Luggage Decorating

ladybug97

Ok...I try realllly hard to buy off color or designed luggage (my luggage now is polka dot!!!) BUT just to get some ideas, what are some of the things you have done to decorate your bags to make them easier to spot at the airport or when picking them up at the cruise terminal? I know you guys will be able to give me some good ones!! ;)

I mark my bags with neon shoelaces. They come in Lime Green, Orange, or Hot Pink. They are extra wide and I just slip them through the handle double and tie a big double knot in them. They don't fray because you didn't cut them. I use matching color for each person.

You can only find them in the CHILDREN'S section at Walmart, as far as I know.

I mark my bags with neon shoelaces. They come in Lime Green, Orange, or Hot Pink. They are extra wide and I just slip them through the handle double and tie a big double knot in them. They don't fray because you didn't cut them. I use matching color for each person.

You can only find them in the CHILDREN'S section at Walmart, as far as I know.

Grat idea.....that is on my list for my next shopping trip!

Thanks....neighbor! ;)

I've tied that ugly gold curling Christmas ribbon to all the handles of every piece of luggage I own. It's quite visible, and it's so ugly, no one else would use it! Works like a charm! And the stuff is almost impossible to break--requires scissors, so it won't "rip" off!

I took some fabric paint and wrote our last name across the entire suit case. Never have a problem finding them and nobody mistakes them for theirs either. Might not work so well if you have a name like Smith or Jones!

I took some fabric paint and wrote our last name across the entire suit case. Never have a problem finding them and nobody mistakes them for theirs either. Might not work so well if you have a name like Smith or Jones!

That's a great idea. Glad my name is not Smith anymore. :)

I use fabric paint to paint giant (and I mean giant) flowers all over our luggage, front and back. I'm no artist. My designs are pretty bad.

Believe it or not, DH has seen people actually picking up our luggage at the airport and at the disembrakation cruise port to see if they were theirs.

Like I'm thinking, what part of very bad art don't you understand?

Perhaps I'm a better artist than I thought. Just might start selling my suitcase flower art.:eek:

Dianne

I buy strips of the reflective tape on eBay. Comes in white as well as colors. Generally the stirps are 4x8 inches. I cut them in smaller strips and stick on the sides and top of the luggage. It sticks well enough to the soft sided luggage to last through 3 or 4 cruises. Really makes it easy to find our luggage as the tapes really "glow". Once in Boston, we couldn't find our garment bag and almost gave up looking as we didn't want to miss our flight. I started looking away from the lines of luggage and saw our bag several hundred feet away up against the wall, all by itself. (Apparently it was put in the wrong line). It was practically calling to us across the dark warehouse!!

I had a lot of yarn left from my Girl Scout leader days, in many different colors. So I took some different colors and braided them together and looped them through the handles of our luggage. Very strong, and very easy to spot.

We have bright/dark orange plastic "GET OUT OF HELL FREE" cards attached to the handles. If you see eggplant/aubergine/purple bags with orange cards (bigger than luggage tags), it's mine!

I like the reflective tape idea! Might give that a try, too.

We have bright/dark orange plastic "GET OUT OF HELL FREE" cards attached to the handles. If you see eggplant/aubergine/purple bags with orange cards (bigger than luggage tags), it's mine!

I like the reflective tape idea! Might give that a try, too.

I LOVE it!! That is too funny! The reflective tape is too a great idea! See..I knew I would get all sorts of all new ideas :D

We use florescent pink or green luggage straps that we put across our luggages - easy to spot and also, gives more support to our bursting out of the seams luggages.... Plus, huge luggage taps that are also very bright and neon colors -- Corkey

Currently, we have wide strips of red plaid fabric tied to the handles of our luggage. It seems to work well.

Once, I even let the kids go to town on our (previous) suitcases with stickers. We have a giant Rubbermaid bin full of thousands of stickers--everything from "freebie" address labels to SpongeBob to smiley faces. The kids had a great time decorating our hard-sided luggage with those stickers. It was a crazy mess, but it definitely was distinguishable.

CeleBrat

I use those colored nylon mesh bath sponge things. They come in two sizes: small & large.

I use the small size, "color coordinated" to match our luggage. My new luggage is royal blue, so I choose plain "white" sponges for mine and a "tan" color for my husband's Docker's brown luggage. They are easy to attach to the top handles by folding the sponge thru the nylon rope to which it is attached.

The sponges come in every color of the rainbow and really

stand out in the crowd of luggage. And, you can't break the sponge! Or, the rope with which it is attached!

When I've wanted to change colors, I've had to cut them off. Since they only cost about a $1.00/each that's no big deal.

At the airport and at cruise check-in, people are always commenting on what a "great idea".

Works for us! Just thought I would share.

Bon Voyage to all!

Ok...I try realllly hard to buy off color or designed luggage (my luggage now is polka dot!!!) BUT just to get some ideas, what are some of the things you have done to decorate your bags to make them easier to spot at the airport or when picking them up at the cruise terminal? I know you guys will be able to give me some good ones!! ;)

I have used bathtub stickers from menards that are fish shapes! They stick well to the luggage, and are waterproof! They really show up in the airport and everyone always comments on them!

i learned the hard way! the first year my husband and i thought we were being smart tying red ribbon to the handles... and apparently so did everyone else at the airport with black luggage!

last year i went to wal-mart and picked up some neon orange duct tape and wrapped the handles with it.. there was NO mistaking our luggage this year! we found it fast and it sticks great!

There are some very creative ideas posted here.

On my old 'black' luggage I had used duct tape and made my initials on it. Very Big.....it was easy to spot. or you could put a word that means something to you..........a friend of mine put UR2N0Z (got some chuckles at the airport)

I now have new luggage (not black), and I like the idea of the nylon sponges.

Joyce

• 2 weeks later...

I use a business card, with a picture for my luggage tag - so people can see who the person to whom it belongs...once, I had someone in baggage

handler draw a moustache and goatee....I also, attachee another luggage

tag that says, "Sailing from the Port of Barcelona, Oct 13, 2008, aboard

the Legend of the Seas, Royal Caribbean Cruise Line" or something to that

effect. That way, should it go astray, the bag doesn't get rerouted to my

home airport.

I often send crew gift boxes, etc...in which case, I scan my ship baggage

tag, put the same message about the sailing, scan my business card,

and attach them to the boxes.

The airport ground crew tell me that is a fabulous idea.

Archived