Buying Cigarettes--HELP!

rmwilbo

We are getting ready to leave for our cruise on the Holiday in a few days. I don't smoke but DH does.:eek: He would like to know if cigarettes might be cheaper on the boat than here at home. He smokes Marlboro and pays about $34 a carton. Yes, I did a seach, but most current post was from 2006. Would like a little more recent information. O! Does the Holiday sell Marlboros? Our port is Cozumel....does anyone know about cig prices there? Thanks!!:)

Marlboro currently are about $18-$19 a carton on the ships. The tobacco is Virginia, Class A from the ships. Ashore they might not be so. I have seen deals onboard for something like buy 4, get 1 free.

All this info from a non-smoker, lol :)

Marlboro currently are about $18-$19 a carton on the ships. The tobacco is Virginia, Class A from the ships. Ashore they might not be so. I have seen deals onboard for something like buy 4, get 1 free.

All this info from a non-smoker, lol :)

Gotta make sure DH has his cigs to make sure we all have a pleasant trip!:D

Sounds like he will be buying them on the ship!!

We just got some on the Legend. My dad smokes Marlboro 100's so they didn't have the 5 box special with the 100's. I think we paid 70 for 4 cartons. Also, I wanted to add that no one checked to see how many we bought in customs on the way home. I put some in carry on and some in our locked luggage. You are supposed to be able to bring back 1 carton per person over 18 but I don't think it is enforced at all. Good luck!

Does anyone know if lighters or matches are sold on board?

They will give you books of matches at any of the bars that allow smoking but no lighters were sold onboard. We bought a cheap one in Cozumel and ditched it at the airport before we left.

I think I read recently that you can now fly with lighters again?

We just got some on the Legend. My dad smokes Marlboro 100's so they didn't have the 5 box special with the 100's. I think we paid 70 for 4 cartons. Also, I wanted to add that no one checked to see how many we bought in customs on the way home. I put some in carry on and some in our locked luggage. You are supposed to be able to bring back 1 carton per person over 18 but I don't think it is enforced at all. Good luck!

My 1st cruise my bestfriend and myself only bought 1 carton each, because we were nervous about getting more than 1, needless to say noone checked and I was p o'd so on my 2nd cruise (solo) this past Feb I decided to take a chance and came home with 4 cartons here in Mass they are like $50.00 per carton I paid about $37.00 for 2 and will be doing it again next month i did the same as you emptied them out and spread them out.

We are getting ready to leave for our cruise on the Holiday in a few days. I don't smoke but DH does.:eek: He would like to know if cigarettes might be cheaper on the boat than here at home. He smokes Marlboro and pays about $34 a carton. Yes, I did a seach, but most current post was from 2006. Would like a little more recent information. O! Does the Holiday sell Marlboros? Our port is Cozumel....does anyone know about cig prices there? Thanks!!:)

Buy them the first night on your cruise. That is when they offer the best deals: "Buy 4 get 5 (cartons)" etc. Learned this the hard way but the ship prices are alot better than at home no matter where you live. Current price for Martlboro red regular at local Wal=Mart is $27.89 per carton plus tax.

My 1st cruise my bestfriend and myself only bought 1 carton each, because we were nervous about getting more than 1, needless to say noone checked and I was p o'd so on my 2nd cruise (solo) this past Feb I decided to take a chance and came home with 4 cartons here in Mass they are like $50.00 per carton I paid about $37.00 for 2 and will be doing it again next month i did the same as you emptied them out and spread them out.

I quit a few months before my cruise and couldn't believe how cheap they were. I brought some back from Cozumel for my sister and paid $19 for the caron. Mizz_K you are so right about the prices here in MA. I saw them at a discount place and the Marlboro Menthols I used to smoke were $56.00 a carton. I would have been happy with the $30 prices people thought were high! We get killed with the vice tax here in MA. I am saving a bundle since I quit but I crave them daily. I had to quit due to a heart problem so it made it a little easier.

We have sailed on the Holiday three times. The prices in April were 2 cartons for $34.95 or buy 4 and get one free depending on what type you smoke.

We always bring home more than we are supposed to. We ususally end up with 10 cartons. Everyone wants us to buy them while we are gone because of the prices. We have never been stopped or searched. When purchasing they "have to" tell you that you are only allowed one carton per person over the age of 19. Just say ok and go on your merry way. Also since you will be buying a popular brand I advise to buy them on the first night. This way you will be sure to get what you want. You also get to take them to you cabin then.

Mobile is a laid back port and unless you cause trouble or act suspisious (sp) they don't bother you at all.

Also since Mobile is also our home town we stock up on liquor as well. I always declare what we bought but have never been charged the extra duty for the extra bottles.

what was the duty on the cigs. The told us only 1 carton pp. After that you had to pay duty. Just don't know how much.

Bill

If you port in a US Virgin Island you may bring back 5 cartons of cigs per adult duty free... The catch is 4 of the 5 cartons must be purchased in the USVI's...If not only one carton is allowed.

Go to Carnival it is in the FAQ's section under duty...;)

I bought a carton an RCI ship, but I'm sure it's about the same on Carnival. I paid about $24. They had very few brands, but Marlboro was one.

BUT!!!! RCI did not have lighters or matches available anywhere on the ship, for sale or to give away. Safety regulations. I had to bum a lighter from a total stranger. So make sure DH takes a supply of matches -- these days, I'm not sure if he can carry a lighter onto a plane.

BUT!!!! RCI did not have lighters or matches available anywhere on the ship, for sale or to give away. Safety regulations. I had to bum a lighter from a total stranger. So make sure DH takes a supply of matches -- these days, I'm not sure if he can carry a lighter onto a plane.

You can carry lighters on a plane again starting today. My use of my husband's lighter was very sought after the first day or two on our last cruise. We are driving distance from the port so he was one of the few onboard that had a lighter with him.

Thanks everyone for all the quick replies. I passed info to DH, but I am hoping he keeps his mouth shut about how cheap they will be to his buddies. Otherwise I will have to bring an empty suitcase along just for all the cigs he'll have to haul back!:eek: :D

I quit a few months before my cruise and couldn't believe how cheap they were. I brought some back from Cozumel for my sister and paid $19 for the caron. Mizz_K you are so right about the prices here in MA. I saw them at a discount place and the Marlboro Menthols I used to smoke were $56.00 a carton. I would have been happy with the $30 prices people thought were high! We get killed with the vice tax here in MA. I am saving a bundle since I quit but I crave them daily. I had to quit due to a heart problem so it made it a little easier.

They don't call it Taxachusettes for nothing:)

:confused:

Why were you po'ed??

By the way it is one carton per adult over 21. I was asked by customs when I came back from my last cruise in April how many Cartons I had. I told them that I thought it was 18 and they said no that Federal law is 21.
Please read my previous post on this thread of # of cigs allowed...(per Carnival FAQs section) You may bring home 5 cartons per adult.

On age 18 for smokes 21 for booze....That is the federal law......;)

Archived