One day in NY

tootsie7

We will be in NY 1 day before our cruise the end of September and would lke to find a good tour of the city. We have looked at the double decker HOHO buses but are concerned about the weather. We would like to find a tour in an enclosed vehicle (minibus) that we could start early and finish in time for us to get to the Amer Museum of Natural History before they close at 5:45. We are probably trying to get too much into one day but I would appreciate any suggestions.

We will be in NY 1 day before our cruise the end of September and would lke to find a good tour of the city. We have looked at the double decker HOHO buses but are concerned about the weather. We would like to find a tour in an enclosed vehicle (minibus) that we could start early and finish in time for us to get to the Amer Museum of Natural History before they close at 5:45. We are probably trying to get too much into one day but I would appreciate any suggestions.

Hi I will be in NY only for one day also.. Have never been to NY

before. I found this tour that I am looking at booking!

http://www.onboardnewyorktours.com/?gclid=CKXg6-L8_ZsCFSRPagod-VnI_A

We have looked at that one too and probably will be using that company. I think we decided to take the 5 1/2 hr tour and then walk up to Rockefeller Center late afternoon. We will just try to do the Amer History Museum on Sat morning before we go to the ship. This is our first time in NY also and just want to see everything we possibly can. What cruise are you going on? We are doing the Caribbean Princess on 9/26.

Hi I will be in NY only for one day also.. Have never been to NY

before. I found this tour that I am looking at booking!

http://www.onboardnewyorktours.com/?gclid=CKXg6-L8_ZsCFSRPagod-VnI_A

We used Onboard in June precruise and had a great experience. We went on the "See the Lights" tour the evening we got there and then the day tour the next day so got a discount for taking 2 tours with them. Easy to find them and saw LOTS in a short time.

We are flying in one day early for our October cruise and staying for two days after the cruise. We will be arriving around 5 pm the day before our cruise and will take that time to walk around Time Square and check out the area. We are staying at the same hotel after the cruise. Like you, we have been scouring the boards and trying to get as much information as possible. I have been to New York before but 3 others in my group have not, so trying to cram in as much as possible in the two days we have is a challenge. I am going to talk to the people at my hotel when we arrive and see if they have any recommendations. Most likely, on Saturday after we get off the ship we will do some type of tour, possibly a hop on hop off. The plan on Sunday is to sleep in (a little) have a nice breakfast and then walk over to the TKTS booth in Time Square and get cheap theatre tickets for that day (possibly half off) and then a nice dinner. Have not used Onboard before but because of this thread, will look at their web site.

I still swear by this tour as the best of the best. http://www.grayline.com/Grayline/destinations/us/newyork.go?mode=activityDetail&apid=2444&sid=529

Gives you PREPAID tickets to ESB which means no waiting in line (which can be extraordinarily long). Top of the Rock, WTC, harbor cruise which is VERY good and gets you right in front of the Statue for great photo ops. Downtown loop HoHo bus. All in one neat, prepaid package. Do this tour on your own time frame-get on and off the bus as many times as you like. Take the cruise when you want. Look around as much as you want between stops. Visit the ESB at night, which as 138east pointed out-FANTASTIC views.

I looked at the HOHO tour but a little concerned about the weather (rain) so I liked the idea of the enclosed vans. I plan on booking the On Board New York 5 1/2 tour probably next week. We hope to get back from that and then walk to Top of the Rock for sunset. I have heard that is a better view than the Empire State Building. We should have a good view of the State of Liberty as we sail out of the harbor on Saturday. I also looked at All New York Tours and they had a good tour too, but it was a little longer. I called their office and from the information I got there was more driving than actually stopping at some spots. Too much to see and do and not enough time.

I would like to point out that you are coming to one of the great vertical cities of the world, and that the view from a mini-van (especially for those in the dreaded middle seat) is going to be mostly horizontal. Take the HOHO; it's a much better view, and the upper level is often roofed over in really bad weather (and late September could very well be gloriously warm and sunny here).

We hope to get back from that and then walk to Top of the Rock for sunset. I have heard that is a better view than the Empire State Building. QUOTE]

You get a nice view of the ESB from Top of the Rock, but the "view" from the EBS is better at night since a lot of the north view from Top of the Rock is the dark Central Park.

