train info seattle to vancouver

gigivic

Does anyone have the schedule for the train from Seattle to Vancouver. just canceled my HAL cruise leaving Seattle and switched to Royal Caribbean Radiance from Vancouver. Flying into Seattle (1/2 the price compared to Vancouver) and will leave out of Seattle. Want to travel back and forth by train. Any info regarding this would be appreciated.

Try this.

http://www.amtrak.com

remember there is only one train per day the rest of the trips are via bus - try for the train as the route is much nicer - also remember that if you are coming into Vancouver on the same day as the cruise that you will probably be departing from Ballantyne Pier rather than Canada Place if you are cruising on RCl.

Hope this helps

Dennis

Also note that the morning train from Seattle to Vancouver leaves before any flights from the east arrive at SEA, and the return train arrives too late for any onward connections from SEA except red-eyes. Thus a hotel stay is required both coming and going for most people. Fine if you want to see something of our fair city in the bargain, otherwise the airfare savings provided by flying through SEA instead of YVR are diluted.

We're flying into SEA the day before, got a 3* Hilton Garden Inn (Renton) with airport transporation included for $37 on Hotwire ($79 on the Hilton website), and then doing the 7:45AM train to Vancouver the next morning. (Learned about the hotel here on CruiseCritic - apparently good reviews). Coming back will be QuickShuttle so we can make it back home that day.:)

We're also going to be taking the train to Vancouver for our August cruise. We live in Seattle and it's definitely our transportation of choice whenever we go to Canada. Beautiful trip! Also, Business Class is very comfortable and not that much more money.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to check luggage in early, post 9/11? Since we'll be disembarking in the morning and the return trip to Seattle doesn't leave until 6pm, we'd like to spend the afternoon doing something fun. Obviously, we don't want to haul our luggage around and since there is only one southbound train a day, I was hoping there wouldn't be a problem. If it's an issue, any suggestions?

Bonnie,

We took Amtrack from Vancouver to Seattle, but alas it was a pre 9-11 trip. Why don't you call Amtrack and ask them their policy. I am sure they would have a policy if they are accepting luggage early for ticketed passengers.

BTW a great way to see Vancouver is to get an all day pass for the buses, sky train and water taxis. It costs about $4 in 2000, but it was 6 in Canadian money.

Deb

• 2 weeks later...

here is just another option www.quickshuttle.com . i know that the train is a wonderful experience and many take it too vancouver, but because of the times the train leaves from seattle and the time our plane gets into seatac we are going to use the quick shuttle bus service. it is $75 roundtrip. they are right at the airport to take you too vancouver and drop you off at your hotel. then when you get off the ship they will be there to take you back to seatac or certain hotels in seattle. it is the best thing for us too do and saves us from getting to the train station to catch the train and we wont have cab fares. we are going a day early so our stay in vancouver will be a great adventure the night before and a couple of days in seattle after the cruise will be fun too.

have a great time.

The train arrives at Pacific Central station - located at the eastern end of the downtown core - you are about 1- 2 miles from the port and hotels - if you don't have a lot of luggage you could use our Skytrain - rapid transit to downtown or just grab a taxi.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks!

We are still debating on what to do. Right now, I think renting a car is about to win out! Wow! There is so much planning involved in all of this. We've done Alaska before but then we just flew into Vancouver, spent the night, and cruised the next day. No muss, no fuss. Flights to Vancouver are ridiculous, so we're flying into Seattle 3 days early....will probably stay in Seattle one night....Vancouver for two....and then Seattle one night on the return trip. Lots of things to arrange. I appreciate everyone's advice.

Archived