scooter owners i need help

evgal/nj

Can you tell me who makes the Golden Companion II? It sounds like it might be a model that DH could use, especially since it breaks apart. We don't own one now, but we should. So far we've just rented for cruises.

If you type Golden Companion II into a search engine (I use google) you'll come up with several sites that have them for sale. This appears to be the "home page":

http://www.easymobilityco.com/golden_mobility_scooters.htm

The posted weight limit on the Travelscoot is 320lbs. There is a group of supersize women that are using this scooter with great success, the largest of whom is reportedly 450lbs.

There is a blog is about the TravelScoot: http://mytravelscoot.blogspot.com/

and is chock full of tips, experiences and pictures. The lady who writes it is extraordinarily helpful with answering questions. The website for the TravelScoot is http://www.TravelScoot.com

I have had MS since 1981, am 54 and just have graduated from a cane to the TravelScoot. I simply love it. I can break it down within a minute and put it easily in the trunk of my Honda Accord Hybrid BY MYSELF!!:cool:

Happy shopping,

Marlee

Can you tell me who makes the Golden Companion II? It sounds like it might be a model that DH could use, especially since it breaks apart. We don't own one now, but we should. So far we've just rented for cruises.

Golden Technologies makes the Golden Companion II . Though this model breaks down to fit into a trunk, Goldlen does not classify it as one of their "Compact Travel Models" . The Companion II for 350 lbs weight capacity weighs a total of 164 lbs with the battery. So each piece is going to be quite heavy. You're husband may not be able to help you lift it into the trunk , so you need to consider what you can manage. You might need a trunk lift installed to manage it. The base of this scooter is 24" so it probably won't fit throught the door of a standard cruise cabin.

Link to website http://www.goldentech.com/ride/companion/index.php

Link to Owners Manuel http://www.goldentech.com/pdf/products/companion_manual.pdf

Travelscoot

I considered this as it's certainly leightweight and very easy to transport. I too have MS but am unable to use the Travelscooter as need a flat foot bed which the Travelscoot does not have. My foot would slip off the post that's provided for the rider in lieu of a flat foot bed. If this is workable for your husband , the maker now provides a bigger seat . You need to call Travelscoot directly regarding the bigger seat as it's not posted on their webisite.

Link to website http: http://www.travelscoot.com/

It's by Golden -- 3 wheeler -- the II after Companion II (350 lbs. limit) makes it heavier -- the next model is Avenger -- too big for cruises. We always rented too. Then one day, I googled mobility scooters and I was on my way. Most give free shipping - you can figure how to put it together yourself. The 3-wheel Golden Companion II has a weight limit of 350 lbs. which is unusual - goes for many miles without a charge (25) -- has a good clearance, foam tires, good turning radius, no sound backing up (annoying), shuts off with a beep if you forget to shut it off, is very sturdy (cobblestones, unlevel areas, ramps, etc.), has bendable basket (for when you touch elevator back!!), good leg room with no raise (easy on and off), back up is 1/2 speed, goes in trunk in 3 parts - not too heavy. Love it!!!

I've had it 3 years with no battery change -- never a problem - stays in cold garage (NY) during winter - occasionally plug it in. Airlines take it - proper type of battery - however, don't separate to take in somewhere, but not a problem. Lucked out, but with Rich's guidance as to which one.

So, look at all the websites and then decide. Let us know what you think. There are many out there. Vicki:)

I also have MS. The travelscoot won't work for me as you have to have a good sense of balance, and be able to stand long enough to transfer into the relatively small seat. I can't do either.

All I'm suggesting is that it would be really helpful to find first a good physical therapist to be tested, who can tell you what kinds of equipment you're best suited for, before you just "go shopping". And barring that, find a store that has a lot of different kinds of mobility equipment available that you can "try out", before you buy. You can always leave the store and then shop on the internet (where you're likely to find stuff much cheapter than in a land-based store.)

found this site lots of personal reviews of scooters.

http://www.usatechguide.org/reviews.php?catid=330&o=3

great info on golden, i love the portability of the travelscoot,their both a little more than we wanted to spend.

doing research,with out first hand knowlege, its really hard to figure out what things are important. ie ground clearance, on board charging vs off board, turning radius, seat post attached to the front breakdown section or rear, gel vs acid sealed batteries, 12volt vs 18,

any thoughts from scooter users?

karen

found this site lots of personal reviews of scooters.

http://www.usatechguide.org/reviews.php?catid=330&o=3

great info on golden, i love the portability of the travelscoot,their both a little more than we wanted to spend.

doing research,with out first hand knowlege, its really hard to figure out what things are important. ie ground clearance, on board charging vs off board, turning radius, seat post attached to the front breakdown section or rear, gel vs acid sealed batteries, 12volt vs 18,

any thoughts from scooter users?

karen

All these questions are good , but none of us know your husband's physical needs nor the envirnment that the scooter is going to be used more regularly. We can only give general information regarding the scooter specifications. None of us can recommend anything for your husband as everyone's needs and physical ability varies. Not to mention finances. That's why it's so important to work with a good physical therapist that can properly access the situation for the end user . This equipment is too expensive to purchase the wrong thing.

