Coming back to O

boom_boom

After 3 cruises with O, we decided that a great price on Holland America was worth the work of changing brands. Wrong!

HAL is a fine cruise line and we were on one of their mid-size ships (Zaandam) and in a Deluxe Verandah Suite... but, with the sole exception of an simply outstanding Neptune Lounge concierge, HAL just didn't live up to the standards we've come to expect through O.

It's in details. In four tries the kitchen couldn't produce a medium rare steak, we're in Alaska and they can't do salmon right consitently, the wine stewards had to be told to bring you a wine list BEFORE asking if you want a glass of wine with dinner, the white wine was way too cold (I swear I saw ice crystals in one bottle of Sav. Blanc), even more than O, there were extra charges for everything. long lines for security at embarkation, and more.

Our next cruise will be on Oceania or Regent, no more of those mass market lines for us! :cool:

We agree, O is better than HAL and the other mass market lines. However, we continue to cruise on HAL as well as O. Why? Expectations. You get what you pay for. That being said, we have one Celebrity booked, one HAL booked and three Oceania cruises booked. O will always be our favorite.

Agree with JJEFFJB, it is ALL about your expectations. We have sailed 3 times Regent and1x Silversea, but we have also sailed 1x Princess, 1x Disney, 2x Celebrity and 4x Royal Carib. We have enjoyed every one because we do not expect Silversea service at RCCL prices! We are now booked for our first O cruise in July 2010 and can not wait to experience O. Our expectations are that the food, service and amenities will be somewhere between Celebrity and Regent as that is where the price point landed.

-----------------

Helen

Agree with JJEFFJB, it is ALL about your expectations. We have sailed 3 times Regent and1x Silversea, but we have also sailed 1x Princess, 1x Disney, 2x Celebrity and 4x Royal Carib. We have enjoyed every one because we do not expect Silversea service at RCCL prices! We are now booked for our first O cruise in July 2010 and can not wait to experience O. Our expectations are that the food, service and amenities will be somewhere between Celebrity and Regent as that is where the price point landed.

-----------------

Helen

Although I haven't been on Oceania I have been on Silversea & Regent. From what I've read here I'm expecting the food & service on O to be comparable with the other two. What I don't expect is free excursions, alcohol & tips included.

Went on 14N HAL Carib. this Winter, great itin. 1st HAL cruise. I noted nothing was ever loaded on ship in 10 ports. No fresh food! No mangoes, papayas, or anything tropical in dining. Most foods were frozen. Also, menus reminded me of Midwest in 1950s. Meat/potato/ veg every night. Same with Pinacle Grill A very sterile atmosphere prevailed.

We just returned yesterday from our first HAL cruise in 10 years.The food quality seemed fine, but the preparations lacked both skill and imagination. The lines in the Lido for breakfast were daunting and I've learned patience skills I didn't realize I possessed waiting for each item served. Cabin service was prompt and every bit as good as O. But the lines, the lines, everywhere for everything. You still get what you pay for. We.re definitely looking forward to our next O cruises in Oct and Feb. A little more money, but the quality is worth it.

We’ve sailed HAL exclusively since ’92 & have enjoyed it very much. We are Medallion Mariners with hundreds of days on HAL smaller “S” and “R” class ships (1380 pax) and Prinsendam (793 pax). But the quality of our on-board experience has diminished over the years. When faced with the challenges of cost pressures & declining economies, HAL chose to lower prices. And with lower prices came a gradual erosion of the on-board product which showed up in reduced staffing & service, substituted menu items & abandoning traditions.

So over the last year, we began to seriously look at other cruise lines. This was a first for us. We were seeking what HAL used to offer & we think we’ve found it in Oceania. Based on everything we’ve read, Oceania seems better than HAL at delivering a premium cruise experience at a reasonable price. We’ll find out soon when we sail Regatta later this year. And just to cover our bets, we’re also sailing on Azamara Journey shortly after that. It’s exciting to broaden our cruise horizons & be able to do a first-hand comparison of the lines.

