12-day Brilliance Med cruise review

HMSDingy

Just got back from our Med cruise and here follows a review. I must add that this is our second cruise with RCI.

BARCELONA

DW and I flew into Barcelona for a 2 day pre-cruise stay. We flew Air France Montreal to Paris and onwards to Barcelona. We stayed at the Continental after reading reviews from past guests. I will say that it is right in the middle of Las Ramblas and very pink & plastic. There is also the 24 hour buffet. I will admit we did not take advantage of the buffet only the draft beer as it was hot & humid in Barcelona. For a short pre-cruise stay the hotel is fine but there are nicer and fancier hotels along Las Ramblas. The cab fare from the airport cost us 25 euros and I added a 5 euro tip. The ride was pleasant and we had a lady driver who gave us a mini history of Barcelona on our way to the hotel. She did warn us about the pick pockets but I will come to that at the end of my review. Las Ramblas did not impress us and we wandered around the city trying to take in as many sights as possible. The cab fare from the hotel to the port cost me 17 euros and again I added a 5 euro tip. Our bags (3) were taken into the terminal by a porter at a cost of 5 euros. For the return, you can save the 5 euros and bring in your luggage yourself. If this is physically possible, of course.

SHIP

Embarkation was a breeze. We, pardon the pun, sailed through. I am neither a ship engineer nor a builder, but from what I could tell the ship appeared to be in excellent condition, clean and well kept throughout. Our cabin was well laid out with one minor complaint. If one of us was in the bathroom and the other at the closet, we had to yell out a warning before opening the bathroom door to avoid a collision. We had My Time Dining and ate in the same section every evening with the same waiter (Maurice) and assistant (Junelle). Both were professional and attentive to our needs. The food for the most part was good to very good with a very good selection of wines. We were not too impressed with Portofino. We ate all our breakfasts in the Windjammer and lunch was split between the Windjammer, Seaview Cafe and the Solarium. I found that there were many selections at all 3 venues and question when someone says that the food on the RCI ships is "inedible" with few and repetitive selections. I will agree that there are the same selections everyday but one would have to have all 20 each day to find them boring. There was a buffet served on deck 11 for the "white night" and a BBQ towards the end of the cruise.

Cannes

I have been following the thread started by Hitner regarding "on your own" excursions and decided to take the challenge. We were tendered in Cannes and walked to the train station where we boarded a train to Nice at a cost of 24 euros return for the 2 of us. We toured Nice for a while and had a nice lunch at one of the cafes and returned to Cannes where we stopped for a beer and some people watching.

Livorno

At the port in Livorno, we shared a cab with some fellow pax at a cost of 20 euros per car for the drive to the train station. The train ticket to Firenze cost us 26.40 for the 2 of us return. After touring Firenze for a while we stopped at a cafe and had sandwiches and beers for a cost of 20 euros. We again shared a cab back to the ship from the train station. All told both cabs cost us 10 euros. A tip. There are 2 stations for Firenze. You must get off the Firenze S.M.N. We got off at the station before and had to take a bus to the next station at a cost of 1.70 euros apiece. No problem; just another adventure.

Civitavecchia

There is a free shuttle from the ship to the port entrance and a short 10 minute walk to the train station where we purchased the BIRG ticket at 9 euros apiece. We got off at San Pietro, visited the Vatican and walked up the street to Castel Sant' Angelo and then took the subway to Piazza Venezia. Rome is beautiful and we even climbed 551 steps to the top of the dome of St. Peter's in 30 C or 90 F! We had lunch at a cafe down the street from the Fountain of Trevi.

Naples

Once in port we walked from the ship to the ferry station and took the hydrofoil to Capri at a cost of 16 euro each. We decided against the grotto and walked around touring the town and sights. We found the shops in Capri to be very expensive and geared towards a different crowd of "beautiful" people as was witnessed by the 15 euros we spent for an espresso and capuccino so we decided to grab another hydrofoil to Sorrento at a cost of 13 euro apiece. Sorrento was more down to earth with great shops and "affordable" restaurants. Our ride back to the cruise port cost us 11 euro each.

Venice

Ah Venice...what more can I say. We walked from the ship to the Piazza Roma terminal where we purchased 24-hour vaporetto tickets at 18 euro each. We sent the day just walking in awe of the beauty of this city. We had supper at a restaurant called KORI just off Piazza San Marco. The food was excellent followed with some of the best espresso. We splurged here and it cost us 70 euros including tip for entrees, main course, dessert, coffee and a bottle of wine. All told not that expensive for what we ate. We got back to ship around midnight. The next day was spent shopping in Murano and looking for masks as the first formal night was a masquerade party onboard. We got some great mask at one of the shops for 30 euros each which we intent to hang on our walls.

