VIDEO of the two ships in Cozumel

GregD

Yeah and even more disconcerting that the ships collided in the first place. I bet this doesn't happen every day! I'll be on the Legend in 10 days. I hope the Captain is a wee bit more careful in the future. I posted about this "almost" happening on the Oct. 2, 2005 sailing of the Carnival Conquest in Grand Cayman. The Congest and Valor almost collided. I don't know if anyone on CC happened to be on either of those ships then.

Yeah and even more disconcerting that the ships collided in the first place. I bet this doesn't happen every day! I'll be on the Legend in 10 days. I hope the Captain is a wee bit more careful in the future. I posted about this "almost" happening on the Oct. 2, 2005 sailing of the Carnival Conquest in Grand Cayman. The Congest and Valor almost collided. I don't know if anyone on CC happened to be on either of those ships then.

You'll have nothing to worry about on your cruise. This was just a freak incident with alot of different things coming together at once.

The ship we were on (Freedom of the Seas) was nearly struck by the Carnival Conquest in 2007. (see pic)

IMG_0157.jpg

The ship we were on (Freedom of the Seas)

was nearly struck by the Carnival Conquest in 2007. (see pic)

Wow! Look at those bow thrusters working full speed!

never seen them workin that furiously before! :eek:

John Heald is currently on Legend and he posted about the entire incident on his blog yesterday.

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2009/10/01/a-touching-blog/#more-11427

The ships did not "collide" and the Captain did all he could possible do to avoid it but according to John the ships "touched". Collide sounds like a major traffic crash on the highway. John's account is further down the blog, not right at the top.

According to John, the cruise director made several announcements to tell people go get off the decks on that side of the ship. Obviously some folks decided that on their balcony wasn't on a deck so they stayed. It turned out not to be that big a deal, no one was injured, but they should have listened to the CD.

Would it have been the captain or the pilot taking her out of port?

The port pilot has control of the ship but the captain should be right beside him...It looks like the winds were just too strong.....Dennis

Here state side, a local pilot (docking pilot-familiar with that particular dock and its approaches) gives orders to the Master and 1st mate(person on the helm) and the assist tugs. Once off the dock or underweigh, a federal pilot takes command(but not) of the ship and its under his authority until they reach the sea bouy.

The Pilots, either state or federal, act as consultants to the master, rarely will they ever actually steer the ship. However, the responsibily is solely his(or hers), its all on their license.

Now, its been a few years since Ive cruised, but the last few times I didnt notice any tugs along side. This means it was all done with thrusters. This means that thier is always a chance for equipment malfuntion or communication breakdown (misunderstanding or just didnt like the way the pilot was doing things).

from what the video shows, weather was a main contributing factor, windy, stormy conditions were present at the time of the incident. And a cruise ship has tremendous sail area. Personally I would have called and had some horsepower(tugs) sitting by, if not available, stand own until the weather had cleared and made it up during the night.

The only people who know what actually happend were on the bridge wing... time will tell...

Danny

According to DH (ex seaman) the pilot is there to direct you through safe waters/channels but that something like this falls in the captains lap. He has the option to call in tug boats in these weather conditions but DH says he imagines that to be very costly and so I guess he decided his propulsion system could handle the conditions.

We imagine the captain is in HOT water right now.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the ultimate say for the ship in this instance would be the Captains.

John Heald is currently on Legend and he posted about the entire incident on his blog yesterday.

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2009/10/01/a-touching-blog/#more-11427

The ships did not "collide" and the Captain did all he could possible do to avoid it but according to John the ships "touched". Collide sounds like a major traffic crash on the highway. John's account is further down the blog, not right at the top.

According to John, the cruise director made several announcements to tell people go get off the decks on that side of the ship. Obviously some folks decided that on their balcony wasn't on a deck so they stayed. It turned out not to be that big a deal, no one was injured, but they should have listened to the CD.

I was getting ready to post this and decided to check to make sure that someone else didn't do it first. And you did THANK YOU.

We all have to learn not to make assumptions until we all know the true facts. Blaming the captain for something that was not his fault is not a nice thing to do. If you read John H's blog the Captain did every thing he could to prevent this. This was an Act of God. Winds and waves high enough and strong enough to push a ship that large into another ship is NO ONE's FAULT.

And at the risk of being flamed (my flame retardant suit is on) I am glad that some people here are not on a jury trying a case since they seem ready to hang a person before hearing all the facts.

trell2.jpg

According to DH (ex seaman) the pilot is there to direct you through safe waters/channels but that something like this falls in the captains lap. He has the option to call in tug boats in these weather conditions but DH says he imagines that to be very costly and so I guess he decided his propulsion system could handle the conditions.

We imagine the captain is in HOT water right now.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the ultimate say for the ship in this instance would be the Captains.

EXACTLY!

Its a weird relationship. So ships need to pay to have pilots come on board. Ports will not allow a ship to enter its waters without one. When he's onboard, he is not at the controls. The Captain is always at the controls, most likely at the station on the bridge wings. The pilot stands next to him to give him an update on current conditions, both weather and port facilities.

As for dock pilot. Thats on a port by port basis. I know NYC has one but its not mandatory from some ports.

An interesting note: in some lesser fortunate nations, the pilots are brought on, but due to lack of education, they are not listened to at all.

... I am glad that some people here are not on a jury trying a case since they seem ready to hang a person before hearing all the facts.

But then what would we possible use the Internet for! I mean it happens after every accident/incident, plane crash, vessel collision/allision, train wreck. Everyone seems to put on their NTSB hat and starts to blame people. Thats just common culture now-a-days.

Archived