Now I wish I had heard of the TravelScoot before I bought the GoGo. I could have handled the TravelScoot by myself but I cannot do the GoGo on my own. Darn

The GoGo easily breaks down and the heaviest piece is 28 lbs. If you can not lift that much weight you could try selling it on Craigslist and then purchase the TravelScoot.

i guess i'm asking general knowledge questions, i would love dh to see pt but he's not emotionally ready. he did pt after his open heart surgery & hip replacement but did not like it.

@ this point we're looking for a scooter to take on the cruise, use for mall, ect. he rides the atv or the tractor around the yard & neighborhood [we live in the country] no sidewalks. lol i think we're looking $600-800 range. it's just hard to make a choice with so many variables, ie battery voltage & type, charging in /out /both. ground clearance ranging form 1" to 3", i'm just not sure what things are important.what features do you all love in your scooters ?

thanks again for taking the time to help me.

karen

i guess i'm asking general knowledge questions, i would love dh to see pt but he's not emotionally ready. he did pt after his open heart surgery & hip replacement but did not like it.

@ this point we're looking for a scooter to take on the cruise, use for mall, ect. he rides the atv or the tractor around the yard & neighborhood [we live in the country] no sidewalks. lol i think we're looking $600-800 range. it's just hard to make a choice with so many variables, ie battery voltage & type, charging in /out /both. ground clearance ranging form 1" to 3", i'm just not sure what things are important.what features do you all love in your scooters ?

karen

I think ground clearance is important .. the higher the better, so he can more easily navigate ramps, threshholds, curbs, other impediments like that. While he may not use it around the house, a higher ground clearance would help there, too.

The sealed batteries are better and can be more easily transported on airplanes and such. The charging of the battery isn't so much of an issue so long as you have easy access to a plug. Climate can be an issue -- cold weather is hard on batteries, so if you live in a cold climate, you may want to either find a place to park the scooter inside, or bring the battery in, for charging.

The higher the voltage the more powerful the scooter, and the easier it will cilmb up ramps and other hills, and the longer the battery will last between charges.

The battery is a continuing cost. It'll eventually need replacing. So if your budget is tight, be sure to consider that as you shop too, particularly if you're looking at used equipment.

karen

The suggestion about going to a PT was not for physical therapy sessions ( which are always good ), PT 's are trained to do equipment evaluations. A good PT will help you to determine which options are best for your husband. Buying the wrong piece of mobility equipment can actually do more harm than good by stressing/overworking his muscles/nerves . Do with this suggestion as you see fit.

Ground clearance : The higher the better since you won't always know the type of threshold it will have to cross over. FYI- if there are no curb cutouts, travel/portable scooters will not clear a standard curb. So your DH will have to dismount so the scooter be pulled up over the cubr.

Off board charging versus Only on board charging

Off board allows more flexibility. In my case I live in a condo building. It's easier for me to just bring the battery up to my condo for charging. And leaving everything else in the car trunk ready to go.

Battery Voltage :

1. Determines the distance the scooter can go. But keep in mind manufacturers will only give an estimated distance. Actual distance varies depending on the weight of the rider, speed that's being used and terrain being driven on.

2. The battery voltage also depends on what the scooters max wieght laod capacity is. The higher the weight capacity the larger the battery size .

3. If you are considering a scooter that has the option for variable size batteries such as the Pride Go Go Elite Traveller. You have to also consider the difference in cost of the battery versus the amount of extra distrance the larger battery will provide. Also the weight difference between the 2 sizes since you will be loading this into a car trunk. When I purchased my Pride Go Go Elite traveler there was only a difference of 4-5 miltes between the 2 battery sizes and the cost differential was $175. Also the 12 AH battery weighs about 26 lbs where the 18AH batteries weigh 33 Lbs . Thus making the 12 AH batteries easier for me to load into my car.