Dubrovnik

We decided to take the ship's shuttle at 10 euros only finding out later that the cabs cost 10 euros per car which we could of shared. DW found the shuttle service to be disorganized and confusion ensued. In Dubrovnik we toured the wall at 50 euros each. The sights were beautiful but the walk difficult as it was extremely hot that day. By chance we found a pastry shop that sold slices of pizza and prosciutto sandwiches. I found a small market where I bought some water and beer and we had our sandwiches on the steps of a church nearby followed by more touring, a coffee break, ice cream and back to the shuttle stop.

Corfu

We had decided beforehand that this would be our "beach" stop. Having left the port we walked for a bit and found that the nearest beach was Dassia. We took a cab at a cost of 30 euros to the beach where we paid 8 euros for 2 beach chairs and an umbrella. The water was marvelous. We ate Greek food at a restaurant directly on the beach and later found that a bus ride back to the center of the city would cost us 1.30 euros each!! We learn through experience and our mistakes.

Entertainment

The cruise director was Gordon Whatman (I think this was his last name) and his assistant, Cuddy. These 2 made it all worthwhile and a great time was had by all. We found the shows and guest entertainers to be very good

Sorry for going on and on but we really enjoyed this cruise with a few minor exceptions. And as promised, I have to comment on the pick pockets I was warned about. We did not see or have any experience with pick pockets in any of the ports of call including Barcelona. That's not to say that the problem does not exist, just use common sense when touring.

Great review. We did this cruise in June and in Corfu after the shuttle bus dropped us off in town, we asked a local where to catch the bus to Dassia Beach. It was at a plaza nearby and so we hopped the Metro to the beach and got chairs in front of that Hotel where the RCI excursion went. The food at the beach restaurant was great (buffet style) and had the best watermelon I'd ever tasted.

Great review - we're doing the same cruise in a few weeks time.

"Sorrento was more down to earth with great shops and "affordable" restaurants. Our ride back to the cruise port cost us 11 euro each."

Was that another hydrofoil - we might do that instead of capri

jj......

And as promised, I have to comment on the pick pockets I was warned about. We did not see or have any experience with pick pockets in any of the ports of call including Barcelona.

Well if you had seen them, that would mean that they were not very good. And they are gooooood.....

Sue we had the Continental booked last December. When we arrived they told us they were overbooked:mad: I was really annoyed as they had our email and phone number but had not contacted us. They apologised profusely and said they had reserved a room for us at the sister hotel Continental Palacette.

They paid for a cab to take us there which took all of 3 minutes! The hotel is also in Las Ramblas but above Plaza Catalunya. We thought it a much better position. The hotel was delightful and we had a HUGE suite for the price of a regular room. The staff were most helpful, the buffet a great success although we only used it for breakfast, wine (a lot;)) and little snacks as we ate our main meals "on the go". There was free internet which was great. I would really recommend this hotel if you can get a good price, there are much "swankier" hotels in Barcelona but we loved the Palacette and would go back. Oh, it's also a bit pink;)

Sue

Hi HMSDingy,

Thank you for your review. We're also from MTL and we will be on the BOTS on October 1st (the "other" med cruise including Greece). I have a few questions you might be able to answer.

1) What is easy to find a cab at the port of Livorno?

2) In Sorrento, is the walk from the pier to the city (piazza Tasso) easy? How long does it take? Did you see any taxi at the pier? We want to do Capri - Sorrento - Pompei in 1 day, so we have to be quick!

3) Was the white night on a sea day?

4) Was the clientele following the dress code?

5) Was the clientele mostly european?

BTW, we were in Barcelona this past spring after our transat on the Summit, and we got hit by a pick-pocket! They are very good.... We are always very careful, but I guess, not enough!!! We exactly know who did it and when we realized my DH's money was gone, it was too late. It's afterward that you figure it out...

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Thanks for the review. Our family is planning the Med with similar itinerary in June '11. I have been a bit nervous reading about pickpockets and such and all the horror stories. I'm glad that you didn't have any bad experiences. Hopefully it will be the same for us.

My sister and I did a 12 day Mediterranean cruise on Brilliance in March/April (our first). Gordon was the cruise director and we watched his show every night, and again in the morning, haha.

Obviously I can't compared him to other cruise directors, but I imagine it takes a lot to keep people entertained for 12 days.

As far as pickpockets, in Barcelona, several people were pickpocketed getting on the Tourist Bus. At the Park Guell stop, there was a large crowd pushing to get on the bus and they walked by and grabbed some wallets.

I usually keep some money in my pocket, and some in my bag. If someone is really determined to get their hand in there, at least they're not getting everything.

Dubrovnik

We decided to take the ship's shuttle at 10 euros only finding out later that the cabs cost 10 euros per car which we could of shared. DW found the shuttle service to be disorganized and confusion ensued. In Dubrovnik we toured the wall at 50 euros each. The sights were beautiful but the walk difficult as it was extremely hot that day. By chance we found a pastry shop that sold slices of pizza and prosciutto sandwiches. I found a small market where I bought some water and beer and we had our sandwiches on the steps of a church nearby followed by more touring, a coffee break, ice cream and back to the shuttle stop.

Great review that brought back memories. I'd like to try the beach the next time we are in Corfu. We did the palace tours the last trip.

