Does HAL ever give Senior Citizen discounts?

Charliesmom

In January of 2003, we took a cruise on the Celebrity Mercury. After final payment date, I heard from a Cruise critic that Celebrity was giving a Senior Citizen discount for our cruise. I called my agent who called Celebrity and she got us a discount of $500 per cabin. I had closely monitored the price of the cruise on Celebrity's website and had already gotten a reduction of $600 per cabin because it wasn't selling well. The price of our mini-suite went from $1750 per person to $1200 per person, making it a very economical cruise.

Does this ever happen on HAL?

We have cruised many, many times on Princess and it never happens. Also, Princess rarely honors a price reduction after final payment (or so I am told - I have never asked).

Roberta

Given HAL's tendency to attract the active, experienced traveled crowd (people who would not only never see 60 again, but wouldn't recognize it if they did), a Senior Citizen discount would be like Disney giving a discount for kids.

I have rarely seen senior discounts in the last three years. It never hurts to ask, however.

MSC Italian Cruises works with AARP and does offer nice senior discounts. Their two new ships, "Lirica" and "Opera" are very, very nice. They sail from Ft. Lauderdale in the winter.

I'd never heard of the senior discounts, but someone posting here a few months back mentioned that he called HAL to book and they offered him a Sr. discount. I dont' know if it was AARP or just a discount. I couldn't find the post so its probably on the older board. It might be that its there if you ask for it. Never hurts to ask. Just like our AAA card. We have saved tons using it. It always pays for itself, but sometimes you have to ask or they won't tell you.

Say ... what if HAL gave discounts at the END of the cruise based on our "performance?" That's the way we've tipped our service staff for years. Why not turn it around? If we've been good little campers, haven't been a pain in any steward's backside, haven't raked the purser over the coals, then we get a rebate on our shipboard account. On the other hand, it we have been just this side of demonic with our service staff, then our bill will remain as-is. What do you think?

Archived