise tour or any tour. It was too crowded for me to really enjoy it. It was basically a small turtle farm (and I'm being loose on the word farm) zoo type thing with a gift shop attached. While the presentation is great, it's not this big spread or nature type thing that I expected. Cayman is quite modern looking as far as shops go. I liked the look of Grand Caymen. I actually preferred shopping there as compared to some of the other ports I went to.

You can do the turtle farm on your own without a ship tour, it might cost a couple bucks more and you might not get a guide but you can still do it on your own and hit it early before all the other tours get there after doing their boat/sub/snorkeling deals.

It was THE highlight of an already fabulous cruise. The stingrays are just amazing to see (and feed and pet!). I would love to do it again!

By the way, we used Captain Bryan's and LOVED it...19 people on a catamaran so it was not crowded in any way. We just received their professional photographs (they mailed us a CD) and they look great!

Archived