Other things to be considered when purchasing a scooter

Use indoors and Outdoors - Since you live in the country and there are no sidewalks ,you have to consider if DH intends to use this outdoors . Scooters in the price range ($600-800 range.) are not intended for use on rough country terain. They can only be gently driven on fairly flat ground. Scooters to handle rough country terain are very costly and require a special lift van for transport.

3 wheels versus 4 wheels -

1. 4 wheels gives more stability for the rider and since you live in the country that might be a could thing. Also 4 wheel scooters generally allow a little more leg room for the rider. They also need a little more turning clearance.

2. 3 wheel scooters are lighter in weight and allow for a tighter turning clearnance. But you do have to be aware that if you make a fast turn they can easily tip. So just go slow on the curves/turns and DH won't have a problem.

How do you intend to transport the scooter ?

1. Are you able to assemble, disassemble the scooter, lift each piece and load into the car ? Or will you have assistance everytime you plan to transport it ? This is why we really recommend that you go to a medical suppliy retailer or mobility scooter retailer so you can check this out first hand. You don't have to purchase it from the retailer , you can always go onto the internet to shop. At least this way you would know what you are buying and can handle.

2. If the scooter breaks down into pieces for transport, than what is the heaviest piece and are you able to lift it ?

Variable seat height adjustment.

If DH is tall than you would want to make certain the seat has variable height settings. Nothing worse than seating in too low of seat and chewing your knee caps. Not to mention the strain if places on one's back. Especially having MS , incorrect seat height places more strain on his body when having to sit or get up.

Swivel Seat Option

This option makes it a lot easier to get on and off the scooter. This was important to me as I too have MS and it gives me more leverage for getting on/off the scooter with minimal stress to the muscles/nerves.

Width of scooter

If DH intends to use it in your house will the scooter if fit through the doorways and hallways?

thanks so much, i think tomorro we're going to a retailer for pride to test the go-go's. having trouble finding other brand dealers in my area. ive kind of narrowed it to the pride go-go's, invacare lynx, these both break down to managable wt, go-go 28lbs vs invacare 30lbs,

width: go-go 19.25 vs invacare 20",

ground clearance: go-go 2.65 vs invacare 4",

speed: go-go 4.25mph vs invacare 5mph,

weight:go-go 92lbs without the batteries vs invacare 80lbs,

both use 12 volt batteries but the go-go has an option to carry an extra battery.

thanks so much again, i'll keep you posted

karen

I just want to say word about the PT evaluation again. It isn't therapy, it is getting a recommendation of the product from someone who doesn't want to sell you something. You do pay for (or your insurance if applicable) the evaluation but it can save you a lot of money. I would have purchased a wheelchair instead of a scooter but have had a lot of trouble sitting in it given my specific problems. The PT let me know I needed a scooter and one with a twistable hydralic seat. I would never have figured that out on my own.

we rode the go-go yesterday & dh liked, it was very peppy! he was concerned about tipping it, well he really had to try to get it to tip so that was really reassuring. he was most comfortable riding in the slowest setting, we're thinking it would be safer to buy the go=go elite with the bigger battery, the dealer said if we buy the smaller one & buy a back up battery , if we forget to charge the back up battery & it goes dead it can't be charged ! i'd like to also have him ride another brand but havn't found a dealer yet.

thanks again for everyones input & patience.

karen & ed

we rode the go-go yesterday & dh liked, it was very peppy! he was concerned about tipping it, well he really had to try to get it to tip so that was really reassuring. he was most comfortable riding in the slowest setting, we're thinking it would be safer to buy the go=go elite with the bigger battery, the dealer said if we buy the smaller one & buy a back up battery , if we forget to charge the back up battery & it goes dead it can't be charged ! i'd like to also have him ride another brand but havn't found a dealer yet.

karen & ed

I love my pride go go elite! It has been on many cruises and is very reliable!!!!! Just my 2 cents!

we rode the go-go yesterday & dh liked, it was very peppy! he was concerned about tipping it, well he really had to try to get it to tip so that was really reassuring. he was most comfortable riding in the slowest setting, we're thinking it would be safer to buy the go=go elite with the bigger battery, the dealer said if we buy the smaller one & buy a back up battery , if we forget to charge the back up battery & it goes dead it can't be charged ! I'd like to also have him ride another brand but havn't found a dealer yet.

karen & ed

Glad to hear that you and DH have gone out to actually a try a scooter. It's always good to comparison shop. Hope you can find some others to check out.

Not that this means anything one way or the other, everytime I've ever rented a scooter from CareVacations for my cruises, it's always been a Pride Go Go Elite that's been delivered. That's one of the reasons I ended up purchasing a Pride Go Go Elite. That and the ablity to transport it without having to buy a lift.

