Princess vs. Royal Caribbean

Having cruised over 10 times on Princess, considering trying Royal Caribbean.

Would appreciate those who have sailed both lines to comment on differences.

We are both in our early sixties.....

I also have cruised on both Princess and Royal Caribbean. I tend to favor RCI, mostly because of their loyalty program, but, in my opinion, the two lines are very similar. Each has their own little highlights, but I think you'd be happy on either one. If you'd like to see an Ice Show, then RCI is the place to be; if you like sitting at the back of the ship watching the wake then I'd say Princess has a better layout for that. For Bingo, I'd definitely say Princess since RCI's is much more expensive to play. Everthing is really a personal preference.

Go ahead and try it otherwise you'll never know. Even if RCI doesn't live up to your expectations, you will still have had a cruise vacation - and how bad could that be:D

Princess has the better loyalty program. I am at the top of both loyalty programs and free laundry and pressing, free mini bar and $150 credit for internet on a 7 day cruise beats RCL's perks. Both lines are similar and I think you'd like either one. Princess has fewer kids and better food RCL has higher energy and more activities. I sailed twice with RCL this year and my next two cruises are booked with Princess. They are almost interchangeable.

I also have cruised on both Princess and Royal Caribbean. I tend to favor RCI, mostly because of their loyalty program, but, in my opinion, the two lines are very similar. Each has their own little highlights, but I think you'd be happy on either one. If you'd like to see an Ice Show, then RCI is the place to be; if you like sitting at the back of the ship watching the wake then I'd say Princess has a better layout for that. For Bingo, I'd definitely say Princess since RCI's is much more expensive to play. Everthing is really a personal preference.

Go ahead and try it otherwise you'll never know. Even if RCI doesn't live up to your expectations, you will still have had a cruise vacation - and how bad could that be:D

That is true only if one chooses a Voyager or Freedom class ship... or I guess Oasis. I would not want someone to get the impression that they will see an ice show on any RCI ship that is chosen.

That is true only if one chooses a Voyager or Freedom class ship... or I guess Oasis. I would not want someone to get the impression that they will see an ice show on any RCI ship that is chosen.

You are right... Sorry about that. We've only been going on Voyager/Freedom class lately, so I wasn't thinking about the others.

After so many cruises in Princess you will find many-many differences between the two lines (I did). Princess is better (food and service) but you have to give RCI a shot, or make that a double shot. You won't go wrong. :-)

I agree that they are about the same. I like the on board activities and entertainment better on Royal Caribbean. Princess is a little more sedate to me. Give Royal a try and see for yourself.

As many of the OP's said, they are pretty neck and neck. They each have certain areas where one seems to be better than the other, but overall you will have a good experience on either. While each has a wide range of age groups on board, I think Princess' tends to be ever so slightly older. I also prefer the steakhouse on Princess over Chops on RCL, but Chops was still very good. Don't fret it, try RCL. I don't think you will be disappointed.

We too have only cruised with Princess.

Infact we have only cruised the once............Ruby Princess.

We would have had no trouble going on her again, as it was absolutely fantastic, but have decided to bite the bullet and try RCCL.

We will be on The Independence Of The Seas in January going to the Eastern caribbean.

can't wait!

Cheers

davy!!! :)

We tried Princess in 2004 and did not like it. We felt the food and service were sub-par to RCI.

The last few RCI cruises we have been on, we have seen that change. The RCI food and service have declined considerably. We are ready to try Princess again! We wanted to try her again for our last cruise in May, but couldn't find an itenerary that matched what we needed. Looked again for my upcoming cruise in December, but the deal on Navigator was too good to beat.

I may be in the minority, but if you like Princess I would consider staying with them or going to Celebrity or Cunard. I LOVED the QM2 and have heard many good things about Celebrity.

As everyone else has said, the two are very close in food, "feel", etc. If you like Princess you will like RC. It will be fun to discover some of the things that RC does that are a bit different than Princess.

I just had a disappointing cruise on Princess and hoping RCCl could revive me:D. I had a great first cruise but did not like the more sedated/boring vibe of Princess. I am energetic and like to have fun or watch people have fun. Most sea days on Princess were filled with classes@sea or demonstrations without even a band by the pool. I was hoping for more from RCCL. I did not care much for the food on Princess and even chose the buffet for dinner for the first time in 10 cruises. I loved the food on RCCL on my previous 6 cruises but this was a few years ago. I am hoping for a different experience from Princess. We are not booked on Mariner of the Seas. If they are neck and neck from those who have tried them recently then this cruise might be a waste of valuable vacation time (short on that)!