We did the Grayline HOHO. There are guys selling tickets on nearly every corner. And you can sit downstairs if its raining

I agree.....we did one and it was fabulous, uncomplicated and if weather is bad there's always down on the inside of the bus....but if the weather is beautiful, which it was the day we went, the picture opportunities are far better on the top of the bus. We loved it!

You can get one of the double decker bus tour that take you past all the landmarks/sites in NYC. There are several, that operate on several loops around the city and into Brooklyn. Some offer hop on hop off options. Ground Zero (Twin Tower Site), the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Bldg, Intrepid Sea Museum and ofcourse Time Square should be the highlights.

The Museum of Natural History is all-day event, I live in the area even I couldn't bare to drag myself out of the museum in less then 3 hours. So if you are set on visiting the museum do that first because if you try to go before closing spending $25 to just run around the museum quickly wouldn't be worth the money imo. Also the cruises on the Hudson are really nice and a great way to see the city skyline.

I looked at the HOHO tour but a little concerned about the weather (rain) so I liked the idea of the enclosed vans. quote]

I have never taken a HOHO bus tour here but have often noticed that when it is raining the people on the upper deck are all wearing matching clear plastic ponchos, which I assume the guide hands out when needed, so even rain need not spoil your tour! Enjoy your visit to NYC, whatever you decide.

Yesterday, post-cruise, we spent 7 hours with Bill Goodhart - thestreetteacher.com

He picked us up at Cape Liberty, drove to Manhattan and parked the car.

We walked, took subways & buses, listened, engaged in conversation & had a wonderful day.

We packed as much as possible into those 7 hours - Washington Heights, Harlem, Central Park West, Central Park, Park Avenue, Gramercy Park, Union Sq Market, Brooklyn Bridge, Stone Street, Battery Park, Staten Island Ferry - architectural points of interest, people watching, food, and lots more .....

Perfect!

Thank you Regina and Kevin! It was a wonderful day, and almost everything worked out perfectly. (It was just the recalcitrant Number 1 train that didn't work for us!) Thank you also for your kind remarks on this board.

One thing Cruising people like yourselves, and tourists in general, shouldn't forget - we tour guides enjoy taking you around nearly as much as you may enjoy the tour!

At the end of the day, I hope everyone can say: Life is Good!

Bill

We used Onboard in June precruise and had a great experience. We went on the "See the Lights" tour the evening we got there and then the day tour the next day so got a discount for taking 2 tours with them. Easy to find them and saw LOTS in a short time.

We only have one to tour NYC also. We booked OnBoard day and night tours pre-cruise in October. I've read several good reviews (and a few bad ones) but we like the idea of the guide going with us the whole time since we've never been to NYC before. We considered the HOHO bus but I read several reviews about long lines at some of the stops and full buses. I agree about the vertical view of the city but decided to go with OnBoard. Hopefully we made the right decision. :)

Hi!

I've basically the same questions!

I'll be in NYC for one day and a half in November.

I've booked the On Board evening tour "Lights of NY..." and I'm hesitating whether I should book the day tour too or not.

It would be great to have some feedback till then;)

Toonye

We booked both Onboard tours - they see different parts of the city and you get a discount. We enjoyed both - highly recommended if you only have a short time in the city (we were there the day before our cruise to Bermuda too) and want to see lots in that time.

We did the 'deluxe' day tour that takes a private water taxi out to see the Statue of Liberty. It cost a little more but with the discount for doing the 2 tours it wasn't any more money.

We were glad we were in a covered bus because it was raining at the end of the tour - no fun to be outside then. Also, it was summer so we enjoyed the ac in the bus. We got out enough to see the vertical sights.

We booked both Onboard tours - they see different parts of the city and you get a discount. We enjoyed both - highly recommended if you only have a short time in the city (we were there the day before our cruise to Bermuda too) and want to see lots in that time.

We did the 'deluxe' day tour that takes a private water taxi out to see the Statue of Liberty. It cost a little more but with the discount for doing the 2 tours it wasn't any more money.

We were glad we were in a covered bus because it was raining at the end of the tour - no fun to be outside then. Also, it was summer so we enjoyed the ac in the bus. We got out enough to see the vertical sights.

FYI...The Premium day tour does not operate during the week. I tried to book it for a Wednesday and I was told they only do the premium tour on the weekends. Booked the other day tour and the Lights nighttime tour.

Archived