Vancouver Flight?

MHF

We have booked the Alaska cruise which arrives back in Vancouver on Sunday, Sept. 12, 2010 at 8 a.m. I am using my FF miles for air and will need to book that in the next few weeks, as soon as United opens the dates. It appears there are 2 HAL ships arriving that morning, too.

Can you all tell me if an 11 a.m. flight out of Vancouver is not feasible?

We cruised Cunard Grille level before and were off the ship by 8:30 in NYC. But that didn't involve customs at the airport later, either.

If we are able to fly out at 11, it gets us back to the east coast at 8:45 that evening, with 1 stop. If we wait until the 1:30 p.m. flight, we don't get in until 11:35. Monday is unfortunately a work day!

Thanks, Melissa

Melissa - the airport is quite a ways from the port in Vancouver, and there are not too many routes one can take to get from Point A to Point B. IF there is no traffic and IF you are able to disembark early, you MIGHT make it. One word of caution, however - the check-in lanes at the airport for US citizens are generally quite long and we've ended up waiting for a while, even with first class seating. You'll also be competing with all the passengers from the other ships for a taxi or shuttle. All transportation was handled in a lower level parking area when we were there a couple of years ago. We had hired a town car, and they had a difficult time getting into the area & it was absolutely jammed getting out. I think 11AM is really pushing it - and if it were me, I would try a plan less prone to panic. If there were any way for you to take Monday off, Vancouver is a fabulous city to visit, and that would give all the cruisers a day to clear out, as well! You could stay at the Sutton Place Hotel or the Wedgewood Hotel, and have dinner at an amazing restaurant within walking distance of both, called Le Crocodile. Best Wishes!

Thanks all! I just finished reading the huge discussion on YVR on a Saturday over on the Air section. I guess I'd better go with 1:35 p.m. and be happy if things work. Maybe I can sleep in an hour or so the next day...

We have been to Vancouver before (picking up in-laws after a Princess cruise on way to family wedding) and also got to see Seattle and Victoria. Flew into/out of Sea-Tac so didn't know what YVR is like.

Did you notice WE'RE NOT going on Princess :D

Melissa

we left the shadow in Aug.and stayed at the Wedgewood for 2 day; a lovely place; by staying in Vancouver we did not clear customs until we got to Toronto on the way to boston ; if you have the time vancouver is a fabulous town

Thanks all! I just finished reading the huge discussion on YVR on a Saturday over on the Air section. I guess I'd better go with 1:35 p.m. and be happy if things work. Maybe I can sleep in an hour or so the next day...

We have been to Vancouver before (picking up in-laws after a Princess cruise on way to family wedding) and also got to see Seattle and Victoria. Flew into/out of Sea-Tac so didn't know what YVR is like.

Did you notice WE'RE NOT going on Princess :D

Melissa

A flight at 11.00am is cutting it a little fine. You would find it far more relaxing to try and get a flight after 1.00pm ... and yes, I know that will get you on the east coast very late, I do a YVR/SEA-MIA trip 5 or 6 times a year.

MHV, you will have plenty of time to make the 1:15 PM flight. I know because my wife and I returned from Vancouver at 2:00 PM after departing the Shadow on our August cruise from Alaska, plus I have been there several times before. And we arrived there several hours before the flight and we did not rush off the ship.

While you may have been able to actually make the 11:00 AM flight I would have gone with the 1:15 PM flight as you did. The 8:00 AM they are showing is probably the time you'll get off the ship.

Obviously, you have plenty of time to figure out transporation. I'd with go with private car or actually they have a new sky train that just opened up about two weeks after we were there that goes from Canada Place right to the airport. If you don't have too much luggage just something to consider just to try something different.

And, yes getting through customs varies.

Hint: If you are traveling before then, get an extra customs card nd bring it with you on the trip so you can fill it out ahead of time.

And, plan to have lunch at the airport.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we'll be taking Monday off from work...our flight is 6:30 AM that morning to the East. If we took the Sunday afternoon flight, we wouldn't get home until probably 2 AM or after which means we'd be useless at work anyway.

So now we have Sunday afternoon to enjoy Vancouver! I enjoyed visiting the aquarium the last time. Maybe the suspension bridge this time.

Thanks for your input...I would have hated to end a vacation with a missed flight.

Melissa

Archived