Hotel in Rome - near Spanish Steps or Vatican???

FLsunshinegal

What is reasonable?? We return to Rome this evening and are staying for the second time at B&B Giovy. (You can find it listed on Trip Advisor). It is near Termini, not a "beautiful" area, but safe and VERY convenient to public transportation to anywhere in Rome or surrounding areas. Several years ago, we spent 6 nights at Hotel Concordia, near to Spanish Steps. It was very nice, but we have decided that spending an extra $200 per night just to stay in a certain area is not worth it. But that is just us. Rome is not all that big and pretty easy to get around. Good luck.

for all your help! I should have been more explicit about "reasonable price". I was looking for something under 200 euros per night. You've given me some good ideas and I appreciate it.

One of the gentlemen in our group has mobility issues which is why we want to be close to either the Spanish Steps (walk to dinner etc.) or the Vatican (close to all the HOHO buses).

Can you recommend a hotel in either area? We want a clean, nice hotel at a reasonable price for 4 nights in April. Thanks!

I'd recommend the Navona Gallery Suites, it's between the Vatican & Trevi near the Piazza Navona.

Som

We went through VRBO.com (vacation rentals by owner) and for about $220 per night got a 2 bedroom/2 bath flat about a block from the Vatican in a great building with full kitchen, sat. TV/Internet and a washer and dryer (big if you are coming off a 12 day cruise). The place was spotless and staying in flat or villa is really fun (much more fun than any hotel!)

We have used the site many times and never been disappointed!

for all your help! I should have been more explicit about "reasonable price". I was looking for something under 200 euros per night. You've given me some good ideas and I appreciate it.

One of the gentlemen in our group has mobility issues which is why we want to be close to either the Spanish Steps (walk to dinner etc.) or the Vatican (close to all the HOHO buses).

Definately check out Hotel Mozart. Almost no steps to get into lobby (1 or 2 small ones) and then they have an elevator to all floors. Some hotels do not. And the price should be in your budget area.

There is more to see and do in the immediate area around the Spanish Steps than the Vatican, but that is just my feeling. We are staying at the Hotel De Petris (5 min. from Sp. Steps and Trevi Ftn.). They are a REALLY nice hotel with rates around $115/nt for a superior room. They are also very close to local transportation options.

Of course, there are lots of places to stay so your choices will be hard. Check out your perspective hotels direct websites to make sure they are accessible to people with mobility issues and email them directly if need be to get accurate info. I hope this has helped! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I would not stay near the Vatican. We did a Grand Circle tour this past May and our hotel was near the Vatican. There is nothing to do there.

We wished that they had put us in a hotel in town. We had to get the Metro any time we wanted to go to Rome. If we had a hotel in town we could have toured, gone back to our room and rested in the afternoon, and then gone back out at night when everything was lit.

I would not stay near the Vatican. We did a Grand Circle tour this past May and our hotel was near the Vatican. There is nothing to do there.

We wished that they had put us in a hotel in town. We had to get the Metro any time we wanted to go to Rome. If we had a hotel in town we could have toured, gone back to our room and rested in the afternoon, and then gone back out at night when everything was lit.

This sounds like a marketing language issue. "Near" the Vatican can cover a lot of territory, depending on who you're talking to. A hotel within a couple of blocks of Piazza San Pietro is plenty close enough to walk to most of Rome and there's plenty to see and do in the area.

If, on the other hand, the hotel marketing itself as "near" the Vatican is actually several blocks north or west of the museums entrance or, even worse, the backside of the Vatican property, you are a metro ride away, as the poster points out.

The most central places to stay, for touring purposes, are the areas of Piazza Navona, Piazza Rotonda (Pantheon), Largo Argentina, and Campo dei Fiori.

The hotel I am recommending is not near the Spanish Steps and does not really fit in the budget but it is the best! The Albergo del Senato is directly across from the Pantheon

and the best, best rooftop terrace that looks out over all of Rome and the Vatican.

Wonderful!

if you really want to stay near the vatican try hotel diplomatic. it is a short walk to the vatican and a block from the tiber. bus stop in front of the hotel and one bus to downtown rome.

like the other poster mentioned a centrally located hotel would be a much better choice. we like to stay near via veneto. go to romehotels.com and it will show you a city map, select areas of interest, and then go thru the listings and reviews.

Archived