Seasick Medication

doublebzz

Some friends of ours just came off the Crown Princess where the ship's store sold some seasick medication that you sniff. They claim it was far more effective, with no side effects, than typical dramamine products. They don't recall the name of the product and my pharmacist isn't knowledeable. Can anybody out there help?

I'm certainly no doctor but in reading some various websites it appears that antihistmine may help with motion sickness. Benadryl was mentioned in several articles.

"Antihistamines are often used to prevent and treat motion sickness. They are thought to do so by calming the stimulation of the inner ear."

If that's the case , there are several nasal antihistamines available in local pharmacies according to the articles.

Apparently something new and they sold it OTC in the shop.

They sell it in the shops but they don't "hand it out" and haven't done so in quite a few years. The reason being that it is a medication and they are not doctors thus inviting lawsuits.

I'm certainly no doctor but in reading some various websites it appears that antihistmine may help with motion sickness. Benadryl was mentioned in several articles.

"Antihistamines are often used to prevent and treat motion sickness. They are thought to do so by calming the stimulation of the inner ear."

If that's the case , there are several nasal antihistamines available in local pharmacies according to the articles.

After more research, my wife came up with a product called "motion eaze" described at this link: http://www.motioneaze.com. Has anyone heard anything or used this product?

Never have heard of a medication that is taken through the nose for nausea. It is a good idea, but I wonder how well it works.

I just checked with the source and have all the details now. The two ladies just got off the Crown Princess Northern TransAtlantic and are prone to seasickness. On board they purchased a nose spray called Quese-ease and said it was extrenely effective. I couldn't find it in CVS or Walgreens so maybe it is only sold aboard cruise ships.

I did buy a product called Motioneaze which are drops you place behind the ear. No idea if this works but wife will give it try next week. What I find works best for wife's seasickness is a winning streak at the craps table, however.

I was told green apples are terrific to stop sea sickness. My friend said years ago the ship had them sitting out on the buffets and that people took them to stop being sick. Have you ever heard of this before? I have used ear patches but I don't know what is in them. They worked wonderfully for me as I really do get motion sickness. I even have to be careful walking against the way the boat is sailing...I try not to look out a window too much when I am doing that lol.

Never heard of a sniffing solution but if it works that is great!

I have found the seabands are extremely effective. I would recommend them to my students in the computers @ sea classes and everyone who tried them said they were better than the patch or pills. Here is an article I found about sea sickness and some solutions http://www.biobands.com/sea-bands-seasickness-remedies.htm

Bonine is a form of antihistamine. They are not all exactly the same--this one is the type that often works well for motion sickness because it does tend to target the inner ear. So great for motion sickness, if you have hives there are better choices.

You know, I bought some Bonine /nondrowsy for my upcoming cruise. Took one tablet (it's chewable, trust me, don't chew!) and was whipped for the rest of the day. I've read other postings that some take this at night, that's what I'm going to be doing.

I guess whatever works for each individual is the best choice. What always puzzled me was, when you ask people prone to sea sickness how they tolerate flying, they generally say no problem. It seems to me that flying, particularly in turbulence, incurs a lot more motion than one feels on 100,000 ton cruise ship. Of course, I've always believed that sea sickness, to paraphrase Yogi Berra: 90% of all sea sickness is half mental.

Bonine is a brand name for meclazine. I take it every night just before bed, starting with the night before the cruise, and had the opportunity to test it on very rough seas, so I am sure that it is effective. I did have to lie in bed during an intense storm in order to feel comfortable, but I didn't get sick. It does not make me drowsy, but I also take ginsing tablets at the end of the afternoon when I cruise to keep my energy level up through the evening.

The Transderm Scop patch is Scopalamine, which is a prescription medicine. I used to use these, but stopped because my skin was too sensitive to the adhesive or plastic, my near vision was slightly blurred, and my throat and mouth was too dry. If you can tolerate the medication, the patch is very effective at stabilizing the nerve fibers of the inner ear.

I was told green apples are terrific to stop sea sickness. My friend said years ago the ship had them sitting out on the buffets and that people took them to stop being sick. Have you ever heard of this before? I have used ear patches but I don't know what is in them. They worked wonderfully for me as I really do get motion sickness. I even have to be careful walking against the way the boat is sailing...I try not to look out a window too much when I am doing that lol.

I have suffered from motion sickness my whole life. When I cruise I do stay medicated but at times still feel a bit dizzy. On our last trip I tried green apples and to my surprised I felt immediate relief. If the seas aren't too rough in November I may attempt to skip a few doses of meclizine and try green apples only...

I guess whatever works for each individual is the best choice. What always puzzled me was, when you ask people prone to sea sickness how they tolerate flying, they generally say no problem. It seems to me that flying, particularly in turbulence, incurs a lot more motion than one feels on 100,000 ton cruise ship. Of course, I've always believed that sea sickness, to paraphrase Yogi Berra: 90% of all sea sickness is half mental.

It is a very diffferent motion on a plane. There used to be considerable air sickness when prop-jets were the long haul aircraft because their motion, especially in the back and when smoking was also allowed on planes, can be very similar to the pitching and rolling of a ship. Fortunately jets have a jarring sensation which the inner ear seems to cope with much better.

Archived