Coming back to O

boom_boom

Do others agree with this? If so, I don't care what the price is, I would never sail with HAL.

On several of the main lines (HAL, Princess, RCI, Celebrity etc.), they inform you that all food is brought onboard at one time and then taken any remaining is taken off at the end of the cruise. I believe that is done for quality control on the 7 night and shorter cruises. No need to ever worry if the food is fresh or aged. They know it came on at the start of the cruise.

I am sure there are a few exceptions but I bet it is true for 99 per cent of the items. It's a totally different supply model feeding 3000 passengers vs. 700 or so. Most ports can't supply ships that size without lots of planning and special shipping.

Longer cruises would have to have different arrangements.

Went on 14N HAL Carib. this Winter, great itin. 1st HAL cruise. I noted nothing was ever loaded on ship in 10 ports. No fresh food! No mangoes, papayas, or anything tropical in dining. Most foods were frozen. Also, menus reminded me of Midwest in 1950s. Meat/potato/ veg every night. Same with Pinacle Grill A very sterile atmosphere prevailed.

Do others agree with this? If so, I don't care what the price is, I would never sail with HAL.
If you check out the HAL Forum you’ll find diverse opinions about HAL food, written by posters with significant experience on many HAL ships. It’s always interesting to read varying comments about the same food on the same ship on the same sailing. So much is driven by individual palate & expectations.

In response to the info that has been posted here, I can only offer our perspective, formed from sailing on 20 HAL cruises. HAL delivers a very good premium product on-board its ships. There are several dining venues & styles, each offering interesting menus & considerable selection. Sometimes (but not often enough IMHO) there are regionally-inspired offerings. It’s been our experience that HAL does a particularly good job of fish & seafood, pastas & soups. HAL also offers multiple choices for breakfast & lunch, as well as daily afternoon teas & dessert extravaganzas. It’s grossly unfair & untrue to label HAL as meat/potato/veg every nite.

And as I posted earlier in this thread, HAL does indeed reprovision in different ports throughout any cruise. I have personally watched crates of fresh produce being loaded onto the ship several times.

Now having said all that, we've noticed that HAL has cut back on the quality of its food & menu selections lately. That was part of our decision to try another cruiseline. We’re very much looking forward to trying the “finest cuisine at sea” with Oceania.

Archived