SEC Championship Game

gatour

Is the SEC Football Championship game usually shown in Nassau on local tv? Here in the States it would be shown on one of the major networks (abc/cbs/nbc). Just in case it isn't on the ship's televisions, finding a sports bar on-island for my dad to watch the game if the Gators are in it.

Is the SEC Football Championship game usually shown in Nassau on local tv? Here in the States it would be shown on one of the major networks (abc/cbs/nbc). Just in case it isn't on the ship's televisions, finding a sports bar on-island for my dad to watch the game if the Gators are in it.

If you are on Carnival, it will be available on the ship.

(only ESPN games are not available, CBS, FOX, ABC and NBC are available in cabin and in the sportsbar)

They play cricket and soccer in the Bahamas.

Bill

Assume you said "if the Gators are in it" because you had a premonition about how passive they'd play against the Smokey Mountain Dental Institution? Like Urban said...any SEC win is a "great win"...time to get ready for the Kitty Kats. Anyway, on to your question.

We've sailed quite a bit during football season and it's kind of hit or miss on the ship. They seem to default to the "ESPN Family of Networks" (i.e. ABC/ESPN games) but we've been able to "negotiate" with the bartender to get the TV's turned to "real football" on a couple of cruises (who wants to watch some meaningless PAC-10 game or the ACC championship??). Last year we got to watch the last bit of the 2nd quarter and the entire 2nd half of the UF-Bammer game...in '06 we had to suffer with periodic updates and the scrolling scores (think they were showing USC-UCLA) for the Gators and Hogs. I'd suggest you talk up the bartenders in the public areas with TV's and ask them to share the Saturday sports lineup. Some of the bartenders are more flexible than others but don't let that deter you. One cruise a USC fan (Gamecock not Trojan) complained to guest relations and the channel got changed about five minutes later.

As a back-up, Senor Frogs always has all of the college games on...at least they did during the afternoon....assume the TV's still work at night?? Depending on when your ship departs, you might not be able to stay 'til the game is over though.

Keep the faith....In Tim we trust!

Andy

"who wants to watch some meaningless PAC-10 game or the ACC championship??"

Why, a loyal Va Tech Hokie, that's who! A cruise out of Baltimore would most certainly be full of Hokies!!

C'mon, don't hate ;-)

Kinda figured that comment might get a response or two. I can certainly understand how fans of a particular (participating) school would want to watch the ACC Championship (especially Hokie fans since you've been in 3 of the 4 games) but based on attendance at the championship games (except for the first year when an unranked FSU played) that's about the extent of the interest. In fact, IMHO, the only way that game is going to draw any national interest is if: 1) One of the teams is in the mix for the BCS Championship or 2) FSU and/or Miami are playing in it.

For the casual sports fans, what do you think they'd choose?

'05 UR FSU vs #5 Va Tech or #13 UGA vs #3 LSU

'06 #23 GaTech vs #12 Wake or #4 UF vs #8 Arkansas

'07 #6 VaTech vs #12 BC or #5 LSU vs #14 UT

'08 #27 VaTech vs #18 BC or #2 UF vs #1 Bama

'07 was a toss-up (based on total ranking) but other than that year it's a no-brainer.

Good luck against the Canes this week....guess we'll find out how good Miami's offense really is this week against Bud's crew.

Andy

Im tellin ya it is the Big Ten Network all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean. You do not want to watch meaningless SEC match ups when you can watch such exciting B 10 football do ya ?

Come on get on the bandwagon.

Thanks for the invite, but I'll hang with my Gators. The Big11 network might be big in the Bahamas and Caribbean but they won't be showing any football on December 5th. Silly Big11 rules prohibit you guys from playing after the week prior to Thanksgiving.

To the OP...Senor Frog's satellite dishes bounce off the same birds as sports bars in the SE US. if there's football on, they'll have it.

Andy

A couple years ago we were in Nassau when it was the Florida vs Georgia game. The ship did not show it(so many mad cruisers!), so we all went to Senor Frog's and watched it. We had so much fun, but it was an expensive afternoon(pricey drinks and food). I'm pretty sure you will be able to see the game at SF.

I'll be on Monarch this weekend and am hoping the ship will have the Gator game. Since it is on ESPN2, I might have a chance.

If you are on Carnival, it will be available on the ship.

(only ESPN games are not available, CBS, FOX, ABC and NBC are available in cabin and in the sportsbar)

They play cricket and soccer in the Bahamas.

Bill

Thanks for the info, we will be on Carnival.

Blue Darter I also like the information on Senor Frogs. Could make for an interesting afternoon.

And TennisFL, as a long time gator fan (and graduate), I have learned not expect anything. Consider my original comment as a sacrifice to the jinx gods. :)

Archived