How can I get daily news on a cruise

jgirvine2

First, let me say thanks to the cruisers who suggested using outlook for quickly download and send emails while on a cruise. It sure cut down on my internet minutes.

I miss a daily newspapers. Does anyone know of a site one could have like daily headlines and short synopsis emailed to me daily? Then I could do the outlook thing and read it when not online.

Thanks

First, let me say thanks to the cruisers who suggested using outlook for quickly download and send emails while on a cruise. It sure cut down on my internet minutes.

I miss a daily newspapers. Does anyone know of a site one could have like daily headlines and short synopsis emailed to me daily? Then I could do the outlook thing and read it when not online.

Thanks

Why would you want to? :)

Up until this year, you could get a single-page news summary sheet every day. It was stopped as a cost cutting measure. Sorely missed, maybe it will be reinstituted some day.

Were they trying to eliminate the paper waste or did they completely get rid of the person who compiled the summary? Couldn't they stream the summary onto the TV, or post it in some places on the ships? While I like to really be away when I am away, it would be nice to know if something big happened in the world.

We'll have CNN on, or whatever news channel they have available in the a.m. while getting ready for the day. Same before going to dinner in the evening. That's enough news.

Rick and Deirdra

BF and I are news junkies, so we do this too. If you need to know what's going on, this should suffice. You can also get headlines e-mailed from the NYTimes and many local papers and TV stations.

Hi

I am a news junkie too. I go to the website of one of our local TV channels . They have everything of interest local and national. Takes only about 5 minutes of time. Well worth it to me. Especially when we are in the warmth and sunshine and our town gets buried in snow!

:)

if they were worried about paper waste, then they should first cut out those annoying inserts in the daily Compass.

The first thing we do when we get our daily Compass is trash all the inserts. Never have we been interested in gold by the inch or the art auction.

When you fill out your Set Sail pass on line, there should be one more question.

"Do you want the daily Compass with or without the inserts?" They could save a whole forest.

The good thing is, they do a great job of recycling.

Rick and Deirdra

I do understand your need to get at least the headlines while you're away- I recently spent a long weekend at a friend's house who doesn't have a TV, and by the time I got back I felt like I missed a ton. I also just check in with CNN at some point during the day, most likely when I'm getting dressed in the morning or getting ready for dinner (pretty much the only times I'm in the room).

Why would you want to? :)

My thoughts exactly. when I am on vacation, that's it. I don't need to know about all the negative junk, gossip, and BS going on. There will be plenty of time for it when the vacation is over. If it is something really worth knowing about, we'll find out anyway.

You could subscribe to an RSS feed in your browser. These can be read offline, and most news sites support RSS. If you don't know how to use this feature, just check your browser's help file...it explains how to subscribe to an RSS feed, and how to view them offline.

Last poster was on the right track. Just google "RSS Reader" to find a reader or setup internet explorer to do it. You can download news articles similar to the way outlook downloads e-mails in one shot. All major new sources I can think of have a RSS feed you can pull from.

Up until this year, you could get a single-page news summary sheet every day. It was stopped as a cost cutting measure. Sorely missed, maybe it will be reinstituted some day.

I did enjoy that one page "mini paper"... DW thought it was "cute", since I am a former paper boy, I like to go back to my roots. :eek:

Archived