Are the bold highlighted figures a typo? I hope so! ;)

Last summer, we paid around 2 euro per person for a shuttle stationed outside the pier, when we were on our HAL cruise. However, they were not HAL shuttles as they belonged to the city of Dubrovnik, and ran round trip most of the day. On the way back to the ship, the shuttles were crowded, so we paid 8 euro ) 2 euro tip for a cab - 3 people.

50 euro to climb the wall! :eek: Someone sure pulled your leg. I can't remember the exact amount that we paid last summer, but it wasn't anything near that. No way I'd pay that to "take a walk" even though it was most enjoyable and beautiful. Was it 5 euro?

50 euro to climb the wall! :eek: Someone sure pulled your leg. I can't remember the exact amount that we paid last summer, but it wasn't anything near that. No way I'd pay that to "take a walk" even though it was most enjoyable and beautiful. Was it 5 euro?

Goodness, I hope it was 5€.

OP, Thanks for a great review!

Surely can't be 50 euro :eek:. Local currency for Dubrovnik is Kuna so perhaps 50 Kuna? I was there in April and climbed the wall but can't remember how much it was. I do know it's nowhere near 50 euro because i'm too stingy to pay that :o

OP, I enjoyed reading your review.

I do have one question though: are 24-hour vaporetta tickets in Venice available for sale to all, or is this something that can only be bought when you "buy" it beforehand online?

Thanks!

We bought our tickets once off the ship and not online. The ticket prices and durations are listed at the ticket window.

Hi HMSDingy,

Thank you for your review. We're also from MTL and we will be on the BOTS on October 1st (the "other" med cruise including Greece). I have a few questions you might be able to answer.

1) What is easy to find a cab at the port of Livorno?

2) In Sorrento, is the walk from the pier to the city (piazza Tasso) easy? How long does it take? Did you see any taxi at the pier? We want to do Capri - Sorrento - Pompei in 1 day, so we have to be quick!

3) Was the white night on a sea day?

4) Was the clientele following the dress code?

5) Was the clientele mostly european?

BTW, we were in Barcelona this past spring after our transat on the Summit, and we got hit by a pick-pocket! They are very good.... We are always very careful, but I guess, not enough!!! We exactly know who did it and when we realized my DH's money was gone, it was too late. It's afterward that you figure it out...

Thank you in advance for your answers.

1)yes

2)if you like to climb stairs, its about 10 minutes

3)no, we were in Corfu

4)I'd say a good 75%

5)mostly English & Spanish

Great review - we're doing the same cruise in a few weeks time.

"Sorrento was more down to earth with great shops and "affordable" restaurants. Our ride back to the cruise port cost us 11 euro each."

Was that another hydrofoil - we might do that instead of capri

jj......

There are several hydrofoils at the naples port..including a direct to Sorrento ( about 45 min if i remember correctly). We spent 5 days in Sorrento last summer...just a beautiful place. The walk up to town from the ferry terminal can be a bit strenuous...LOTS of stairs if you go straight up the hill.....but you can also follow the winding road to the right with less grade into a great section of town with cobblestoned streets, shops, gelato/pizza and LEMONCELLO..try the cream version..YUM

If you chance the stairs at the very top, once you make the climb across the street is restaurant fauno..great people watching spot with a complementary shot of lemoncello with the check...i did become obsessed with lemoncello on this vacation:)

There are several hydrofoils at the naples port..including a direct to Sorrento ( about 45 min if i remember correctly). We spent 5 days in Sorrento last summer...just a beautiful place. The walk up to town from the ferry terminal can be a bit strenuous...LOTS of stairs if you go straight up the hill.....but you can also follow the winding road to the right with less grade into a great section of town with cobblestoned streets, shops, gelato/pizza and LEMONCELLO..try the cream version..YUM

If you chance the stairs at the very top, once you make the climb across the street is restaurant fauno..great people watching spot with a complementary shot of lemoncello with the check...i did become obsessed with lemoncello on this vacation:)

It's LIMONCELLO and pronounced "leemonchello" and originated in Naples.

Thank you

jj......

My sister and I did a 12 day Mediterranean cruise on Brilliance in March/April (our first). Gordon was the cruise director and we watched his show every night, and again in the morning, haha.

Obviously I can't compared him to other cruise directors, but I imagine it takes a lot to keep people entertained for 12 days.

As far as pickpockets, in Barcelona, several people were pickpocketed getting on the Tourist Bus. At the Park Guell stop, there was a large crowd pushing to get on the bus and they walked by and grabbed some wallets.

I usually keep some money in my pocket, and some in my bag. If someone is really determined to get their hand in there, at least they're not getting everything.

On one of our trips to Barcelona, we were in a bakery and a woman put her hand in my husband's front pocket. He said something to her and she acted like she was trying to point to the pastry she wanted.:( Anyway, we managed to get out of there with our money. I always put money in one of my front pockets and then pin it with a safety pin. So far, it has worked. I rarely carry money in my bag when we are on these trips.

Archived