We've sailed both Princess and RCI... enjoyed both very much. I thought the food was equal, entertainment a bit better on Princess. We sailed on Liberty of the Seas, so of course the activity options were much greater on such a large ship. We have two teenagers and they loved the flowrider etc. My parents (in their 70's) liked the fact that there was more "action" and young people on RCI... they just enjoyed watching a lot of it.

I would just make the point that not only does one have to consider differences and similarities when comparing cruise lines, but the experience on a cruise line between classes of ships can make a huge difference also. While it is true that food and service may be more or less the same across a cruise line's fleet, the atmosphere can be very different between classes of ships.

One can say that they found Princess more sedate than RCI. But I think it is also important to note which Princess ship that experience was found on and what RCI ship is being used for comparison. Was it a smaller Princess ship or a grand class ship? If one is looking for a lot of activity on RCI there is going to be a pretty big difference between a Vision class ship and a Voyager or Freedom class ship. I very much like RCI but it is not likely that I would sail RCI on a vision class ship. I like the atmosphere and activity of the larger ships. Other people love RCI's Vison class and stay away from the larger ships like the plague.

It would be helpful if the OP could at least note what types of things they look for on a cruise as well as what they did and did not like about Princess as well as what size ships they have been on. It would make it easier to taylor a response that it relevant.

In short, RCI could have exactly what someone is looking for but because the various classes of ships are so different if they were to pick the wrong class of ship they could end up very disappointed.

RCCL MDR service better than Princess.

RCCL food has more spice than Princess. I find Princess too bland.

Princess layered aft deck areas and bars nicer than RCCL.

Princess calmer around the pool area than RCCL.

More late night food options on Princess than Voyager or Freedom class RCCL.

I'll go on any cruise line if there is value for money, the itinerary is right, and I know what I am getting into by researching on CC.

Loyalty benefits do not really sway me. If it happens, it happens.

RCCL MDR service better than Princess.

RCCL food has more spice than Princess. I find Princess too bland.

Princess layered aft deck areas and bars nicer than RCCL.

Princess calmer around the pool area than RCCL.

More late night food options on Princess than Voyager or Freedom class RCCL.

I'll go on any cruise line if there is value for money, the itinerary is right, and I know what I am getting into by researching on CC.

Loyalty benefits do not really sway me. If it happens, it happens.

Well said.... I'd agree with all points.

You can't go wrong w/ either line. Princess tends to have a slightly older crowd and offers better prices (specials). RCCL entertainment and recreation areas trump Princess, esp on the larger ships. We last sailed on the Crown and are now booked on the Adventure --we will sail on either line any chance we get.

We sailed On The Emerald Princess last year because we were ready for a change. We have sailed on most of the RCCL ships. We had a fabulous trip . Our conclusion ( my husband and two "adult children ") was the following:

RCCL has better food

Princess had fabulous entertainment

Prefer RCCL Jr Suite to the Princess Mini Suite

RCCL ships have more WOW effect in design

Princess had much better Art Auction Program

Equal Service

RCCL gym facilty and spa more impressive

We are back to RCCL this year......If we leave RCCL for a family cruise ,we would venture to Celebrity, but probably wont go back to Princess.

Whichever you decide , you know it will be incredible ....all cruises are!

Have fun!

I just returned from my first RCCL Cruise and I admit, I was smitten!! This was my 8th cruise......1 Disney 6 Princess and now RCCL. If found Royal Caribbean to be equal in most ways or even a smidge better than Princess. I think the food was much better, the lay out of the ship was great, and it was impeccably clean. I loved the Jr suite in comparrison to the Mini suite on Princess. The one short fall in my opinion was entertainment. I thought the production shows were definately lacking. Also, bingo for $37.00 was a rip off! All in all they are both very comperable, and I would gladly cruise either line!

You really need to experience RCCL for yourself......it is nice to change it up a bit.........we are platinum with Carnival, have sailed twice on RCCL and Princess.........to date Princess is our fav.......but we are excited to try NCL next........

All of our cruises have been awesome!

Good luck!

Archived