Alaska Tour Saver Book for 2010

Foxhill

I just checked with the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman Tour in Ketchikan and Major Marine in Seward and was told by both that they will not be participating in the 2010 Alaska Tour Saver coupon book. Major Marine did say that they will be participating in the Northern Lights coupon book for 2010, but I don't know whether Bering Sea will do so. Their representative did not indicate any other programs they were using for discounts. This will definitely make a difference in our choice of excursions. We are two adults and our granddaughter which makes the total 3 hour tour cost us $505.62....just a bit too expensive for one single excursion, no matter how wonderful it is. :(

I just checked with the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman Tour in Ketchikan and Major Marine in Seward and was told by both that they will not be participating in the 2010 Alaska Tour Saver coupon book. Major Marine did say that they will be participating in the Northern Lights coupon book for 2010, but I don't know whether Bering Sea will do so. Their representative did not indicate any other programs they were using for discounts. This will definitely make a difference in our choice of excursions. We are two adults and our granddaughter which makes the total 3 hour tour cost us $505.62....just a bit too expensive for one single excursion, no matter how wonderful it is. :(

I know many love this excursion. I have not been on it. It did not interest us. If you do a search, you may come across a post by one person who was disappointed in the tour. From what I recall reading, the "catches" you have on your tour are not necessarily "real time." They pre-catch so there are no disappointed tour participants. Not sure if that makes a difference to you or not. For some it seems to take away from the trip. For others it makes no difference. They still enjoy it. As with all excursions, not everyone enjoys the same thing. I am sure you can still find some enjoyable things to do with your granddaughter that are not quite so expensive.

There were news stories in Alaska that said many of the merchants who participated in the discount coupon books felt that they were loosing money as they had to pay to be in the books and then give the discounts.

Remember you have to take the WHOLE coupon book (books) with you to use the coupons.

Look for an ID card with a bar code for future editions of those books (likely 2011) with the ID card having your name on it to prevent book sharing.

From what we've been reading in the Alaska news, the rules are tightening up on the coupon books for 2010. Better to figure on taken the whole book in both cases than getting up there and finding out your coupons are worthless. For the 2009 season Northern Lights encouraged sharing the coupons with family and friends and Toursaver required the whole book be presented with the coupons intact. 2010 rules aren't out as yet.

If I might add my two cents worth....we just got back from Alaska and did the Bering Sea Crab tour. There were 4 of us and we were extremely impressed with the customer service (one of the best in our experience in Alaska), the tour itself and the attention to detail (down to the parkas they loan you while you're on the tour.) We had a wonderful time and were fascinated by all the critters we saw and seeing how hard they have to work. We also used the toursaver books. With all this said, and I hate to say this, I do not think it is worth it to pay full price. I think it is a bit overpriced. JMHO

• 2 months later...
From what we've been reading in the Alaska news, the rules are tightening up on the coupon books for 2010. Better to figure on taken the whole book in both cases than getting up there and finding out your coupons are worthless. For the 2009 season Northern Lights encouraged sharing the coupons with family and friends and Toursaver required the whole book be presented with the coupons intact. 2010 rules aren't out as yet.

Does anyone know what the rules are for the 2010? I was hoping to buy for our upcoming trip with the plan that I could sell when we are done, we really only need three coupons which will cover the cost, save us some money, and then I thought I'd pass it on to someone else. If that isn't possible though I'd like to know before I buy.

Does anyone know what the rules are for the 2010? I was hoping to buy for our upcoming trip with the plan that I could sell when we are done, we really only need three coupons which will cover the cost, save us some money, and then I thought I'd pass it on to someone else. If that isn't possible though I'd like to know before I buy.

Email the coupon vendors directly and inquire. Scott of Toursaver, has always been very available for questions.

I own the 2010 TourSaver coupon book. There is a book number printed in the book and a message saying not to remove any voucher, that you must present the whole book when you redeem the coupons.

If anyone has any other questions about the book, let me know. I already talked to one vendor who said they are not offering some of the same coupons they did the past and there is less flexibility to upgrade as there was in previous years. (For example, the coupon in the book is good for a 4 hour cruise and I wanted a 6 hour. She said no upgrades allowed, even if I paid the difference!)

Still, one coupon allow is going to save me $430 so I'm still happy to have purchase the book!

I also got an email from Scott at Toursaver who was very quick with a response, he says 'the books are totally transferable' (my parents want to do a cruise too so we may share a book) the only thing he warns about I think we all already know, don't tear out the coupons!

Hi All,

I booked 5 tour saver coupon tours last week and I was told by 2 vendors that they would be placing limits on the number of coupons per excursion

after the first of the year. Only one required the tour saver book number in the front of the book. I was unable to book on-line but the ones who did not list a toll free number on the coupon had one on their website. Toll free calls were a definite plus! I hope this is helpful information.

Happy Vacation Planning!

Linda

Hi All,

I booked 5 tour saver coupon tours last week and I was told by 2 vendors that they would be placing limits on the number of coupons per excursion

after the first of the year. Only one required the tour saver book number in the front of the book. I was unable to book on-line but the ones who did not list a toll free number on the coupon had one on their website. Toll free calls were a definite plus! I hope this is helpful information.

Happy Vacation Planning!

Linda

Hi, Linda!

I haven't booked any tours yet but could you clarify what you meant by limiting the number of coupons per excursion? Does that mean if I have a family of 4, I can only use one coupon or do you mean they will only let a certain number of coupon holders per tour (i.e. 5 other parties already have coupons for this tour on July 15th so I can't book July 15th with a coupon)?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, Linda!

I haven't booked any tours yet but could you clarify what you meant by limiting the number of coupons per excursion? Does that mean if I have a family of 4, I can only use one coupon or do you mean they will only let a certain number of coupon holders per tour (i.e. 5 other parties already have coupons for this tour on July 15th so I can't book July 15th with a coupon)?

Thanks in advance!

Flights have limits, some boat tours do as well. You need to CONTACT the vendor's directly for your specific questions.

Even in past years, many tours and hotels limited the number of Toursaver coupons that they would accept. If there is something you really want to do, book it once your dates and plans are firm. And always ask re: cancellation policies before booking.

Re: phone numbers. With Skype, ultra cheap domestic phone rates and many cell phone plans that cover calls to Alaska at no extra charge, toll-free numbers are almost irrelevant to me. But YMMV.

Aznaphrodite,

Budget Queen and Frugaltravel clarified my statement about the BOGO tours with Tour Saver and gave you great advise. All of the vendors I spoke with were very helpful and reviewed cancellation information on the phone. I requested e-mail confirmation and the verbal review was in writing.

This is our first trip to Alaska also and you sound as excited as I am.

Happy Travel Planning

Linda

Archived