VIDEO of the two ships in Cozumel

GregD

But that doesn't make sense.

1. The CPT could have remained docked.

2. The CPT could have utilized tugs

3. The CPT could have utilized his state of the art weather equipment and documents which would have notified him of bad storm cells in the area. (storms such as this don't pop out of nowhere, this is 2009 folks, we have wonderful technology out there to advise pilots of these types of things).

Not much different than the options given to a pilot on a plane.

This was most definitely pilot error. Of course CCL and it's employees are going to be doing damage control to squelch any negative press out of this issue, so I wouldn't expect John to be anything other than charming about the incident. I definitely do not fault him for that.

These things happen. All the time, in every transportation industry out there regardless of brand. Won't prevent me from sailing, and certainly won't cloud my judgment and love for CCL.

I am just glad everyone was safe.

I was getting ready to post this and decided to check to make sure that someone else didn't do it first. And you did THANK YOU.

We all have to learn not to make assumptions until we all know the true facts. Blaming the captain for something that was not his fault is not a nice thing to do. If you read John H's blog the Captain did every thing he could to prevent this. This was an Act of God. Winds and waves high enough and strong enough to push a ship that large into another ship is NO ONE's FAULT.

And at the risk of being flamed (my flame retardant suit is on) I am glad that some people here are not on a jury trying a case since they seem ready to hang a person before hearing all the facts.

trell2.jpg

But that doesn't make sense.

1. The CPT could have remained docked.

2. The CPT could have utilized tugs

3. The CPT could have utilized his state of the art weather equipment and documents which would have notified him of bad storm cells in the area. (storms such as this don't pop out of nowhere, this is 2009 folks, we have wonderful technology out there to advise pilots of these types of things).

Not much different than the options given to a pilot on a plane.

This was most definitely pilot error. Of course CCL and it's employees are going to be doing damage control to squelch any negative press out of this issue, so I wouldn't expect John to be anything other than charming about the incident. I definitely do not fault him for that.

These things happen. All the time, in every transportation industry out there regardless of brand. Won't prevent me from sailing, and certainly won't cloud my judgment and love for CCL.

I am just glad everyone was safe.

Sudden gusts and wind shifts absolutely occur out of nowhere, especially within a storm cell - think tornado - all the weather equipment in the world can't predict where & when one will develop.

Unfortunate accident - nothing more.

I serious doubt that it was ONE sudden gust of wind that created this fiasco. It was much more serious than that and much longer than one sudden gust of wind. It's like people have CCL blinders on today......

Sudden gusts and wind shifts absolutely occur out of nowhere, especially within a storm cell - think tornado - all the weather equipment in the world can't predict where & when one will develop.

Unfortunate accident - nothing more.

Obviously some folks decided that on their balcony wasn't on a deck so they stayed. It turned out not to be that big a deal, no one was injured, but they should have listened to the CD.

I was on the Legend the week before and I think most of the passengers quickly learned to tune out the cruise director's constant irritating announcements. "Good afternoon, this is Jen ..... "

Why would he? It was a freak accident caused by strong winds.

Why would he be... because he is the captain. Freak accident or not it is still his watch, just because it was a freak thing it is the captains responsible to anticipate what could happen. I am sailing on the legend mid November I hope they have a new Captain because this one clearly made a mistake that could have caused someone's death. This captain should be fired.

I think most of the posters here that say the captain should be fired are forgetting that this was an accident!!!! The thrusters were running full blast and could not keep the wind from blowing the ship into the other one.

Some people who are texting in their cars get into a wreck because of the texting and call that an accident!!! I am sure the captain was not texting and was doing all he could to prevent the ACCIDENT!!!

Flame Away

Smitty

I agree with everyone that said a new captain might be on the Legend soon, you see there was this storm, and it had been rainy and windy, and you have radar, and all these weather indicators and you could wait 20 minutes before untying and heading out. What might have been a 30 minute late arrival in Belize turned out to be being held in port for a couple hours...long after the storm left. IMHO

Ever see one of those shows about airline "accidents". Usually it is a combination of things that causes it. Also things are learned from it hopefully lessening the chance of it happening again.

I can't image nothing could have been done differently in this situation. We may never know what really happened or what was learned from it, but hopefully someone from Carnival will investigate and procedures will be improved.

I hope they have a new Captain because this one clearly made a mistake that could have caused someone's death. This captain should be fired.

It could have been much worse... but it wasn't.

Nobody was hurt and the damage just cosmetic.

Those on the bridge did a fine job of preventing a possible catastrophe.

The insurance companies will pony up, the passengers get a great story to tell, the pilot and captain will be reprimanded, people with opposing expert opinions have another excuse to chew each other out, and the world continues to turn.

I would think the captain would be looking for a new job right about now.

Why, because he could not control Mother Nature. They know these kinds of incidents are going to happen when you have winds at 50 knots. He tried his hardest, but like someone said, you can't stop these ships on a dime. I look at it, it could have been much worse.

Why would he be... because he is the captain. Freak accident or not it is still his watch, just because it was a freak thing it is the captains responsible to anticipate what could happen. I am sailing on the legend mid November I hope they have a new Captain because this one clearly made a mistake that could have caused someone's death. This captain should be fired.

OK smarty, you tell me how anyone can for see one of those huge ropes that keep those large ships tied to the dock that it was going to break. Now tell us what you would have done different then what the Captain did. It is so nice to sit back in front of your computer and say that this Captain should be fired for something he had no control over at all. A person can anticipate what can happen all the time, but each situation is handled differently. Have you bothered to read what John Heald wrote who was an actual witness in the bridge to the whole thing. Did you read what he had to say.

I agree with everyone that said a new captain might be on the Legend soon, you see there was this storm, and it had been rainy and windy, and you have radar, and all these weather indicators and you could wait 20 minutes before untying and heading out. What might have been a 30 minute late arrival in Belize turned out to be being held in port for a couple hours...long after the storm left. IMHO

You are all forgetting one thing that the Captain also had no control over and that was the rope breaking that tied the ship to the dock. So he has the high winds and a rope that breaks, so which one can he control, neither. I bet he knew what the weather was, just like all the other cruise ship Captains that were in Port, but it just happened to be that this rope broke at the wrong time.

It didn't break on the legend. That video is from a MCS cruise. The CPT of the Legend apparently made the decision to set sail despite the terrible conditions outside.

Take a look at the other thread pertaining to this issue. A passenger posted her experience there which is very different from Johns. Now, I like John, but I'd be crazy to think he would admit ANY fault in his blog. CCL would be looking for a new senior CD if he did that! I expect him to do exactly what he did...put out fires.

You are all forgetting one thing that the Captain also had no control over and that was the rope breaking that tied the ship to the dock. So he has the high winds and a rope that breaks, so which one can he control, neither. I bet he knew what the weather was, just like all the other cruise ship Captains that were in Port, but it just happened to be that this rope broke at the wrong time.

Archived