Acapulco to London, refuelling stop

capnpugwash

We have never done a fly cruise but we are heading to Panama Canal and we fly to Barbados, transfer to Oceana and then go through the Canal and then we fly back from Acapulco. We fly with Thompson and have upgraded the seats. For some reason we have a refuelling stop at Orlando - Sanford airport before proceeding to Gatwick. My question is as there are no longer transit lounges in USA will we have to go through Immigration and get our bags or will our bags be checked to Gatwick and we just hang around the gate. Any one done this flight/cruise before who could advise?? Thanks in advance.

US regulations require all passengers transiting/connecting/terminating to clear immigration and customs at first point of entry. Unless Thomson keep you on the aircraft (v. unlikely) you'll need to clear immigration and customs.

If you get off the plane you would need to go through passport control as US airports have free access to the outside. If none of the passengers are actually leaving the flight I do not believe that your luggage will be offloaded. How long does it say your stop will be? If it is less than 1-2 hours there would not be time to do it.

Cheers,

Peter

If this is truly just for refueling it would be considered a "technical stop" and would be quite short and no one will be getting off the aircraft. I could see this if you are flying on a 757 as trying to do this flight non-stop is way beyond the range of the aircraft.

If you're on a 767, it may be that your are stopping to pick up passengers in Orlando you'll be stopping at Sanford it still is doubtful given the nature of the stop and facilities that you'll be able to get off.

The good news is that the stop should be short.

Which cabin are you flying in, or to put it another way, if your not in the premium cabin see about moving to it :D

Refueling a 767 isn't a quick thing to do, however if you look on the break down of your ticket fare you should be able to find a US FIS fee, if it is there your getting off the plane, if not then your staying on it.

Globalizer should be able to correct me if I am wrong on that assumption.

Refueling a 767 isn't a quick thing to do, however if you look on the break down of your ticket fare you should be able to find a US FIS fee, if it is there your getting off the plane, if not then your staying on it.

Globalizer should be able to correct me if I am wrong on that assumption.

In theory that's probably right, but as the OP is travelling on a charter flight I'm not sure that the ticket will be that specific. In fact, most scheduled airline tickets aren't that specific either, now, and you'd have to badger the airline for a full breakdown to see.

I'm not sure that it is that unlikely that everyone will be kept on board during the refuelling process. If it's just to refuel, it shouldn't take more than about 30 minutes.

If it is a 767, I'll bet they also add the Disney World visitors as well at Sanford. The "great circle mapper" suggests that the route between Acapulco and the UK is feasible for a 767ER especially since the aircraft isn't likely to be hauling much in the way of freight and the winds would be favorable. Of course it still might be cheaper in terms of overall cost to take the hit of refueling in Orlando rather than taking off with a heavier aircraft and going non-stop.

Keep in mind that Orlando Sanford International Airport is not the major airport in Orlando. The major airport is McCoy. I doubt they will be picking up any passengers there.
Sanford is the airport used by many of the UK charter operators. That is probably exactly why the stop is taking place there, because it's where the airline normally flies to for Orlando and that's where all their operations are. So the fact that it's Sanford is no indication either way of whether there will be joining passengers there.

Thanks in advance.

Our DD lived in Surry 5 years and we visited every year, was very sad to leave. It's a beautiful area, just too cold in the winter (or was in 1617 when my ancestor left). You have access to charter travel that I have barely found in the US, and even then did not include charter air. Have a good beer for me.:D

• 4 months later...
Sanford is the airport used by many of the UK charter operators. That is probably exactly why the stop is taking place there, because it's where the airline normally flies to for Orlando and that's where all their operations are. So the fact that it's Sanford is no indication either way of whether there will be joining passengers there.

I'm also on this trip on P&O Oceana (flight is a charter from Thomson) we stop in Sanford for refuelling estimated time on tickets 1-1/2 hours, we are not allowed to leave the aircraft.

But we are required to fill in ESTA forms as we cross and land in US airspace.

Regards

Carl

Archived