What is the average weight gain on a Cruise & how long to take it off?

cherylcorwin

This will be our 2nd cruise. I gained 5 I think on the 1st. I'm doing WW and I should lose 15 lbs before I go. I plan on enjoying the food within reason and if I gain a few I'll deal with it when I get back. We always take the stairs and I'll try to get into the gym a few times. Probably do lots of walking since we have an aft cabin.

I've never gained more than about 3 lbs in a 7 day cruise...I tend to eat more desserts on the ship than in the "real world" (where honestly, I only eat dessert on my B-day, Thanksgiving and Christmas), and will often work out on sea days (since I am typically active on port days with excursions).

While on the ship, I also tend to book a far forward cabin, with dinner at the aft areas of the ship (Lido or MDR) and I take the stairs instead of doing the elevator thing.

If you are mobility limited, my biggest recommendation would be to ensure you are as physically active as you can be while on the ship and in port, walking when you can, and doing upper body exercises when you can (e.g. in the gym). Limit your dietary intake to things you would normally eat in your regular routine, allowing for an occasional ice cream/frozen yogurt or dessert wth dinner. Don't deprive yourself of or binge on any one food group, as that can wreck havoc on your body's natural metabolism prior to or following your cruise.

Happy cruising! cheers2.gif

Even though we stuffed ourselves with 2 midnight buffets and lots of yummy ice cream on Valor, my DH and I had actually dropped 8 pounds each when we got back. We didn't darken the door of the Fitness Center but had some very vigorous excursions including a long hike in the rainforest(Belize), Snorkeling in rough seas (Costa Maya), and walking miles (Grand Cayman, Honduras). I think if you stay active you'll have no problem maintaining or even dropping! Eat a lot, but burn even more off:rolleyes:

C'mon G'ma I saw that dessert pic you posted. :eek:

Yeah, and it was GREAT!!!!

However, that was ONE meal...in the supper club...

Usually in the dining room, I love the pineapple and lime sherbet and order that. Might have CMC one night.

That supper club is a killer. Huge servings and absolutely delicious. Couldn't finish the entire entree either...fortunately my almost 18-year-old grandson was with me..he wiped his AND my plate clean.

But, I'm a chocoholic.....I had to finish those wonderful little bites.

The most was 12 lbs on a B2B. Lost it in about a week after getting home and back in the normal routine. But, I am one of those lucky to not be overweight and can lose weight quickly when I want to. (6'3" and 180 lbs)

Grrrrr.....my ex-hubby#2 was like that. He'd eat salads a couple of days and drop 10 pounds!!!!!!

I divorced him...:D

I have never gained weight on a cruise. Too much walking and sweating. The food does not have near the amount of calories as fast food and the kind of foods I eat at home. I need to stay on a cruise, ROFL!!!

I have never understood how people could LOSE weight on a cruise. I guess this answers my question...the only way to lose on a cruise is to eat worse at home! Seriously, I can't imagine how I could NOT gain weight. I gained about 5 lbs. on my first cruise and I almost never took the elevator.

I just can't imagine how much you would have to eat at home in order to lose weight on a cruise where you are eating all day long. :(

I always go on a diet right before the cruise and that works for me, so I can eat and enjoy myself. My DH and I do alot of walking on and off the ship. While I can't remember gaining alot of weight, I usually gain a few pounds and take it off when I return.

I always go on a diet right before the cruise and that works for me, so I can eat and enjoy myself. My DH and I do alot of walking on and off the ship. While I can't remember gaining alot of weight, I usually gain a few pounds and take it off when I return.

This is what I do as well -- our upcoming trip on the Splendor will be our first week-long on a real "cruise ship" however....I've done the Disney Wonder 3-day twice and every other trip has been either on Windjammer (3 sailings on the Mandalay) or we've chartered a sailboat and sailed ourselves in the BVI -- on the Wonder, I might have gained 2 pounds but it was gone so fast I didn't notice and on the WJ trips, you didn't have the constant flow of food and we were VERY active - ditto for the charters - we make our own food and choose our provisions so I can eliminate what might be outrageous :eek: and sailing a boat can be very active work -- we also do a ton of swimming and walking so that helps too! I plan to hit the gym every day on Splendor.

I think we probably indulge more in alcohol which can PACK on the pounds if you overdo it -- especially things like the "foo foo" drinks -- a margarita has about 750 calories :eek:

Also, a lot of it can be water retention in the warmer, more humid climates. I know that's true for me, anyway. I could barely get my shoes on one summer when we were in the BVI! LOL

I don't remember if I gained on the 1st 3 cruises. Last cruise I gained 2 pounds. Not bad considering I had dessert twice daily. We get plenty of exercise walking all over the ship. Hubby goes to the gym every day. Me, not so much - maybe a couple of times. We take the stairs fairly often.

On the 2 cruises I've taken, I lost about 10 lbs each, but I was FAR more active than I am at home. Walked miles and miles and miles and had active shore excursions. I ate what I wanted when I wanted but I tried to make the calories count, if something was just ok, I didn't bother eating it. And only one trip to the buffet, never went back for 2nds (or more :D). And I don't drink much, I think that makes a big difference. Alcohol and foo foo drinks are not only loaded with calories but they can make you bloat and retain water. Not that I'm saying it's bad to drink, I do love the foo foo drinks :p

It takes consuming 3500 calories more than you burn to gain one pound. So there is no way anyone is gaining 8-10 pounds of fat in a week; the fact it comes off so quickly shows it's mostly fluid retention. Drink lots of water to flush out the salty foods and stay off the elevators! :D

Archived