But even if we are blown away by Oceania or Azamara, we'll likely continue to sail HAL at least occasionally. Not only do we have FCDs with them, but they offer some itineraries that are very appealing to us. When we sail HAL again, we’ll simply adjust our expectations.

And for the record: HAL does indeed bring fresh supplies/produce on-aboard throughout the cruise. But alas, I agree that the selection of fresh fruits is dismal. Another thing we’re eagerly anticipating with Oceania.:):)

We have been fortunate to sail on may deluxe lines and one or two, NCL & Costa, not so deluxe!!

Our experiences on 4 "O" cruises have been exceptionally good with absolutely no problems except for a weight gain which wasn't their fault!!

When we looked for our 2010 cruise we searched and searched the "O" brochures and could not find anything to suit us either in destination or longevity.

Browsing the internet one day I came upon Silversea Lines. A line consistently rated #1 by the luxury cruise-going public. I was aware of the popularity of this line with its small ships and most varied POC's but had stayed away because of their very high per diem fares.

What really amazed me was, when I started my investigations of 2010 destinations, because of a 60% discount on their published fares, the exclusivity of beverages, wines and gratuities and a much larger suite, their fares were over 30% less than "O" offerings. (ie, $390 per diem vs $580 on "O" A1 verandah ) This is comparing a 10 days "O" with a 26 day "SS." Plus complimentary air, transfers and a generous OBC!

I realize that we live in a competitive era but this difference in fares on, what I would at this time call two similar experiences, is immense!

You bring back fond memories of the SA cruise on Insignia in '07!

Have only been on SS once - a while back - am amazed at the difference in fares - the economy is forcing some strange consequences.

We leave next month for a 3 week B2B on the Regent PG.

Stay well.

Ted

DWelsh-

It's one of those sad ironies of life that people who don't really need the money are also the ones who can always get a loan.

It is also true that the per diems on cruises of over three weeks tend to be much lower than those of under two weeks.

It has something to do with the pool of prospective passengers being so much smaller for the longer cruises.

Many of the working poor (as I like to refer to us) would never be able to pull off a three week stint out of the office before we retire.....and of course, by the time you add in travel time to and from the ship, and pre and post cruise stays, you're likely looking at a full month away :eek:

Hi! Ted:

Nice to hear from you again. That was a great cruise on Insignia, wasn't it?

How did you enjoy the SS experience? I understand that it is fabulous and we are very excited to be doing that itinerary again. The S. Pacific has always been one of our favorite stomping grounds. (Also cruising grounds!)

StanandJim

I am one of the very fortunate people who worked hard, retired early and have enjoyed the joys of cruising for many years. I hope the same happens for you guys who are probably very young anyway?????

David.

We have been fortunate to sail on may deluxe lines and one or two, NCL & Costa, not so deluxe!!

Our experiences on 4 "O" cruises have been exceptionally good with absolutely no problems except for a weight gain which wasn't their fault!!

When we looked for our 2010 cruise we searched and searched the "O" brochures and could not find anything to suit us either in destination or longevity.

Browsing the internet one day I came upon Silversea Lines. A line consistently rated #1 by the luxury cruise-going public. I was aware of the popularity of this line with its small ships and most varied POC's but had stayed away because of their very high per diem fares.

What really amazed me was, when I started my investigations of 2010 destinations, because of a 60% discount on their published fares, the exclusivity of beverages, wines and gratuities and a much larger suite, their fares were over 30% less than "O" offerings. (ie, $390 per diem vs $580 on "O" A1 verandah ) This is comparing a 10 days "O" with a 26 day "SS." Plus complimentary air, transfers and a generous OBC!

I realize that we live in a competitive era but this difference in fares on, what I would at this time call two similar experiences, is immense!

In my book there is no comparison between Silversea and Oceania - they are in different categories.

If I didn't mind the formal nights and had the means, I would only cruise with Silversea (I have not been on Seabourne).

Alas, I do mind the formal nights and don't have the means to cruise exclusively with Silversea. But for special itineraries and good deals I would chose them over O in a heart beat.

I do like Oceania a lot, but they are not in Silversea's class (or price).

