Hop on / hop off bus

cjcruiser27

This is probably somewhere in the threads..can someone tell me how long is the ride if you get on the bus and stay on the bus until you make a full loop around to all the sites and just get off where you began? Thanks in advance!

Here are two sites to check:

http://www.barcelonabusturistic.cat/web/guest/home

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/barcelona-city-tour-bus.html

I would allow two hours for each route (red, blue). There is a green route but it may not be running depending on when you are there.

When we did this, traffic moved very well all over the city. We were impressed with how well the bus navigated without traffic jams.

we were in barcelona ,o6, did all the routes in one day with a wheelchair, never had to wait longer than 5 min for the next bus. we only got off 3or4 times that day, then went back the next day to do a more hop off tour, it was our ist time in europe, 1st hop on off & totally loved it.we stayed on las ramablus @ hotel contential great location for the hop on off's, you'll love barcelonia!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
There is another company offering HoHo-Services:

2009NVOTS50409-vi.jpg

http://www.barcelonatours.es/web_eng/index.html

Regards,

HeinBloed

Is one preferable to the other, for some reason? Because this company offers a senior (65+) discount and an online booking discount, so if all other things are equal, that is a nice savings for people who are able to use it. You can also skip the ticket office, and exchange your vouchers on the bus, which you can't do with the other company.

Thanks for the link to their website. :)

It also looks like "Barcelona City Tours" HOHO goes clear to the entrance to Park Guell, which is also an advantage.

Anybody know if there is any reason *not* to book this company over Bus Turistic??

We used Bus Turistic... and waited 20 minutes for a bus... then one came... goes to WTC and need to be replaced due to a break-down... they did not put us into 3 buses which passed us while we were waiting for the substitute.

During the 20 minutes waittime there were few Barcelona City Tours drivers waving us because we were not allowed to board them with our tickets.

We were only upset because the Tourist Information did not tell us that there are three companies and only recommends Bus Turistic and sell their tickets.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I am confused, which tour has the best routes, which tour is the least expensive, and which runs the most frequently? Also is one day enough or would 2 be beneficial?

All help appreciated.

The HOHO is good if all you want to do is see Barcelona from the bus. But if you want to get off and tour some of the sites you are much better off using taxis and the Metro. The HOHO will cost about 38 euros for 2 people for one day, 48 euros for two days. The average taxi fare in town is about 6 euros and a 10 trip Metro pass is 6.65. Or you can buy the Barcelona Card www.barcelonacard.com discount pass.

Besides cost you can waste a lot of time on the HOHO. They run counterclockwise, and we found that the next place that we wanted to tour might take an hour or more by HOHO or was at a previous stop, so we just walked or took a cab.

I am confused, which tour has the best routes, which tour is the least expensive, and which runs the most frequently? Also is one day enough or would 2 be beneficial?

All help appreciated.

From what I've figured out:

BUS TURISTIC:

http://www.barcelonabusturistic.cat/web/guest;jsessionid=A1BEE0C8AFC8C66753D1C9C373EE7FFF

--44 stops over 3 routes, with one of the routes being eliminated in winter

--One-day pass: 21 Euros for adults, 18.90 Euros online, no senior rate

--Red and blue routes run vaguely counterclockwise, and has crossovers at P.Catalunya and P. Espanya

--Tickets are available at airport T2, P.Catalunya and a couple other places and pre-purchased vouchers can only be exchanged there

--First departures: between 9 and 9:30 a.m. (ends 7 pm) from any stop Frequency: between 5 and 25 minutes, depending on the season. See timetables posted at the stops.

--Stop for Parc Guell is a few blocks below the park with a pretty good uphill hike

BARCELONA CITY TOURS

http://www.barcelonatours.es/web_eng/barcelona_city_tour_ruta_este.html

--30 stops over 2 routes, with one of the routes shortening just a bit during winter

--One-day pass: 21 Euros for adults, 18.90 Euros online, 15.3 Euros for Seniors

--Orange route runs vaguely clockwise, green counterclockwise and has crossovers at P. Catalunya and P. Espanya

--Tickets can be purchased or vouchers exchanged on the bus at any stop, allowing you to start your tour anywhere.

--Not sure of the departure and ending times

--The map shows they go to the entrance of Parc Guell

So, unless someone has had some negative experience with City Tours, I'm thinking that is the better choice.....

I too am trying to do comparisons with different companies.

Actually I've found a good deal on the bus turistic using cashback sites in the UK and that brings the price down to a couple of £'s below the city sightseeing bus, so price isn't really the issue. I am also able, according to the information I have received, able to use my voucher to board at any stop.

I'll then plan my visits in the order of stops of the bus we choose.

One criteria though will be the proximity to Parc Guell. Is it certain the bus turistic doesn't take you to the entrance & the city sightseeing one does? It does seem so from the map, but this clip from the website seems to indicate that it stops at the same place as the bus turistic.

http://www.barcelonatours.es/web_eng/paradas_este/13_parc_guell.html

Can anyone who has taken either of these buses tell me where each one stops in relation to parc Guell? Thanks.

I would love the answer to that question, because it is probably going to be the deciding factor for my parents -- they are in great shape/health, but I think they would rather not climb that hill.

