Grandeur Shore Excursions in Halifax

Wondering if anyone has been on either of the shore excursions in Boston offered by RCL:

Top 10 Best of Halifax (although the writeup doesn't show 10 stops!!!!)

Peggy's Cover & Double Deck Bus (combination).

Wondering if one is better than the other?? They both go to Peggy's Cove.

Thanks,

Kaern

Halifax is a great place to ignore ship's excursions and make your own plans.

Halifax is very do-able on your own, or use a local tour operator.

If you want to see Peggy's Cove, go with a local. You'll beat the crowds from the ship!

Here is a link to the Ports of Call board for Canada: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

People have great recommendations for Halifax.

There was also a review not TOO long ago about a private tour guide that a CC member used and it sounded WONDERFUL. Do a search on *this* board for "Peggy's Cove" and you will get lots of advice and suggestions.

Someone suggested these guys: http://www.yourcab.ca as being outstanding local guides.

Another vote for doing Halifax on your on. We had a private taxi tour than included Peggy's Cove and it was great. We were ready to leave about the time the tour buses started coming. Once the buses got there it was impossible to walk around. Very, very crowded.

Do check out the ports of call board for more info.

Have a great cruise.

We did the Peggy's Cove and Double Decker Bus. Peggy's Cove was first - then you get a voucher / sticker thing to get on the bus. The information provided wasn't that great. There are three routes for the double decker bus - and we were looking for lunch.

Next time we will do the double decker bus by itself and tour Halifax.

Peggy's Cove was OK - but I guess we were expecting more

We've been there twice. The first time, we did the Peggy's Cover tour. While nice, I could have lived without it. The second time, we just walked the boardwalk, visited the museum at the end with the Titanic stuff, stopped in a few shops and then did the little beer factory (there were girls dressed in period costumes handing out coupons on the boardwalk). While I admittedly balked at doing this (DH nearly had to drag me in), I've got to say we had a great time.

There should be time to do an early visit to Peggy's Cove on your own, go back to the ship for a quick lunch and then head out to the boardwalk.

Archived