Regarding the battery. Unless you are going to use the scooter daily , you have to ask yourself the question if you really need the additional expense of another battery ? If you are using the scooter daily , the battery should be recharged after every use. If the scooter is dormant for long periods, the battery has to be charged at least 1x per week for 14 hours. That's what Pride Customer service told me and it also states that in the owners manual. The scooter is always packed in my trunk and the battery is in the kitchen. This way it reminds me to recharge it. I'm getting in the habit of charging it the same of the week when it's not been in use.

I think buying the bigger battery makes sense, rather than getting a back-up battery that also needs to be charged.

Indeed you need to keep the battery charged. Regular users plug in the scooter every night. Otherwise, keep it near a plug in the house, and put it on your calendar to charge it at least weekly, for the 12 to 14 hours, or whatever your owner manual will suggest, so that it's ready to go when you are.

The GoGo easily breaks down and the heaviest piece is 28 lbs. If you can not lift that much weight you could try selling it on Craigslist and then purchase the TravelScoot.

The only thing I saw on their website about the TravelScoot is that it doesn't have a reverse, which is important to me. I cannot use my legs to scoot backwards, as it seems that what one needs to do with that product.

The only thing I saw on their website about the TravelScoot is that it doesn't have a reverse, which is important to me. I cannot use my legs to scoot backwards, as it seems that what one needs to do with that product.

Another lightweight portable scooter is the Lexus Light (also sold under other names such as Easy Light or Easy Travel do have a reverse. This scooter folds up like a baby carriage and fits into the trunk of most cars.

http://www.planetmobility.com/store/scooters/d-light-folding/index.html

I had a hard time deciding between the Travelscoot and the Lexus Light but finally decided the Travelscoot met my needs since I still have a good deal of mobility. A friend just received her Lexus Light last week.

I have a Lexis Light by Planet Mobility ( www.planetmobility.com) and love it! It weighs about 52 pounds, and fits in the trunk of ANY size car. You don't need a van, truck or semi to carry it and most importantly, you don't need a power lift! You can fold it up in less than three seconds and a pair of Interstate batteries will cost you less that $100. I've had mine about two years and have had absolutely no problems. I believe they list for about $1600 but you can buy a totally reconditioned one (with new 2 year warranty) for about $1200. I found mine (3 weeks old) on Ebay for $600 plus shipping.

You can even break the scooter down into three parts of less than 20 pound each.

Mail order sales only and Medicare won't do it. It's still a fantastic bargain though!

Karen, your name implies that you live in NJ. Which part? I live in North/central NJ and I've had a lot of experience with scooters and suppliers. I have a garage full of them! LOL

I agree with everything the previous posters have said. One of those scooters in my garage is a rascal 240 and I would never call it "easy to break down and put in a car trunk".

Kate

:) I see you have decided about purchasing a scooter for your DH. And with

his medical issues -- it definitely will be of use in the future.

However, have you considered doing your touring of Venice via private

guides - perhaps using a comfortable car or small mini-bus ? I know the

airlines will transport the scooter - free of charge - so you will have it

for use on the ship and in the hotel --- I just think this might be a less stressful way to see the sights. :cool:

hi sherrie,

However, have you considered doing your touring of Venice via private

guides - perhaps using a comfortable car or small mini-bus ? I know the

airlines will transport the scooter - free of charge - so you will have it

for use on the ship and in the hotel --- I just think this might be a less stressful way to see the sights. :cool: Yesterday 11:34 PMsherrie.

we were in venice last yr, used vaporettos around the city, they are the only transportation. using the boards here i was able to plan the trip to eleminate as many bridge crossings as possible, we contacted venice tourist office & they sent me a packet with wheelchair accessable routes, key for the bridge lifts ect.

we'll only be in venice 2 days this yr, i've decided to stay in mestre,& go into venice via train or bus. we're bringing the wheelchair also so the scooter will be only used in the airport, possibly the hotel & on the ship. we're choosing mestre b/c we'll have the scooter, wheelchair, 2 carryon's & 1-2 suitcases, not sure if we'll take bus or train from airport,{ last yr we took bus to p.roma with wheelchair & 2 suitcases & 2 carryons & was no problem } so guess it'll depend which hotel has airport to door public transportation. so far the plaza looks good.it located right in front of the train station. but i'd feel better using the bus. trying to avoid taxie fares lol. probably take taxie to the port.

i read a blog by someone who said she used her scooter [i think it was a lynx lightweight] all over venice, i find it hard to believe but maybe after we get scooter practice we'll be looking through more experienced eyes.

karen

Archived