THis map indicates that it does go to the park entrance, and I've tried emailing them for clarity, but haven't heard back...

http://www.barcelonatours.es/WEB_archivos/mapa.pdf

I would love the answer to that question, because it is probably going to be the deciding factor for my parents -- they are in great shape/health, but I think they would rather not climb that hill.

THis map indicates that it does go to the park entrance, and I've tried emailing them for clarity, but haven't heard back...

http://www.barcelonatours.es/WEB_archivos/mapa.pdf

Hi,

I haven't had any answers to my questions, but from what I have gleaned on Tripadvisor, google etc, the bus turistic definitely doesn't go to the entrance to Parc Guell. It seems likely the other one does though.

My other problem though is that the turistic red line, offers us at least, the better route, as just about all the places we want to visit are on this line. My boys for instance want to go to Camp Nou. If we tried this with the other company, we would spend all day on the bus going round in a large loop.

What I have discovered though is there is a number 24 bus which runs along Trav de Valt where the bus turistic drops you, & runs right up to Parc Guell..actually a little higher up the park so it can be just downhill walking from there depending on where you go in the park.

The bus turistic comes up Escorial & turns onto Trav de Valt. There seem a few stops for the 24 along here so this will probably be the option we take. Here is the route of bus 24

http://www.tmb.cat/img/ampli/pdf/L24.pdf

I heard back from the other company and the online map isn't current -- the bus doesn't go to the park entrance.

I was aware of Bus #24, but I think they'll just walk up....but that's a great resource for people for whom that hike would be prohibitive to visiting the park!

We just got back from Barcelona and took the Turisto bus - best decision we made as jet lag on that first day was murder. It went by all the sites and gave a terrific overview of the whole city, something we would not have seen by walking. And we got a discount from our hotel to use on the fare. Both buses are all over Barcelona, so I don't think you can go wrong with whichever you choose, just look at the free maps each offer of their routes. But again, you may want to ask your hotel if there is any discounts before you buy at the kiosks. Every little bit helps.

I heard back from the other company and the online map isn't current -- the bus doesn't go to the park entrance.

I was aware of Bus #24, but I think they'll just walk up....but that's a great resource for people for whom that hike would be prohibitive to visiting the park!

Sorry - but the only bus which stops just in front of the Park Güel is

Route 116

http://www.tmb.cat/en_US/barcelona/moute/planols/lineabusplano.jsp?linia=116#

http://www.tmb.cat/img/ampli/116.jpg

There you get out here:

2008-NCL-Jade-30123-BCN.jpg

Regards,

HeinBloed

#24 stops at an entrance at the other side of Parc Guell (not the dragon entrance.) The convenience of #24 is that is comes from P. Catalunya and that it is a more direct route to the park if using the Lesseps metro stop or coming from Trav de Dalt. It also passes La Pedrera for those who want to see that on the way to the park.

Good to know there is an additional route for those who want to go to the main entrance.

We used the #24 bus from Pl Catalunya to Park Guell in May. There was a lot of traffic and the bus was very crowded. We had to stand most of the way. It is much better to take the metro to the Lesseps stop and catch the bus there. We got off at the park top entrance and didn't need to walk uphill much. We walked all around the park and exited at the dragon entrance and walked downhill back to the Lesseps metro.

If you go to the Catalunya Plaza, both hoho companies have info booths and maps there. There will be representatives there to answer questions for you. You can get the most current info by just waiting to decide and buying your tickets on the day of. I just wouldn't preorder anything on the web when you could end up changing your mind or plans. It isn't a big deal to worry about. Plenty of buses too. :)

We never saw overcrowded buses when we were there in early Sept.

The HOHO is good if all you want to do is see Barcelona from the bus. But if you want to get off and tour some of the sites you are much better off using taxis and the Metro. The HOHO will cost about 38 euros for 2 people for one day, 48 euros for two days. The average taxi fare in town is about 6 euros and a 10 trip Metro pass is 6.65. Or you can buy the Barcelona Card www.barcelonacard.com discount pass.

Besides cost you can waste a lot of time on the HOHO. They run counterclockwise, and we found that the next place that we wanted to tour might take an hour or more by HOHO or was at a previous stop, so we just walked or took a cab.

I wouldnt recommend taxi's. They seemed very expensive to me. We got one in the early morning, from the port, to our hotel, just off las ramblas, in empty roads with no traffic, and it cost 12E. The meter went up by 5 cents, every 2 seconds...

If I wait till I get to Barcelona, how difficult is it to purchase a ticket for the bus. We will be staying at the Confortel Barcelona and were wondering if the hotel would offer discounts for the HO/HO or possibly coupons that would make it worth something to wait to purchase our tickets. Also, how difficult is it to find the voucher exchange kiosk at the airport

If I wait till I get to Barcelona, how difficult is it to purchase a ticket for the bus. We will be staying at the Confortel Barcelona and were wondering if the hotel would offer discounts for the HO/HO or possibly coupons that would make it worth something to wait to purchase our tickets. Also, how difficult is it to find the voucher exchange kiosk at the airport

You can buy in the bus.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived