Court of Appeal Upholds Searches of Cruise Ship Passenger Cabins

A vessel beit ship, plane, auto is subject to search by customs. I was a military customs inspector for a brief time frame, customs can come aboard a plane and inspect it as complete as he or she feels needed before clearing it. This Includes passengers and their cargo. To many people forget they are leaving the country and re-entering the country when the take a cruise. Would the individual have protested had he been flying in on a plane from another country and had the drugs in his possession? Be carefull out there, the man is gonna get ya.

No offence meant, but what's your point in posting this.......

I found this article quite interesting and the point being that customs does research crew/passenger manifests that are required to be provided by all passenger cruise ships on every sailing and that they can board the ship at anytime if their suspicion is warranted followed by searches if necessary.

To the OP... thanks for posting this inteersting article for others to see :D

Thank You for posting that!

Ignorance of the Laws is no excuse and Posting the Ruling shows how the Law works and cautions criminals or the maybe criminals to not do the criminal acts!

Having knowledge before others do in the Cruise Industry helps everyone keep abreast.

If criminals did not do crimes and get caught then there would be no such reason to uphold, defend and enforce the laws written...eh....

I'm no criminal (the length of some of my posts may be) it was interesting reading and I appreciate the OP sharing it with us. You never when that information might come in handy.

I guess it was posted as an article of interest to all cruisers. I found it very interesting but know I have nothing to worry about.

The thing that struck me weired is they do check the passenger list, hmm.

There has been some talk about that on the boards, now it's been proven.

Good article, thanks for posting.

Thanks for posting the information. I found it very interesting and I for one do not want illegal drugs on a ship that I am on. If it stops one idiot than it was worth the time you took to post it.

Thanks again:D

No offence meant, but what's your point in posting this.......

I always do google news searches for "Carnival Cruise" if I find a story of interest I post it.

Actually the Agents often do random searches, there have been several posts about that over the years. So this has the potential to affect all cruisers.

A random search I could understand; but, because of a previous conviction? Can we start using this reasoning to search the houses of all convicted criminals once per week? If we did this to houses, the ACLU and many others would be in an uproar. I understand it is a cruiseship and not a house; but what is next; a rented appartment, a rented house?

A random search I could understand; but, because of a previous conviction? Can we start using this reasoning to search the houses of all convicted criminals once per week? If we did this to houses, the ACLU and many others would be in an uproar. I understand it is a cruiseship and not a house; but what is next; a rented appartment, a rented house?

This is a border search not a search of your house where a different standard applies..This is not "new" its the law it has always been the law. Customs searches can be conducted without any basis whatsoever. It can't be used as a basis for a search of a house, apartment rented owned etc...That requires reasonable cause and a search warrant except in certain circumstances and a random search would clearly be illegal under any circumstances of your abode..Its different than a stop of a car which can be done in some random way as its not a home search.

I'm no criminal (the length of some of my posts may be) it was interesting reading and I appreciate the OP sharing it with us. You never when that information might come in handy.

It would only come in handy if you are doing something illegal. Was this information helping you for future reference? :eek:

When we were on NCL Dawn in Jan. we saw Immigration, Customs, DEA agents and their dogs boarding in St. Thomas. They came to our deck and busted 5 cabins just down the hall from us. (marijuana) One by one these passengers left the ship; zero tolerance.

A random search I could understand; but, because of a previous conviction?

I have to agree with you. I find it quite alarming:cool:

And no people I have no previous convictions:rolleyes: I bet if they were to find nothing they would have said it was random:rolleyes:

Read the ruling again, the court upheld the right for Customs Agents to search cabins for any reason, or no reason at all.

They singled this druggie out based on his prior proven behavior, big deal. I'm just wondering why California voters think a second drug conviction only merits probation.

Yes if you move it into the US across the border.:D

I always do google news searches for "Carnival Cruise" if I find a story of interest I post it.

Actually the Agents often do random searches, there have been several posts about that over the years. So this has the potential to affect all cruisers.

Thank you for your response. Living here in Tampa it has made the news several times (since most ships out of here do western Caribbean) that customs snags people buying what are considered legal drugs in Mexico. Here in the US though they are perscription drugs. The amount they buy raises a red flag. Guess somehow someone reports it.;)

Everything from painkillers to those little blue pills........:eek:

Archived