Is Concierge Class really worth it?

OrangeKitty

I would love some extra information and opinions...

Thanks! :)

I think it is only worth it on M class ships because their CC cabins are 21 square feet larger than regular balcony cabins and the aft CC cabins also have huge balconies.

However, I wouldn't pay extra for a concierge class cabin on either a C class or Solstice class ships because the cabins are the same size as regular balcony cabins. On those ships I would either book a regular balcony cabin or a suite.

I would also like more information on this. I booked a Aft CC on Mill. for Alaska. I didn't realize the cabins were bigger. We are trying to decide if we should put our son in with us or get him his own cabin.

If you book a separate cabin for your son you will have to pay the single supplement so it will be like paying for two additional adults. Have you looked into a family cabin on Millennium which is larger and has a partition to provide privacy.

BTW - I noticed that you live in Hamden, CT. Have you ever booked a cruise through the discount cruise agency in Hamden?

We have had a CC cabin on Summit once in the past, and will again in January.

I wouldn't pay a lot more for a CC cabin. Yes, it's great to have that extra space on the balcony, the pillow menu and the bottle of sparkling wine at sail away ... but I don't think it's worth hundreds of dollars more.

Some people don't mind paying considerably more because of the heightened service level and other perks, but then we're happy with an oceanview so only upgrade to CC if the price is right!

If you book a separate cabin for your son you will have to pay the single supplement so it will be like paying for two additional adults. Have you looked into a family cabin on Millennium which is larger and has a partition to provide privacy.

BTW - I noticed that you live in Hamden, CT. Have you ever booked a cruise through the discount cruise agency in Hamden?

Yes, we know it is much more expensive. An inside right now is 1,400.00. Only 6 or 7 if he's with us. I had a FV on hold last week thinking we would take a grandson then changed our minds. You need at least 4 to book it. Unless we get lucky later.

Didn't know there was a discount agency in Hamden. This Celebrity (our first) I booked on line through Celebrity. All our others I used an online agency.

There is no "right" answer to that question.

Some people think anything more expensive than the cheapest inside room is silly, since outside the room you get the same cruise experience. Some people don't think twice about sailing in one of the premium suites as the cost difference is meaningless to them. The answer will be different for everyone as we all have different priorities and are in different financial situations.

Personally, we almost always book a Concierge Class room as they tend to be in the better locations and on the M Class ships they are a little larger. The amenities are nice and a definite plus, but not necessarily worth the price difference alone - you can often buy flowers and champagne in your room for less than the price difference.

My advice: choose as nice a room as you can easily afford. By that I mean if choosing a room means that you'll forgo other things on a cruise such as excursions, drinks at the bar, wine at dinner, shopping at port, or even a spa visit, then take the less expensive room. If the price of the nicer room means your outlook for these additional expenses won't change, then take the nicer room.

Cage Keeper: As for your son - if you can afford it, and he is old enough, get him a seperate room. There are also some adjoining rooms on the ship. That way you'll have some privacy and won't be in each other's way all through the cruise nor waiting for the bathroom. Personally, if cost was an issue I'd take 2 less expensive rooms, even giving up a balcony, rather than go for one nicer room. You might even let him bring a friend along since you'll be paying for two in the second room anyways.

:) We had a Conciege Class cabin on the Celebrity Summit for our Panama

Canal cruise in 2007. The little extras --- flowers, bottle of wine, canapes

each afternoon about 4, some little gifts in the room, -- were very nice and made us feel rather special. ;)

However, when we booked -- the CC cabin was offered at only $ 50 more

per person --- so we took it. If I was looking at a considerable increase

in the cruise fare just to have those little extras --- then no, I would pass. Personally, we have fallen in love with "hump cabins" -- so I would

rather put my DH's money towards getting that location, instead. :cool:

We mainly liked the CC because of the extended breakfast room service menu. There were many more choices and as we had breakfast in our room most days this certainly proved good for us.

Is there a limit to what you can order? Would they bring coffee and pastries for family shareing our balcony?

Yes, we know it is much more expensive. An inside right now is 1,400.00. Only 6 or 7 if he's with us. I had a FV on hold last week thinking we would take a grandson then changed our minds. You need at least 4 to book it. Unless we get lucky later.

Didn't know there was a discount agency in Hamden. This Celebrity (our first) I booked on line through Celebrity. All our others I used an online agency.

I also prefer booking our cruises directly through Celebrity because having complete control of my reservation and an immediate response to any questions that arise are more important to me than saving a few dollars.

I've never been on Celebrity, but have 2 upcoming cruises booked, both in Concierge Class. Why? For us it is mainly the balcony and location were superior to other verandah cabins, and also I like the idea of perks, but mainly the balcony.

Cruises we've taken with big balconies have always been special. Worth the money.

Is there a limit to what you can order? Would they bring coffee and pastries for family shareing our balcony?

You order on a sheet just like normal room service and you put the number of each thing you want - I suppose you could have any number of things within reason. It really was a treat!!

We haven't felt that the extra cost of a CC cabin was worth the extra cost on the Celebrity cruises we've taken/booked. That's two on Galaxy and a forthcoming cruise on Solstice (all of them 10/11 nights ex-Civitavecchia). On Galaxy we had OV cabins both times, while on Solstice we've gone for a 2b balcony cabin on Sunset deck. For us, those cabins have hit our 'sweet spot' in terms of the price and what we get. But I can well understand that others might put their own sweet spot somewhere different from ours; so (as someone else said) either there's no right answer to this question, or everyone's answer is right, for them.

On my sailing of the Equinox the CC class is actually $300 LESS than the 1A Veranda Room.

After checking availability (on Tripadvisor) it appears that there is only one 1A Veranda Suite and tons of Aqua Class and CC suites left. So, Celebrity is adjusting the price down for those Classes.

Ironically the price for the 1A has gone up $400/pp since I booked, so I'm still ahead by keeping my original booking.

In my view, on M class ships, Concierge Class is worth it for the larger room and the room service breakfast menu. $50-100/pp max. You also get an extra cruise credit toward your Captain's Club total. Priority tendering was not handled well on our Millennium cruise, so I don't know if that's worth it or not. We did no tendering on our Mercury cruise, so can't speak to that.

So far, have always sailed Concierge Class because the price was right and the benefits were worth it to me. But it is definitely an individual decision. Depends on what you value. I've become accustomed to that lovely breakfast on my veranda and would find it hard to give that up. But if Celebrity started charging a LOT more for these rooms, I'd learn to have breakfast elsewhere.

LSimon hit it on the head when he wrote:

There is no "right" answer to that question.

We booked the Solstice in a c/c cabin at a great rate back in March. The extra "amenities" are nice, but not worth paying a lot of bucks for.

But how much more? Changing from an veranda to a c/c, I'd agree $50-100 for a weeks cruise sounds about right. Makes it a per diem of $7-14.

We booked a 14 night transatlantic for 11/28/09. Originally booked a low outside at $909 p/p/. A couple of months back =X= posted a great c/c rate of $1049 p/p. $140 difference . . . . . we jumped on it. We were going from an regular outside to a c/c veranda for a difference of $10 per diem. IMO, it was a no brainer.

If you are comfortable paying the increased fare, go for it. If not, don't.

Thanks for all of the answers! :)

I was also wondering if there are robes in the regular balcony rooms (not concierge class)...does anyone know?

In the past they have had robes in all rooms, although nicer terrycloth robes in CC and Suites and thinner "waffle" fabric robes in other cabins. I've read some reports that lately some rooms don't automatically have robes, but that you can always get them on request.

Archived