IMO Silversea offers a far superior cruising experience to O in every respect.

"I do like Oceania a lot, but they are not in Silversea's class (or price)."

The reason for my original post was to compare the lower prices being offered by SS vs O in 2010. Having not yet had the pleasure of enjoying SS I can only relate to the wonderful service, comfort, food and ambiance of O.

DW

"I do like Oceania a lot, but they are not in Silversea's class (or price)."

The reason for my original post was to compare the lower prices being offered by SS vs O in 2010. Having not yet had the pleasure of enjoying SS I can only relate to the wonderful service, comfort, food and ambiance of O.

DW

Ultimately only you can be the judge as we all have different criteria, expectations, needs, priorities, etc.

Why not try Silversea (especially if they are priced right) and decide for yourself which one you prefer?

If you do, please let us know what you think.

Ultimately only you can be the judge as we all have different criteria, expectations, needs, priorities, etc.

Why not try Silversea (especially if they are priced right) and decide for yourself which one you prefer?

If you do, please let us know what you think.

I have already booked LA - LA via Tahiti in 2/10. I know we will "have a ball." It is always good to have a positive attitude and when expectations are met, the desire to repeat is strong. Regardless of the comparison between O and SS, whichever has the right itinerary for me, will get my business.

I have already booked LA - LA via Tahiti in 2/10. I know we will "have a ball." It is always good to have a positive attitude and when expectations are met, the desire to repeat is strong. Regardless of the comparison between O and SS, whichever has the right itinerary for me, will get my business.

I am sure you will enjoy your cruise.

Have a great trip!

We booked the 14 day Barcelona to Amsterdam cruise next June, in a concierge level cabin. Have not sailed on Oceania but I looked for months and months for port intensive cruises to Spain/western France. I liked the Vineyards and Vistas itinerary but my spouse could not get off work at that time. There were some very good prices on Seabourn, but too many "at sea" days in most of the itineraries that travelled to our desired ports.

Have sailed multiple times on Windstar, which we absolutely love! Have cruised on river barge in France, Cruise West yacht in California, and Amadeus river cruise in Europe, and we liked them all, but Windstar holds a special place in our heart. Also tried Holland American Westerdam to Alaska inside passage, which we disliked intensely. Big, impersonal, busy, felt like cattle being managed in a pen. The size of the ship makes all the difference to us in terms of the experience. Since Oceania Insignia is larger than we'd prefer, but smaller than many other lines, we hope to have a good experience.

I'd appreciate any thoughts from others who have sailed on other cruise lines about the type of experience we can expect on Oceania in the concierge veranda suite, the shipboard environment, the "feel" of the ship compared to bigger and smaller boats. Thank you--

After 3 cruises with O, we decided that a great price on Holland America was worth the work of changing brands. Wrong!

HAL is a fine cruise line and we were on one of their mid-size ships (Zaandam) and in a Deluxe Verandah Suite... but, with the sole exception of an simply outstanding Neptune Lounge concierge, HAL just didn't live up to the standards we've come to expect through O.

It's in details. In four tries the kitchen couldn't produce a medium rare steak, we're in Alaska and they can't do salmon right consitently, the wine stewards had to be told to bring you a wine list BEFORE asking if you want a glass of wine with dinner, the white wine was way too cold (I swear I saw ice crystals in one bottle of Sav. Blanc), even more than O, there were extra charges for everything. long lines for security at embarkation, and more.

Our next cruise will be on Oceania or Regent, no more of those mass market lines for us! :cool:

I think you do HAL a bit of an injustice to pay much less and expect the same??

But I do agree O is great and hope you will enjoy your next cruise.

Went on 14N HAL Carib. this Winter, great itin. 1st HAL cruise. I noted nothing was ever loaded on ship in 10 ports. No fresh food! No mangoes, papayas, or anything tropical in dining. Most foods were frozen. Also, menus reminded me of Midwest in 1950s. Meat/potato/ veg every night. Same with Pinacle Grill A very sterile atmosphere prevailed.

Do others agree with this? If so, I don't care what the price is, I would never sail with HAL.

Archived