Grandeur of the Seas Question

TonyaJune

Anyone recently off the Grandeur? Thinking about doing a 5 night to Bermuda on September 19th and just want to know the condition of the ship. Also, how's the service, food, entertainment. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

We've been on Grandeur each year for the past three years, and are booked on the Sept. 19 Bermuda cruise. We love the Grandeur. Staff is friendly and accommodating, ship is in very good condition considering her age, and we thought the food was just fine. Come and join us - and if you do post on the roll call thread we have started.

We were on Grandeur from Aug. 13 - 22, for the New England/Canada cruise. We had a wonderful time. I have a review published for that cruise:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=57365.

The ship is beautiful. We found the staff friendly and very good at their jobs. The food was okay to good. We were traveling with our children, and they enjoyed Adventure Ocean. Our only disappointment was a lack of child friendly food at the Windjammer at dinner time. Not a problem, mind you, just a disappointment. There was plenty of food available at other locations to make up for it.

I can't really comment on the entertainment, as we only went to one of the evening shows. The music in the Centrum was always very good. The movies showing in the theater were good, several different types during our cruise.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!

I highly recommend the Grandeur.

We did the 5 day Bermuda in July and had a great time. The ship is older, but it's well maintained. It also rides very smooth. We went to most of the shows and they were very good. We are empty nesters so we really enjoyed the adults only pool area. And the food, was okay. Truthfully, the best food we ever had was our first two years cruising on Carnival (05 and 06), after that, they all have apparently gone downhill somewhat. Food was okay on this trip, some things better than others. We only ate in the Windjammer on boarding and for a couple of snacks and it was just okay.

Thanks for all of your responses. If we decide to take this cruise it will be our 22nd on RCCL. We usually cruise on voyager/freedom class ships and I'm just a little worried that we might be a little disappointed with the size/amenities of the Grandeur. But it's such a great deal and we wouldn't have to fly, so I'm very tempted to book it.

We are also on the Sept. 19th cruise. It will be our 5th cruise on Grandeur, 25th cruise overall. We did two on her last year. We've been on some of the big ships but really do prefer Grandeur over most of them. She's a comfortable ship with a terrific captain and crew.

Off the Grandeur on 8/13 cruise.

Baltimore was *wonderful*. One and one half hour drive, right off of I-95, easy easy parking directed every step of the way. The easiest on and off ever. Then again, one of our cruisers was in a wheelchair and we were in suites, so we were the first on. But we've done that out of other ports, still not as easy.

My previous cruise was with the Explorer. I thought I might miss the bigger rooms, the bigger spas, concierge lounge, whatever. Not so! There was actually more to do for me on the Grandeur. (I am a trivia nut, and the trivia was much better.)

I also wondered why everyone talked about the staff. How much difference could that make? They are right: I loved our cabin attendant AND the cabin attendant for the rooms down the hall. How often do you even meet the cabin attendant for the rooms down the hall? (Anthony and Anderson are the best on the high seas, IMHO)

Have a great cruise,

el henry

Thanks for all of your responses. If we decide to take this cruise it will be our 22nd on RCCL. We usually cruise on voyager/freedom class ships and I'm just a little worried that we might be a little disappointed with the size/amenities of the Grandeur. But it's such a great deal and we wouldn't have to fly, so I'm very tempted to book it.

We sailed Freedom in April and Grandeur on July 30th. We loved both cruises. I admit that we missed a few things from the larger ship (notably the food choices in the promenade and a specialty restaurant) but the pluses far out weigh the negatives. Driving inseatd of flying was so much better than I imagined- no worrying about needing a second bag, no flight delays or airport hassles, sleeping in my own bed the night before. The smaller size of the ship led to seeing many of the same people over and over again - we made friends among both crew and fellow passengers - I also ran into my teenager with her new friends a lot more. There was a lot less contention for public space - other than seats for Karaoke I could always find a seat in the Windjammer and by the pool on sea days with a little looking (I was shocked!); I think fewer people also made it easier to get on and off the ship in ports. Until I sailed I Grandeur, I did not understand how everyone could keep talking about her fabulous crew - I will say the crew was fabulous.

I was on Grandeur to Bermuda in July and was very impressed. The ship does not have all the features of the newer, larger RCI ships but that seems to drive the crew even harder to do an excellent job. The ship is nicely laid out and well maintained. Everyone I spoke with seemed to be enjoying the cruise.

We are just off the Grandeur today after a 9 day Carribean cruise. I will echo what everyone else has said - great ship! The staff was extra nice and I did not have to fight for a pool chair. I did miss the specialty restaurants and it would have been nice to have a concierge lounge since it was my first time in a suite but other than that it was great.

Off the Grandeur on 8/13 cruise.

Baltimore was *wonderful*. One and one half hour drive, right off of I-95, easy easy parking directed every step of the way. The easiest on and off ever. Then again, one of our cruisers was in a wheelchair and we were in suites, so we were the first on. But we've done that out of other ports, still not as easy.

My previous cruise was with the Explorer. I thought I might miss the bigger rooms, the bigger spas, concierge lounge, whatever. Not so! There was actually more to do for me on the Grandeur. (I am a trivia nut, and the trivia was much better.)

I also wondered why everyone talked about the staff. How much difference could that make? They are right: I loved our cabin attendant AND the cabin attendant for the rooms down the hall. How often do you even meet the cabin attendant for the rooms down the hall? (Anthony and Anderson are the best on the high seas, IMHO)

Have a great cruise,

el henry

Just got off the Grandeur yesterday. Also met Anderson, he was not our cabin attendant, but had a great time with him. He was alot of fun. The last day, he got word they are sending him to the Oasis. He will be a loft attendant

We've also had the opportunity to get to know room attendants on another floor. We'll occasionally walk on deck 8 to go to the Windjammer if we don't want to walk outside (to windy, etc). At night we get the opportunity to meet the room attendants. We've had some of them welcome us back by name on our next cruise, even though they've never officially been our room attendant. They are amazing.

Archived